1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Skinks *Pic Heavy*

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pinkus, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Let me give you a little background. 8 years ago I got a C in freshmen highschool art and never looked back. Needless to say, I don't classify myself as artistic, but I'm starting to like painting lizardmen. Besides these 10 skinks, I have painted 20 goblin spearmen, a dwarf cannon and some dwarf warriors from the BFSP. So be easy on me :p

Sorry about the lighting or the pic size, its harder than it seems to get actual good pictures of such tiny things. I decided against painting them all one color scheme. Seemed to me a bunch of skinks together should all look different. My Saurus I'll probably do the same scheme on. Right now I have 1 paint brush, the BFSP paint set and another paint set my wife found me. The moss is just a $1.00 bag of fake moss from Walmart.

all.jpg
    all1.jpg
    all2.jpg
    blackred.jpg
    blackred1.jpg
    purple.jpg
    purple1.jpg
    The sun was setting and I wanted to get a picture of this guy. Its before I finished his base, but now he has moss like the rest.

70 points down, only 2180 left!

2. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Very well painted ;)

It will be interesting to see how your 'multicoloured' look will transfer over to your battle line. It would look really cool and vibrant (maybe even giving your opponent a seizure!), but maybe not to unified as an army. I imagine there could also be some difficulty telling the difference between your different skink units (maybe use slightly different base styles between units?).

3. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Yeah I'm thinking of going with 1 color scheme for my saurus, but I haven't really pinned down what I actually want. I kind of like the yellow/orange/red combos, but both yellows I have are really watery, so I'd have to go buy some more I think.

4. Apollo3
    Skink

Apollo3 New Member

Those are solid tabletop-quality paintjobs with nice use of highlighting, nothing to be ashamed of! You're too hard on yourself. you're not a bad painter at all. I like the darker skin tone on the 4th pic down.

5. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Thanks!

I am going with a purple theme to my first saurus unit. Man do they take forever to paint compared to skinks. It's looking okay. I'll post pics when I get more done.

6. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

very well painted i love the moss aswell. class . how long does it take u to paint each one??

7. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

I believe these guys were taking somewhere between 10-15 minutes each.

8. FACEY
    Skink

FACEY New Member

sweet. i experimented with a few schemes befor. i ended up doing bright yellow with black scales, looks class i think and that takes me while to do each skink so well done.

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

That looks pretty good! Have you tried any other lizardmen before? I would be interested to see how your Saurus Warriors look.

10. lord marcus
    Skink

lord marcus New Member

i love the basing, how'd you do it?

secondly, i don't belive skinks of the same unit should be different colors, as they are each others "spawn-kin" right?

11. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I think it's up to the painter to decide what sort of colors to use, whether they use a unified scheme or different colors for each model. I personally use all the same color, but I think that using different colors like this has its own unique look.