1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More info on 8th Edition released today

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Skrox, May 26, 2010.

1. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Well that just blows then. They seem to keep up with the conversion rates for the US at least, and if not I will do the same as you, ordering online from an indy store. Though even the short time I have been playing warhammer I have seen enough markup to make me look at other miniature games instead of getting another army or getting into 40k.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, the new rulebook and special editions are now up for preorder on the GW website!

I must say those dice look spectacular, even though they are priced like gold I think I'm getting me some. I will, of course, preorder from the UK given it is 45 pounds (~$80 Aus) and retailing in Australia for a hefty $124! Not as bad as the special editions though, $200 Aus when they are 75 quid, what a joke. The magic cards look interesting, might be worth the buy.

3. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

The book actually ended up a reasonable price(conversion rate issues aside), a markup of $15-20 US, but for the extras(doubled size essentially) that are in there I am okay with that. Like I hoped it was still within my $80 dollar range :) Now the only question is do I pony up for a special edition one.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I'm in for the normal $74. I just cannot justify the special edition. I will buy the counters at a later time and maybe the spell cards.

5. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Ya that's what I decided, I tried justifying it but I couldn't. The spell cards look interesting and I might end up with a set as well. The counters look to busy for my tastes, I like my counters to be simple and utilitarian.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea I bit the bullet and went ahead and pre ordered the regular edition book, the templates, and the magic cards.

The rest of the stuff looked good, but mostly unneciary.

Ps. I am knda disapointed that the "Brass" is actualy pre painted plastic.

Pps. Check back here again, he has a lot more info including most of the spells.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253845 :smug:

7. wolfspirit
    Skink

wolfspirit New Member

Does anyone know what the magic cards are?
    The new rulebook looks really good but the price is ridiculous me and my friend had a little bet about the price we both lost lol (I bet the price would go up to £40 he bet it would stay the same)

8. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

When you factor in that the new rulebook almost doubled in size from the previous version(and the price did not double) the price really isn't all that bad. Sure it went up by about a 1/3 but most of the rumors had it being more expensive then it ended up at.

The new magic cards are just a deck of cards where each card is a spell in each of the 8 lores in the book. It is good for quick reference after randomly selecting them prior to the start of the game. For fun you could also shuffle it up pick spells that way(not in a tourney but in a fun casual game it would be interesting).

9. wolfspirit
    Skink

wolfspirit New Member

The cards seem a bit of a waste of money then seen as gw have a free pdf of the old ones on the web (but if the spells change then I suppose it might be worth it)

10. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Each lore got a complete revamp, so all new spells and the old spells that they kept will work differently.

11. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I bit the bullet and became one of the lucky 3500 to get the special edition book. Once I get it I'll let you guys know if it was worth it! I couldn't justify it other than to make my friends jealous. Also ponied up for the spell cards, those seem pretty useful.

12. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

My buddy did the same, I would have but I just had a kid so I can only justify so much to my wife :)

13. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, if I order from a UK indy with a discount I can get the new hardcover book cheaper than the old 7th ed one was retailing here, and I believe even around the same as the 6th ed one was. So from that perspective I'm happy with the price.

None of the templates appeal to me, painted plastic but priced like they should be metal. I will just stick with old templates and a tape measure. And the combat res calculator looks like it would take more time than it would save for us. Its pretty easy to work it out in your head once you have played a few battles, good for beginners though I guess.

14. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Plus with no unit strength to figure out now, it should be even faster for combat res calcs.

15. ColdBlood666
    Chameleon Skink

ColdBlood666 New Member

I also ordered the Collectors edition. The spell cards seem useful as well but I was not impressed with anything else. Ill stick to the standard templates and the res counter seemed pretty ridiculous imo.

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Just as an update, I'm really enjoying the collector's edition. Really an awesome tome and fun to read from.

Spell cards are extremely useful, and can be used to mark units with remains in play effects. Pretty darn handy.

17. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Good t o hear, my buddy loves his collectors too. It is really freaklin nice with that parchment paper, not sure Id want to bring it to a game or anything.

And I caved and bought the cards too. I am happy with them but I want to get some card protectors, but since they are oversized I will need to look for specific ones.

18. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

The magic cards dont have the numbers that the spells are in the lore. That is the one bit i don't like about them.