1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lurker Rehabilitation Program

Discussion in 'Ideas, problems and feedback' started by Scalenex, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It seems have the posts in the introduction forums are from long long-time lurkers introducing themselves.

Any idea on how to encourage more participation from lurkers?

Any idea on what a standardized welcome to the forum message would look like for a lurker?

2. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

That is a good question, I know that it took me a few years being a lurker before I finally created an account.

I don't think we can generalize why someone is lurking, as the reason most probably depend on the user.

Some might just browser the paint blogs, others the rules section from time to time.

So I am not certain how we can encourage them to join and post, other than keeping the friendly atmosphere we already have.

In regards to the standardized welcome message, I am not certain I understand what your referring to here?

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Perhaps some sort of scripted PM that get sent when they create an accaount..?
    (I guess thats possible)

4. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Just to clarify, are we talking about ways to get lurkers to register and participate, or just participate (assuming they have already registered)?

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Both I guess, though I assume most lurkers registered and never posted (that way you can keep track of unread posts easier). The odds of getting a casual lurker to register and then participate are fairly low.

When I write a response to a newbies introduction, I like to talk about how good the various subforums are. I assume most lurkers already know what we have so that's out, so I'm not sure what to say.

For a standardized response I was thinking something humor filled, maybe with a Spawning of Bob cartoon or some lurker based artwork by N810.

6. Prof
    Saurus

Prof Member

I lurked in the shadows for about six months without registering, just browsing and reading stuff.
    i jumped in when i had a question i couldn't see the answer to, and there was a thread i wanted to comment on.

what encouraged me was the 'no question is a stupid question' attitude of the forum, we should keep that up!
    maybe a dedicated subforum to newbies so they can ask basic questions without feeling they are wasting peoples time? I know the stickies help,but still..
    this is where someone points out the already existing subforum i have totally missed ;P