1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Lord Pacha-Kamak's army - My painting log (new WIP pictures)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by SeBM, Dec 3, 2010.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah a few rocks would be good. I also find a few small bare patches (sand painted brown) looks good to break up the grass a bit. I know you are trying to go for the clean mountains look, but a few bare patches will still look good.

2. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Finally an update for my painting log!!!!

I've finished converting 10 Chameleon Skinks, 2 of which required custom made blowpipes since GW decided to sell 12 Skinks with 10 blowpipes in the battalion box!!!

Here's a picture of one model. For more, visit my blog at http://sebmpainting.blogspot.com/

100_1577.jpg

I'm also working on the 2 front ranks of my HW/Shield Saurus Warriors unit. Expect another update soon!

3. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

The positive side of this is that you now have 2 blowpipes that look much better than GW's :D

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Thanks for the compliment Bork, I'm quite fond of them as a matter of fact! I'll try to paint the unit during the week-end, I know I can pull it off since I've painted 12 skinks in a night once. It was 6h30 of hard work but over 2 days this time, i should be all right :D.

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Looks great, although I've been removing the crests too, as it doesn't seem very chameleon like to have that sort of crest. Some photos of my most recent chameleon conversions coming soon...

6. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I thought about removing the crest and giving them those weird eyes at first. The I looked at picture over the Internet and found out that a lot of chameleon species actually have crests of some sorts. I still haven't made up my mind about the weird eyes, but I'll be keeping them crests :D.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i would go for the eyes. that way it becomes much more obvious that it is in fact supposed to be a chameleon. at the moment it may be too much like a normal skink.

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

The eyes IMO is what makes the chameleon stand out from the regular skink.
    Personally when I'm gonna go for my chamelon conversions (does anyone by GW's models?) I want to try do the funny looking thumb mittens-hands they got:
    main.jpg

The crest is fine to leave, but the defining aspect of a chameleon to med is the hands and especially the eyes. Good look with the unit :)

Attached Files:

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have a mixture of skink converted (with the bulbous eyes) and bought chameleons. Initially, I had about 6 or 7 chameleons and converted another 4 out of skinks. I left the crest on one to use him as Oxytyl. Ebay is an awesome thing. I have never purchased chameleons from GW. I now own a total of 29 chameleons and the actual Oxytyl model. So 30 in all. I will take most, if not all of them in games over 3000 pts.

10. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Here's my new completed salamander. Only need to fix the basing and it'll be considered 100% complete. I'm currently taking a break from my Lizards and painting some Khadoran troops from Warmachine and I'm really enjoying it, I'll post an update on this plog once I'm donw with the 1st warjack.

100_1588.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1593.jpg

11. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Hah, funny thing, I quitted my khador to start paint lizardmen instead. So many large flat areas. Someday I maybe strip my guys and paint them in a more exiting scheme than army green. Fun game though.

12. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

very nice color on the salamander, but he does suffer from the "crazy eye" syndrome. look yourself in the mirror, and you will see that usually you cant see any white above or below the pupil. only if you do the "crazy-eyes" you will do that. for me that is a dealbreaker, and really brings the model down, which is sad, because that is the only real flaw.

it should be easy to fix, just by narrowing the eyes a bit with green paint.

GL
    /T

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Agreed; the eyes are a little distracting. But otherwise, it's a cracking good model.

14. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Thanks for the kind words! It was my 1st time painting eyes this way so that might explain why I made that mistake. I'll quickly correct it!

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Paint some eyelids over the top white bit and they will look fine. ;)

16. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I've fixed it and I will post some pictures tomorrow if I can get decent comparable lighting as the one I got to take the picture.

17. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Very nice tip! That is going to help me a ton too. I make rotten looking eyes. I normally give up on making a pupil and paint them a solid color.

Nice sally btw. I like the fins. Nicely done. Wish i could make the red crested skins look more like that. Mine really bring the skinks down imo.

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

19. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

@ Danbot : It's really easy to make such a fin, I'll post a tutorial if you are interested.

20. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I think it's my lack of finesse with a brush that makes my crests lack the detail and fine highlights I'd like in my crests. I can't do such fine white highlights (i try). And it looks like your fin has a tint of either yellow or orange. Maybe. Or it's just blood red.

If there is a secret other than practice to make fine highlights, by all means make a tutorial. I'm use that. haha. If not, just telling me the colors would fit my needs and I'll just get to practicing. XP