1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/Kroxigor Conversion)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Arsenal, Nov 23, 2009.

1. RickStah-NL
    Saurus

RickStah-NL New Member

Re: The Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update CoC - DE Cold One)

yea i bought myself 2 boxes yesterday :) there are some really nice parts in there next to the coldones.
    also i bought a box of 2 empire wizards this gives you several super cool conversion parts.
    (example: i there is a burning blade in the box :rolleyes: )

ontopic: realy like the coldones.

2. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Re: The Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update CoC - DE Cold One)

I finished up the CoC unit in full with the standard.

CoC Standard Bearer
    This guy is painted just as the rest of the unit. The standard uses Ice Blue for it's highlights. I used that color in all the feathers on the whole unit, as well as most of the jewels and what not. I need to trim the plant on his base as well, just letting the glue dry 1st that's keeping it standing...

DSC08139.jpg

DSC08137.jpg

DSC08138.jpg

CoC Unit
    Finally based and complete. This unit took the longest by far to complete....

DSC08140.jpg

DSC08141.jpg

Now I need to figure out what to paint next...

3. RickStah-NL
    Saurus

RickStah-NL New Member

Re: The Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update CoC Unit Complete)

wow looks very very good, nice work!
    maybe you could do an overview pho0to of your army?

Rick

4. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

where can you buy the glossy finnish/auto shade stuff ?
    there realy good :)

5. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Can do, I will set up something tomorrow or this weekend and get the full army-to-date photo up.

Here is a list of UK shops that sell Army Painter products. I would call them to see if they have Quickshade, which is the dip that gives the glossy look.

http://www.thearmypainter.com/partners.php?country=gb

6. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

Thank you muchly, i think ill get some when i start a new army, it wuold take too long to do my lizzy host!!
    apparently there redoing tombkings in may, you'd only have to do them bleached bone then qwik shade then they'd be done!! :D

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats absolutely amazing, looks really cool. Great work!

If I had one small complaint, it would be that the LM standard seems to be just calmly perched on the COs back like he is having a drink or something, especially from the side view, while his mount is ferociously going for the kill.

8. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

He probably just failed his stupidity test :D
    Geko

9. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Ironically enough, when I mounted the STD guy and got it all lined up, he was leaning terrible to the left and the standard was sitting against the head of the guy next to him. I know it looks rather odd, but I sacrificed the angle of the cold one by putting some shale beneath it's right foot to angle it up so the standard was straight.

Sadly the end result is a guy sitting in perfect position on a cold one who looks like he is falling over. But, when in the unit he passes well enough. I will just go with Speedygeko and use the 'stupidity' line if anyone asks. LoL

I wrapped up a Scar Vet and one terradon (no rider no base) and once I get them dipped, hopefully tonight I will get up some more pics, as well as a full army shot.

Thanks for the continued support!

10. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Hello again,

Ok, here is big update. Not only did I finish a Scar-Vet and a Terradon (sans rider), I also managed to take the requested full army pics. It's all below...

Scar-Vet
    This is just Chakax but with Krok-gar's head. I like the look. I just need to add a shield on his side so it fits my usual load-out. I really like the way the face came out so I put up some close ups. He is on a Scibor base, just the rest of my heroes and what-not.

DSC08186.jpg

DSC08187.jpg

DSC08188.jpg

DSC08189.jpg

DSC08190.jpg

Terradon
    Like all the beasts in the army I went red for the main color. He came WAY more shiny than I would have liked so I will look into dulling him down. The rider will be painted next then pinned and attached. This guy too is on a Scibor base.

DSC08191.jpg

DSC08192.jpg

DSC08194.jpg

DSC08195.jpg

Full Army to Date
    Here are all the models done to date quickly gathers up on one half of my gaming table along with some of my terrain. Enjoy!

DSC08197.jpg

DSC08198.jpg

DSC08199.jpg

DSC08200.jpg

DSC08205.jpg

DSC08206.jpg

DSC08207.jpg

DSC08208.jpg

DSC08209.jpg

Sorry for the mediocre quality, my camera isn't very good, and the lighting in that room is weak.

11. Fuzoya
    Skink

Fuzoya New Member

Re: The Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update Full Army + More!)

Wow! thats an impressive army I must say!
    I really liked the stegadon with Tehenhauin on top and the battle standard from the scar-veteran behind him!

12. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

Looking good, id love to see some pics of the steg and the krox, also i love your terradon and chak-gar basing techniques :D
    Geko

13. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Again, sorry for the long delay, but I have managed to completed some new models, including a Carnosaur, unit of Sallies, complete Terradon, and I build a new character. Here you go!

Carnosaur
    This is the standard GR Carno but I swapped the dudes head with the Chakax one and removed the back pole. I find the red with dip comes out super glossy and I found a way to reduce it, so I probably will.

DSC08249.jpg

DSC08250.jpg

DSC08252.jpg

DSC08253.jpg

DSC08254.jpg

Salamanders
    I followed the same red/white scheme for all the monster models. I added yellowed grass and some burnt looking skeleton bits to reinforce the fact they like to burn stuff.

DSC08255.jpg

DSC08256.jpg

DSC08257.jpg

Terradon with Rider
    Same terradon as in other posts, only this time with a rider. I also applied some paint on Testor's Dull Coat to reduce the shine on the terradon. The rider doesn't have it on him. It works really well to reduce the shine. You can really see the difference if you go back a few posts and check the last time I put him up.

DSC08260.jpg

DSC08258.jpg

DSC08259.jpg

New Hero/Lord conversion
    I wanted to make a unique looking hero conversion with the fluff of being a Daemon hunter, hence the Bloodletter head. I used the older Cold One model with the new Cold One champ head with added bits and extra Steggie horns. I also swapped the end of the tail with a tail end from a Temple Gaurd.

The sword is from the Empire Wizard Sprue. I also added a Skink buddy on his base, represting the fluff of his buddy that collects the heads he lops off. Now, before you all claim 'oh it's not a lizarman style sword' the idea is that it was gifted to him from the High Elves at the Citadel of Dusk. I can use it as the Blade of Realities or whatever, but it will be white-blue flame in the end.

I can't wait to paint this guy up.

DSC08262.jpg

DSC08261.jpg

DSC08265.jpg

DSC08267.jpg

DSC08266.jpg

Enjoy!

14. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Re: Legion of Abraxas - IMG Heavy (update w/Carnosaur +more)

Love that last conversion, awesome model.

15. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Very nice, good work overall. My only gripe would be the teeth on the carnosaur being a weird colour for bone, some with the hornes on his rider.

16. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

dude, your converted hero is awesome! :jawdrop: i can't wait to see the finished model.

also, your carnosaur's eye in this pic
    DSC08253.jpg

looks freakin' sweet! the shadow of the picture or whatever makes it shine almost. i love it

17. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

man totaly awsome army!!! The best i ever seen of lizardmen!!
    hope some day im going to paint my army in similar style!

18. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I personally am very happy with the result, especially for the amount of work put into it. Some people think 'dipping' is cheating, but I think whatever achieves the results you like is what's best for you.

It's a super simple system. Build, prime white, simple base coat, paint on the dip, let it dry, and when it's done if you want you can de-gloss it. I can do a full unit in several hours easy now. I did 10 skinks in 3 hours the other night.

One key thing, is that the lighter the color you use, the better the dip will look when applied. So trend very light and you should be happy with your results.

More to come in the future, that army is not yet complete!
    ;)

19. probody
    Jungle Swarm

probody New Member

That saurus hero on the cold one is fantastic, wow!

I think the sword is perfect i want it for my army, burning blade of chotec! my main enemy is the wood elves. all treemen would fear your hero!

20. b3rtil
    Saurus

b3rtil Member

I would not say cheating, and I totally agree with you that for ppl. who wants a good looking army to play with, dipping is a great option. Though If you are trying to become a great painter I feel that dipping would halt your progress since you do little other techniques than assemble, prime and simple details and then paint on the quick shade. might be wrong, just my opinion.

But I guess you can't argue with the results ;) still a sweet army you have.

ps. this post was in no way a insult for ppl. that easily jump to conclusions ;)