1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Lazoxoatls Army

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lazoxoatl, May 20, 2009.

1. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Hi. I made my own command group for R&F skink unit. I want to share my ideas and ask you for help, because those guys aren't finished yet.

Brave:
    th_Skink-004-Brave1.jpg
    th_Skink-004-Brave2.jpg
    th_Skink-004-Brave3.jpg
    Well. This is just skink and some greenstuff :) Nothing special

Standard Bearer:
    th_Skink-003-StdBearer2.jpg
    th_Skink-003-StdBearer1.jpg
    th_Skink-003-StdBearer3.jpg
    Normal skink with some bit from TG sprue. I want to add some other acessories soon. I also want to paint the eyes of "skull" as some gems. Does anyone know how to do that?

Musician:
    Skink-002-Musician1.jpg
    Skink-002-Musician2.jpg
    Musician with gong, for which I used Skeleton Warriors shield (obviously :)). But not sure, how to paint the skull on the stick (right hand). I am deciding between goldish and bony (?) one.

And this is another skink conversion. I call him Nightstalker I want to play 5 of those as Chameleons.
    SV400116.jpg
    SV400115.jpg
    SV400118.jpg

And sorry for my bad English ;)

2. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Re: Skink Commandgroup

I love that crouched Skink. That will be one sexy miniature when it's all painted up.

--DF2K

3. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

Oooh.. that crouching skink sure looks nice indeed.. I should play along with my skirmishers.. they look so boring now.

You could paint the skull some indiana jones style.. Gold with eyes that look shiny.
    No offence.. but i think the standard bearer looks a little silly :p poor skink.

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Those are looking real good!

5. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Ou.. Thanks for comments..
    The crounching one is my favourite too. I wanted to make him a year ago, but I didn't gathered enough courage :) It was quite tricky with all the legs amputations :)

I'm not satisfied with std. bearer too. As I said, I will add some details and acessories (and shield). And I hope, he will look better with finished base.

Speaking about skull with shiny eyes, I think, I've got some luminescent putty :) It might look scary in dark, muhehe... I think, I'll do some experiments...

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the standard bearer is the pole is a bit short. They are really meant to be huge and stand out above the unit. It looks effective though, and it is clear to see what it is meant to be.

The musician looks great! And of course great work on the crouching skink, I am keen to see him finished. Hacking up legs is fun isn't it. :p

For painting, I would make the musician fairly basic, since he has all the gold on the gong already. Make the stick a wood brown and make the skull bone, easy. And gems in the standard bearer... They can be a bit tricky until you get used to it. The easy way of course is to paint them a light colour then put ink and gloss varnish over them to make them shine. The harder way is to kind of reverse highlight, with the darker areas at the top of the gem and the lighter areas at the bottom. Then at the end put a tiny dot of white in the dark area as light hitting it. Common colours are green, red or blue. There are a few good tutorials on the GW site, check the High Elf section for gems.

7. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Great work!

As others have already commented, the standard bearer seems to be missing something. Just a thought, perhaps you could try and reposition the hands to make him hold the standard with both hands (cut off his left hand and turn it so it can 'grab' the bottom part of the pole) and also the pole needs to be a bit longer IMO.

8. Jim
    Skink

Jim New Member

Really nice conversions m8, love the musician so much so i would buy that if it were a GW model, really really like it

keep it up!

9. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Decided to change topic and put here some other models.

Cold-one Rider: still needs some details... but I want to hear your opinions :)
    COR3.jpg
    COR2.jpg
    COR1.jpg

Others will follow (I hope)..

10. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

11. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

The new guys looks great, cool posing. One thing I would like to say about the crouching skink though, it I think his front foot should be touching the ground, so another cut maybe, just looks like hes kinda floating, other than that looks fantastic.

12. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Ninja skink! I like it!

--DF2K

13. Okopipi
    Saurus

Okopipi New Member

Good work man! It gives me a lot of ideas.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

15. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

I have to make a base for him ;) There would be some stone (or something like that) which he would be standing on ;) But thank you for this observation.

And thank you all for comments.

Right now I am working on "toad hopper" (house rule, skink fast cavalry). Work with gs is really pain in the *** :) I'll post some pics soon (probably ;)).

16. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

It's been a while I last posted in this thread (over 7 months actually). But now I have finally some new stuff. So, here they come:

First of all my two Skink Priests (the one with the heart in his hand isn't finished yet; and also the staff of FeatherCloak Priest needs to be finished):
    PriestCloak3.jpg
    PriestCloak4.jpg
    PriestSacrifice1.jpg
    PriestSacrifice2.jpg
    PriestSacrifice3.jpg

This guy is my converted and finally painted Brave for the Skink Cohort (also can be used as a Chief, but I don't play foot chiefs in my army)
    CohortBrave1Color.jpg
    CohortBrave2Color.jpg
    CohortBrave3Color.jpg

Do you remember the "Ninja Skink"? Got him painted. He still need work on the base and the pillar, but he is almost finished.
    NightrunnerJump2Color.jpg
    NightrunnerJump1Color.jpg

And here comes my new conversion. Again it's the Nightrunner (specially trained skink hunter, who I use as chameleon).
    NightrunnerTree1.jpg
    NightrunnerTree2.jpg
    NightrunnerTree3.jpg

C&C welcome as always ;)

17. vict0988
    Cold One

vict0988 Member

god damm it that second ninja is awesome truly awesome man id wish i could make such cool stuff!

18. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Well, it's not that hard ;) You just need to try ;) All my conversions are a kind of experiment and they never turn out how I intended... But I keep trying ;)

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow,
    your comando Skinks are awesome. :D

20. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Its an honour to hear it (read it :)) from you ('cause I really like and admire your work)