1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW KoW?

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by classicflava, Sep 18, 2015.

1. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

Just curious how many of you guys are playing KoW right now? The salamander list is a ton of fun and accounts for almost all of the model range. I have played 6 games now and the more i play it the more i like it. Tight ruleset with a ton of tactical depth in the movement phase.

2. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

I want to try it out, but the "no flee" thing annoys me a bit

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I Googled around and didn't find any Danish KoW community or anything so I quickly dropped it :p

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Personally, I'm curious how this 8th edition vs. 9th Age vs. KoW dynamic works out.

5. classicflava
    Cold One

i thought the no flee thing would bug me to but it really doesnt. There is so much more tactical depth in the movement phase that you really forget about fleeing entirely after the first couple games.

6. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i've never tried KoW2 (yet) so please could you explain what is superior, according to your point of view, about tactical depth if compared to WH?

7. classicflava
    Cold One

Units cannot manuvuer as freely which really makes positioning important. flank and rear charges matter much more because you double your attacks for flank charges and triple them for rear charges. I have heard of the tactic of layering units but havent gotten enough games in to try it out yet

8. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

I tried KoW a few weeks ago, against what would have been a WFB Wood Elf army (no idea what they were called in KoW - I was too busy trying to remember rules etc).
    As mentioned above Movement is such a massive part of the game and flank/rear charges are huge (especially the latter).
    If is a very different mechanic in terms of fighting but once you get used to it, it plays well.
    (Oh, my Salamanders, sorry, Lizardmen virtually tabled the pointy eared tree huggers, which was nice!)

classicflava likes this.
  9. Rapax
    Skink

Rapax Member

I agree with above posts. The game is really won or lost in the movement phase.

But there are two other points that puts it over WFB in my opinion.
    1. Balance
    KoW is not perfectly balanced, but MUCH better than Warhammer. Units are within a reasonable power level relative to each other. Almost every unit in the game is viable.

2. Multibasing
    In KoW, a unit is a block of a predetermined size*. There is no need to make individual models. Therefor, you can model your unit onto a single big base, which not only is very practical when playing but also allows for interesting dioramas (google "kings of war dioramas").

*For example, a unit of basic orcs comes in three sizes - troop (5x2), regiment (5x4) and horde (10x4). As an orc sits on a 25mm square base, those units would have a 125x50mm, 125x100mm and 250x100mm footprint respectively. As long as the unit has the correct footprint, and it is clear what they are, it can be modeled (almost) freely.