1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Kings of War free rules?

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Iskander, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Apparently Mantic is giving away the rules to KoW 2.0. The catch appears to be that you have to sign up for their newsletter. Sigh.

Anyway, I know virtually nothing about this system, except that some people say they're switching to it over AoS. I haven't tried it myself. However, given the current situation with GW's games, I'm going to check this out. (Also, rumor is they're going to make a Lizardmen-lookin' army, so there's that too.). I leave it up to your own judgment:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/kings-of-war-2-0-free-rules-from-mantic.html

P.S.: If you don't already know, BoLS is a shameless pile of clickbait, so take their hype with a grain of salt :p

2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

HA. As if their "WOW"/"OMG"/"RUMOUR TIDLEWAVE [...]"s weren't indicative of their journalistic skills.

I'm unlikely to move away from GW games anytime soon due to the wants of my opponents, but I'd be very interested in new Lizardmen Seraphon proxies :)

Iskander likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Is KoW 2.0 the current edition?

4. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's the next edition that they're putting out any week now, to capitalize on the end of Warhammer-That-Was. Don't take my word on that though.

5. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

IMO, unless they are drastically changing how KoW played, it will be like the first one. The first one was as boring as bat shit.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

The rules for KoW are available on their website, as well as all the current armies. You can start playing this game right now if you'd like, just no Lizards yet.

Free Rules for Kings of War

Iskander likes this.
  7. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I did not know that. Thanks!

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I backed the Kickstarter they did last fall. I have updates from Mantic. Here is what they are telling backers:
    • Kings of War 2nd Edition Hardback Rulebook sent to the printers July 3rd
    • Next step with it is the print-proofing stage
    • Complete Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook PDF download for KS backers ready to send out, July 5-9
    • A Condensed v2 short-rulebook as a free download for the general public scheduled for 10th July
    • General release of the KoW 2nd Ed. hardback rulebook "end of August".
    The link @Qupakoco posted goes to: the lists and the condensed (32 page) version for KoW v1.

Short Answer: Version 2 is about to launch.

edit: added red letters for NB

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Qupakoco and Iskander like this.
  9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

They have an unofficial army list for Lizardmen (though its for the version one of the game that's going to be replaced soon). There is talk that they will like get an official list fairly soon.

Qupakoco likes this.
  10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

why?

11. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

It was so plain. No magic, overly simple rules and we found that artillery was just plain whack. Horses for courses though, I can see the appeal for some people, just not for me and my playgroup.

borkbork likes this.
  12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Tell me more about why artillery was 'whack'.
    BTW:
    Whack = bad?
    Whack = short for wacky?

13. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Sorry, maybe I should have said to strong. We found that if one side had artillery they had a massive advantage, that could not be matched.

Tldr: to strong and undercosted

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Stronger than cannons in 8th edition or on par?

15. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

The thing with cannons is they can shoot twice (hitting on 4+, with rerolls if an Engineer is nearby), they can split those attacks across two units if they want, wounds on 2+ with -2 rend so some things might have a 5+ or 6+ save, but most things still won't have any, and the d6 wounds are applied to the UNIT not the MODEL. So a single cannon has the potential to kill up to 12 models! ...and you can have as many cannons as you want...

However, they do require a crew to operate, and crew are pretty weak (6+ save) so you can just kill the crew (3 wounds with 6+ save). But, you will still have to eventually kill the cannon if you need to table your opponent.

16. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Stronger in that there was not as much anti-cannon as there is in 8th. I know that cannons are strong, but most armies have at least some way to deal with them quickly.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I read a release from Mantic about what to expect in the new edition (that in itself is amazing compared to GW's sealed lips) that the next edition will be largely like the first but they are making artillery and cavalry a bit more expensive and infantry a bit less expensive points-wise to try to balance things.

Just looked the rules. It's what 9th edition should have been. It's largely the same as 8th but they use "4+" like stats in lieu of a chart. My main misgiving with Kings of War is that the magic aspect of the game is extremely tiny. I really liked the "poker" system of 8th edition magic.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Agreed! Other than the 6-dicing of certain spells, magic in 8th was splendid. Toning down the uber spells would have been a very easy fix, and the magic phase would be near perfect.

19. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

where can i download KoW1 rules? It seems mantic has removed them, but i'd like to give them a read before v2 comes out o_O

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Can anyone tell me if this free v2 set of rules for KoW is a full version or some sort of truncated set of rules?