1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Jungle Swarms and Rippers

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Eyeless1, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Xbalanque
    Saurus

Xbalanque Member

You guys might be able to give me some advise on the swarms.
    I am just making six of them from left over bits.
    I am curious what I am might be able to pull of with them.

With kind regards Maximilian

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

With swarms I think your best bet is to use them in tandem with something like saurus warriors. You want to combo charge your enemy in such a way that the swarms only clip the corner of the unit (or flank, rear). That way you minimize the attacks that can be directed at your swarms (which bleed combat resolution points) but are able to give your saurus poison.

3. Xbalanque
    Saurus

Xbalanque Member

I just checked the rules about swarms while the glue has dried.
    I found they are skirmishers and have to be at least two in one unit. Do you suggest 3 a two or two a 3.
    Putting all six in one units does not seem useful to me.

By the way thank you for the fast response on that topic.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've personally never used Swarms myself, I've just read about strategies involving them. I'm not entirely sure what the ideal sized unit is but I definitely wouldn't go investing too many points in them since they are considered fairly underpowered. I think you're right that 6 would be way too many.

You might find some useful info here...
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/jungle-swarms.13687/

5. Xbalanque
    Saurus

Xbalanque Member

Hmm they did a lot of mathhammmering there , seems I have to figure it out on my own.
    I guess I wills tart of with 2 times three at the flanks of my main battle block.
    Thanks again for posting this link here.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No problem... hopefully you found some useful stuff in there!

7. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Never used the Jungle Swarms, but when I played Tomb Kings, I gathered some experience with Tomb Swarms, which are very similar. Choosing the target is key. I loved doubling up on my friend's Ogre cannon and forcing him to choose between shooting one of the two units about to charge (swarms or Tomb Scorpions), or try to get one last meaningful shot. Though Tomb Swarms have the Entombed Beneath the Sands rule, which makes this tactic easier. Another use was to keep them back and protect the Casket of Souls or the catapults. I guess you could keep them back together with a Bastiladon or Stegadon (which should be charging in, though). I really like the fun little rule that gives other units poison. Too bad they are still rather underwhelming...

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's the real truth of it. They just aren't worth their points. Okay in a fun list though.