1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS I've bought some skinks - what next?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by bigrigbutters, Jun 18, 2018.

1. bigrigbutters
    Jungle Swarm

bigrigbutters New Member

I saw some skinks in my local store and made my first purchase, I've got a set of 24 skinks + the starpriest (couldn't resist those feathers!).

I'm looking to play a small game with my friends next month and I'd like to buy another set of models in order to fill my army out a bit. However I'm a bit wary about buying new models considering everything seems to be a bit up in the air regarding points/AoS2. I've never actually played a proper game of Warhammer so I'm going in completely blind.

What would some good options be? I like the idea of using the skinks as a distraction whilst I use something (perhaps a bastilodon/slann?) to do the bigger damage. I've tried doing a bit of research online but am finding myself a bit overwhelmed. There are some Saurus Gaurd in my local shop which look nice, however I don't want to buy something which I won't end up using in an army.

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

You cannot go wrong with a Bastiladon, Skinks (three boxes is a good number), a Slann, an Astrolith Bearer or a Stegadon IMO.
    The start collecting box is also great value.

ILKAIN likes this.
  3. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I have purchased 2 start collecting boxes and do not regret it at all. Built one as an oldblood on carno, the other as a trog and used the old blood on foot. also the total knights between the two is enough for a fire lance host AND a scar vet on cold one if you work it correctly. I think there is a guide to that somewhere in these forums but I don't recall where

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

It is pinned in the painting/converting section and @Crowsfoot has the link in his signature.

Crowsfoot and ILKAIN like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yeah the link is below in my signature

6. bigrigbutters
    Jungle Swarm

bigrigbutters New Member

Awesome - I'm going to check this guide out. I'm currently in two minds about the starter set, I haven't seen much evidence that the units within the set are particularly strong however it is great value. Perhaps I shouldn't be worrying about the strength of my units when I'm this new to the game though.

I've read a bit of stuff about gaurd being a lot stronger than warriors, which is why I've been leaning towards buying a set of them instead of the starter set, although the value is a bit too good to pass on. I do love that Carnosaur model too...

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

If you follow the tutorial you end up with a lot of extras from the box, it's pretty easy to do with minimal converting skills need, I tried to make it new hobbyist friendly.

The SC box gives you the following,

Carnosaur or Troglodon
    12 warriors
    8 knights

After the tutorial you will have the following,

Carnosaur
    Troglodon
    10 warriors
    7 knights
    1 Scarvet on cold one
    Sunblood
    Oldblood on foot
    Skink priest
    Astrolith bearer

http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...rom-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

bigrigbutters likes this.
  8. bigrigbutters
    Jungle Swarm

bigrigbutters New Member

That's pretty interesting. I've had a glimpse through the guide and I really like what you've done there, I had no idea you could get so much out of a start collecting. I'm slightly concerned about my ability to mould green stuff but I suppose I could leave that until the end.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

You don't have to mould it, just create lines, keep your sculpting tool wet and honestly you will be amazed at how easy it is. ;)

I just finished the Troglodon last night so will post pics tomorrow in the thread.

bigrigbutters likes this.
  10. bigrigbutters
    Jungle Swarm

bigrigbutters New Member

Ah awesome, I can't wait to see it. Yeah I probably shouldn't be intimidated by the greenstuff, I'm amazed at some of the stuff people have been able to create using it.

ILKAIN and Crowsfoot like this.