1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age How have your battles been going?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by themuffinman873, Apr 25, 2016.

1. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Hey there lizardly generals. I have seen a lot of discussion about internal gripes and shortcomings, but how have your battles been going? Are you feeling like the game is pretty balanced against other armies? Are there any aspects about the game that you enjoy more, now that the rules have been tweaked and the magic has been dulled?

Personally, I am loving the new game feel. Although most of our units were toned down, I am really happy to be fielding CoR, and having them be really effective. I like the toned down magic, as I felt too much would ride on the magic phase, basically a WoM roll on turn 2 and 3 would determine whether or not you were going to win the game. Though due to the toned down magic, my Slann has not seen the light of day :(. Disruption to steadfast is a godsend. All the new figures showing how complicated charging works is great. The filling of rules gaps has been spot on. I also had not realized just how much shorter and more organized the main rulebook is, which is great for getting rules information quickly during a match.

I am really enjoying running 10x saurus blocks with no command. They are cheap enough to be throw away, but can crush most other chaff. Monsters are also making a comeback, with a slightly smaller chance of dying outright to a cannon.

One thing I have not tried out is the secondary objectives. Things like "get a scoring unit into enemy deployment zone by the end of the game" seems kind of silly. It promotes a game with less combat. I think scenarios like that should be defender/attacker types where the objectives are different for each side.

So far I have 3 battles, 2 against VC, 1 against OK, all three crushing victories.