1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Holding up big units of spears

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Lachlin, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Lachlin
    Cold One

Lachlin Well-Known Member

So, the situation is big ass brick of skeleton spears (40 or so). It pumps out a poop ton of attacks (like 65, hitting on 4s). I clearly see the short comings in his list building. It not able to take objectives very well since he has the big brick and then a small brick of skellys with spears and 4 characters. So my question is, whats a good way to hold the big brick up while grabbing objectives?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Shadowstrike to assassinate the heroes, shooting with bastiladon or salamaders into the big block, and warriors or skinks to take objectives.

3. Lachlin
    Cold One

I'm looking to hold the unit up. I charged it last night in a team game with 10 saurus and a bastiladon. One of my team mates activated first, so on their activation. The skellies attacked the saurus with 45 attacks and the bastilidon with 27. Wiped out the saurus and put 2 wounds on the bastilidon. Now while this hrld up the brick for that turn. I figure the bastiladon would fall under weight of attacks. Its also hard to assasinte the heroes when they push the wounds off on another unit. What can stand up to that?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Guards and bassy with mystic shied on your guards maybe

Bowser and LordRibbit like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

2 bastiladon and some Kroxigor? Tough to say. Krox will still fall, but should be able to take some out if you pull first activation.

6. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

Guards in a forest next to an ewarden with mystic shield and the eternal starhost. Gives you a fantastic save and the potential to spit out tons of wounds if they haven't moved. Also if you take a starseer as well you can use the rerolls on your guard saves making them even harder to get rid of

Bowser likes this.
  7. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

I would totally ignore the big block and control the rest of the map as it can only hold one objective. Your thoughts ?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Lachlin
    Cold One

Right, but from what I've seen, someting needs to hold it up. Seriously at 1000 points the army id a 40 brick of skellies, a 20 brick of skellies, a banshee, the named vampire character ( kimmler?), and a couple of casters. I watched the brick dump out 150 attacks against a unit of clan rats.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts come to mind. First, as was mentioned above, krox put out a huge number of attacks, particularly the moonhammer. Second, a big brick 40 of saurus warriors should do some work. The key with both of these is to attack first so you cut his numbers down before he attacks. Also, take a Scar Vet on Carnosaur as your general and send him to eat his general.

At 1000 pts, I'd probably field a Scar Vet on Carnosaur, 40 Saurus Warriors, 10 skinks, razordon, Starpriest or priest, and maybe 5 Guard. Send the Scar vet to eat his characters and drop his resiliency. Then charge your warriors in and beat up his skellies. Good luck.

Bowser likes this.
  10. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I forgot how much Razordons can crowd control. How about you keep 1, or if you are really committed to it 2, next to the unit that will face them to eliminate a fair amount of them beforehand ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  11. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one mentioned the stegadon's flamethrower, get that thing real close to the brick and then burn them, you could be in range of 30 of them quite easily and then BAM! That's 13 wounds they have to save. If you're that close you'll get the charge, try and get a corner, hopefully you got full wounds, take a couple out with the horns and then about 4/5 with the stampy stampy. You just killed about half of them. If you got a corner of the unit you'll receive a few hits back, but even if you have all 20 of them attacking you they'll average about 5 wounds against your steggy. Overall, I guess you lose more points in that battle, if you go for a shadowstrike formation and tell the skinks to reroll 1s on the skellies, you can move them 2d6" at the start, then d6" because of the stegadon and you'll easily be in range to shoot them a bit and then they'll get only 2-3 wounds on your steggy because you'll get them under 20 models. The ripperdactyls can then take out a few of the heroes!

Ecozh, Seraphage, tom ndege and 2 others like this.