1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help i want to build my first army

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bryson whidby, Jul 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bryson whidby
    Jungle Swarm

bryson whidby New Member

I've been a huge fan of war hammer for a very long time and i think i want to finally make a aos army for myself what is an entry level seraphon army, also what are good ways to obtain cheaper units i am on kind of a budget since I am a student.

2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I am not an expert in the ways of AOS, but the army battlebox is always a good way to start.\

As far as cheap models, you can never go wrong with ebay, although amazon.com and websites such as the War Store are good starts as well.

3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Sometimes independent retailers sell GW´s products for less money. If you look around your city you might well find something. Also, in Christmas GW makes big bundles with sometimes some kind of price reduction.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

We certainly have the resources to help you get started with Age of Sigmar (or old school 8th ed, Kings of War, and 9th Age).

The Battle box is definitely your best bet for a starter. You can also use left over bits to make an extra character or two depending on what you do with the main build. For instance if you build a Carnosaur you can use the Skink Priest Troglodon rider to make a Skink Priest on foot with relatively little fuss. Reverse with the Saurus Carnosaur rider if you build the Troglodon, you can make a Saurus character on foot.

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome,

By far your best option is the Start Collecting Seraphon boxset, you can get this for £40 in the UK (sorry don't know where you are from)

From the box you will have the following

1 Scarvet/Oldblood on Carnosaur
    8 Saurus knights - convert a Saurus knight into a Scarvet on Coldone easy to do.
    1 Skink priest - converted from the Troglodon oracle
    12 Saurus warriors- Convert one into a Oldblood on foot and another into a Astrolith bearer, easy to do with spare bits.

This gives you a nice 940 points worth of models, not a legal army but you only need to add another 10 warriors to make it legal.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

You can buy also a box of skinks, easily convert 10 of them into chama skinks (we have totorials that explain how to do it), convert another one into a Skink Chief, and the rest are good as standard skinks.

There, 380 army points!

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Greetings! Certainly the Start Collecting set is the best way to go in Britain (although I think it's £50 rather than £40), and I would recommend getting some Saurus Guard as some more heavy infantry to take care of elite units the ordinary Saurus can't beat and deliver the real hurt to horde enemies like Ghouls and Freeguild State Troops. Certainly I regularly go to independent stockists who deal in Warhammer at cheaper prices than GW, and I also knew of one that sold miniatures that were ready-made and undercoated and just needed painting. Have a little investigation on the internet for any wargames shops in your city and see what they're like.

One of the advantages of AoS is that you can play with your collection as it is while you're still building your army up and then play more organised games with points values in Matched Play when you've got a sizeable army.

Aginor likes this.