1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You could always just use them as Slayers in 8th ed.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

He could also use magnets and have them inter changeable between square and round bases.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

We make no compromises! Mercy is for the weak! :cool:

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That’s what I’m doing for the ones I have so far, but I can’t see how I would be able to use a Magmadroth apart from as a Magma Dragon in Storm of Magic games :(

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Unless you make some house rules for it. Or you could always paint one up as strictly a hobby project.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I was considering making house rules for it as part of an army book specifically for Slayer Cults called Warhammer: Cult of Grimnir. I think if I playtested the rules for it a lot I imagine it could be used in friendly games, although certainly not in tournaments (which is fine for me because I'm not so much a tournament player and also there aren't very many gaming clubs near me anyway).

I've thought of using the piece from the River Trolls set that allows you to make one vomiting:
    Magmadroth lava.PNG
    to put in the Magmadroth's mouth to look as if it's belching out a gout of molten rock at an enemy, which would make it look unique. I'd also be able to make 3 River Trolls for my Greenskin army at the same time!

Crowsfoot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Here's a screenshot of the cover of my unofficial Warhammer: Cult of Grimnir army book:
    Warhammer Cult of Grimnir cover.PNG

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I fully support this and would love to see the pdf.

I really really want to mess about with the magmadroth kit.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Thank you very much! :)

It's still work in progress at the moment but I'll let you know as soon as it's finished. I'll be putting it up on the Great Library for anyone to view when it's complete. I'm also working on Warhammer: Tilea and several other projects at the same time, all of which are largely being put on hold at the moment due to University work.

Regardless, I've been looking at other sources for Slayer armies in the past (including the 6th Edition Dwarf army book and Storm of Chaos) and I'm going to build upon these and the Fyreslayers to produce a diverse army list for the Cult of Grimnir. Generally I plan for the army to be strong but not ridiculous. The initial weakness of the Slayers to start with is of course their lack of armour, but I plan to include quite a few methods in which units in the army can get Ward Saves, more than most of the GW Canon armies as practically all of them wear armour, to counter this so that a Cult of Grimnir player can get his army across the board without it getting shot to pieces. Also I've pictured the Slayers to be quite archaic compared to regular Dwarfs, so they will have no black powder weapons at all but will have access to a variety of different creatures and also the traditional Grudge Thrower and Bolt Thrower, as well as the legendary Malakai Makaisson's Goblin Hewer. Also included will be a smattering of regular Dwarf units such as Warriors, Quarrellers and Hammerers, as the Slayer Keep was also home to non-Slayers, but the army list position of these will be notably different to reflect the more melee-oriented Slayer army.

Also fluff-wise I'm keeping largely to the Warhammer Fantasy fluff but I've also been researching stuff that comes from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay concerning the mannerisms of the Cult, as there's a page about it on Warhammer Fantasy Wiki that is all about it, and most of that data comes from WFRP. Also I like the idea of them searching for Grimnir that comes from Fyreslayers lore, as Grimnir was 'lost' in Warhammer Fantasy too except that nobody is sure if he's still alive or if he's dead, unlike AoS which spoils it by saying he's dead. This would then give the Slayers a 'goal' lorewise other than just looking for glorious deaths, so I'm keeping elements of that in.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Warden likes this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Cool stuff!

Despite no blackpowder, are you going to consider adding Long Drong's Slayer Pirates?

longdrongslayers.jpg

They were probably my favorite old-school dwarf unit, but sadly I never bought any back when they cost $35 for a single unit :argh:

If they ever go back on sale for a limited time on the GW website, someone let me know!

11. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

So. Rogue Trader, eh?

Bored of Nurgle releases, generally speaking. The imperium side of stuff looks to have some fantastic conversion opportunities for AoS though!

Warden likes this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Thanks, I forgot all about them! I was looking for another character to add to the Heroes slot and Long Drong will be perfect! The Pirates will be an upgrade to Troll Slayers that gives them pistols and some special rules I think.

Warden likes this.
  13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

The eel cavalry are finally out! They are a tad expensive at £30 but they are really nice models, especially with the Greek helmets. The Allopex is also a nice model and a bit cheaper. Certainly it would be fun to do an all mounted army of Greek Sea Elf cavalry, with a King as General, Eel cavalry as battlelines and Allopexes as support units. I've done some calculations and a nice round 1000 point army would be a King, 3 units of 3 Morsarr Guard (or 1 unit of 3 and 1 bigger unit of 6 to go out in front and take the hits) and 2 Allopexes. This would make a fast, manoeuvrable army that would be reasonably resilient against enemy fire. Also the Eel cavalry have a whopping 4 wounds each which makes up for their smaller numbers and slightly expensive monetary price.

The total price of this small army would be :writing::confused::depressed::writing: £170. Bearing in mind that I wouldn't be buying all of it once and would be buying it in small increments it wouldn't be too bad I don't think, and looks great fun to play.

Captaniser likes this.
  14. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

With Warhammer fest going on, GW has decided too showcase the next edition too AoS.

The 2 "new" factions that will be coming next month.

Atleast GW is self conscious about the Stormcast.

Spells will be getting an overhaul, both game play and visually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Titanicus will be revamped as well, the board game with mini titans.

There will be more updates on various things, but we will be hearing more about that later.

15. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Those spell effects miniatures look like all kinds of fun!

16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct1rb.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct7sb.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct4ry.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct5vr.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct12kw.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct13nykw.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-Post2-Sorceries6vb.jpg WHfestLiveBlog-Post1-StormcastHammer1cd.jpg Damn you. Was just going to post.

New edition looks cool. Seems like we will get a battle box of nighthaunt vs stormcast sacrosant chamber.

From the pictures below it seems like we will get new Cavalry infantry and three characters for night haunt. I also see two separate new Priestly characters for the stormcast eternals in the sacrosanct chamber

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

The Nighthaunt certainly look interesting and will make for a new army on the battlefield. I imagine they'll be more of a horde army but will have some sort of resilience due to being ethereal, compared to the brittle Skeletons and Ghouls. We've already seen that Deathrattle get killed easily but are easy to resurrect and Flesh Eater Courts bring their new units on as reinforcements rather than summonables, so I'm thinking that Nighthaunt will be more difficult to kill (being ghosts) and may well be more difficult to resurrect as they are separated souls rather than reanimated corpses.

ChapterAquila92 and Warden like this.
  18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Seems like good assumptions. I'm happy to have new undead to paint

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

New Nighthaunt seems Amazing. And Death needed them!

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You must remain loyal to the Tomb Kings. Do not stray too far. ;)