1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GreenyRepublic's Big Paint Storage Thing Mk1

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by GreenyRepublic, Feb 12, 2017.

1. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

So, Christmastime came by and I suddenly had Citadel's marvellous 189-strong ultimate paint set sitting in my giddy little lap. I was naturally pretty chuffed, with the only exception of having nowhere to put the damn paints besides the box they came in, which was literally just a cardboard box with no real organisation or categorisation potential.

So I rose to the challenge and, with some much-needed assistance from the old man, began work on the marvellous Big Paint Storage Thing (BPST). In two tidy weekends we had it pretty much finished, with the only bits left to go being decoration and things like knobs and label holders. Attached are some in-progress photos for you all, with more to come as progress is made.

I'd also like to put out an open request for any ideas/suggestions/inspiration regarding the effects and patterns and whatnot that I'm hoping to pyrograph into this thing. I'm going for a fairly 'general' fantasy style to try and make the unit look like some sort of antique, pulled from the study of a great wizard or what have you. I've thrown up an image of the pattern so far, but I've not begun burning it in yet so there's still time for suggestions and critique, in particular I could use some second opinions on what I should do for these parts:
    • The taller drawer on the bottom (the pattern on the other drawers would look a bit odd if stretched)
    • The side panels (I'm torn between either some large symbol/logo/glyph, or a more elaborate old-school-fantasy art piece, maybe the 1st edition Warhammer Fantasy Rulebook cover)
    • The top surface
    Any input would be hugely appreciated. I'll keep you all posted as I make more progress!

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg IMAG2744.jpg IMAG2746.jpg IMAG2748.jpg IMAG2749.jpg design1.jpg

Warden, Jorgik, n810 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks like a toolbox should! As for designs, glyphs or runes would look good on the drawers, but I think the sides should have a larger art piece on them.

Jorgik and GreenyRepublic like this.
  3. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

Thanks! I think I have the drawer design just about how I want it to be, as for the sides I want to either find a suitably old-school piece of fantasy art, or perhaps something more cartographic like a map of some sorts.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I do like the map idea!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

Lustria on one side, the Southlands on the other.

6. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

Stellar idea, how about this one?

[​IMG]

n810, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You do know that all those paints will never get used, I bet you only use about 50 :D

I have all the base, layer,shade,dry,edge, air and I use only around 50! and now I'm satarting on the Vellejo range!

But it's just feels so good having them all:D

Great looking storage unit ;)

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  8. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

I... Err...

...Yes, and I'll confess that due to time restraints (and my garage being a mess that I've needed to tidy up before starting painting again) I haven't used a single one yet. I will change that soon though.

Here's a really rough mockup of what the Lustria side of the map could look like, had to rearrange the elements a bit in order to fit the size of the panel but I think it looks pretty good.

upload_2017-2-13_10-21-51.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Warden, Wolfwerty33, Qupakoco and 3 others like this.
  9. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

AWESOME!

GreenyRepublic and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

And here's the first drawer done!

Edit: now stocked with paints!

IMAG2771.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Warden, Jorgik, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  11. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

Alright, got to ask for a little bit more input from you guys.

Here's a comparison of the pattern on a normal-height drawer, and that same pattern adapted for the bottom drawer that's taller (for the double-size paint pots). As you can see there's a bit of a blank space above and below the compass rose area. Any ideas on what to fill them with? I was thinking maybe Sigmar's Comet or something similar.

upload_2017-2-16_17-42-57.png

Warden, n810 and Bowser like this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Could you fill it with some text that follows the compass like North and South.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

You are insane. Really.
    ...a very cool type of insanity though! I like what you do! :)

Bowser likes this.
  14. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

Thank you!

Today I got the second drawer done:

[​IMG]

Warden, n810 and Jorgik like this.
  15. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

That paint storage look awesome!

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but unless you expect to use up the paint within the next few years, I strongly recommend that you consider transferring them to dropper bottles, at last the odd colors you do not use a lot. I recently did this (a few months ago), and some of the paint bottles that I have had for a few years (guess 3-4 years) but never opened, had still lost/evaporated around 1/3 to 1/2 of the content. It was very easy to see when putting the dropper bottles side by side after completing transferring the paint.

I also have Vallejo set of game color, that is perhaps 4-5 years now. Several of the colors there are still unopened, and while the medium and paint has separated, the dropper bottle still contain all of it, so all I have to do is shake it properly before using it (Note. Vallejo explain this can happen when it stay for a long time without being used, so nothing unexpected here).

There is also other posts on the forum regarding this, but this youtube movie show what I mean:

Warden, Ritual, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Same with army painter paints. I like that they come in dropper bottles, I don't like those GW pots that much.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I actually prefer the GW paint pots for brushwork, and the dropper bottles for airbrushing

Bowser likes this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

I have used an airbrush just once (and it was a debacle) so I can't really tell. :D

Bowser and Jorgik like this.
  19. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

No worries, and thanks for the heads-up, it's definitely something I'll bear in mind. I presume that you can buy those sorts of bottles en-masse? The only issue is that my drawers have specifically been measured up to accommodate the Citadel pots, though there's a significant amount of height overhead so they might just fit in. We'll see.

Bowser likes this.
  20. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Yea, I bought mine from E-Bay, think I got 100 pieces for a little over $10 including shipping from China.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.