1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Good Character / Army Builds

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Gary_M, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

I found this forum to be extremely useful in giving advice and suggestions for various character or army build when 8th was almost the only game in town. It certainly put me right on more than a few things.

Looking at 9th Age now and I wondered what suggestions there are for good character or army builds now that (if I'm reading it right) the army book restricts us to a max of 15 skirmishing skinks in core.

Is an Armour of Destiny veteran/warlord with great weapon still our go to character?

Is there a preferred magic path (although I understand this will be subject to change with new paths/lores being introduced I think)?

I'm sure there are plenty of other things too, but this will do for starters!

Thanks.

2. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

The version 1.2 has come out since you posted this, but there's still a few things I can mention from my experience so far:
    - Armor of Destiny with great weapon is still a good choice, but I've been really enjoying using paired weapons on my Saurian combat characters. S5 is enough to deal with a lot of stuff, and bringing 6 Attacks to the table is pretty hard to argue with. Depending on whom you play against, the +1 Initiative boost with paired weapons can also be really handy. Doing this does mean that I need S7 attacks from elsewhere, either Caimans or Veterans, to deal with the big nasties.

- Our Core is a matter of some argument. One of the most interesting things that's come up recently is the dominance of a MSU Saurus list, playing little groups of 10 Saurian Warriors. I haven't tried it yet, myself, but I have it on my list of new things to try, as some are getting good results from it. I'm not sure whether they function primarily as a slightly tougher chaff, or can actually do some damage as flankers, etc.

- Skink Hunters and Chameleons, our current skirmishers, are both as effective as ever. Limited in numbers, yes, but you can still drop a bunch of them and have a lot of poisoned shots.

Gary_M likes this.