1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glowing Objects

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NexS1, Nov 28, 2014.

1. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I posted this in my Plog a little while ago, and there's been a call for some guides or tutorials to group them together.
    So hopefully this is at least a bit helpful to some people :)

Step one, have the mini ready to go. IE painted. I've used an elf archmage head as the teat subject.
    IMAG1433_zpsltzooouf.jpg

Step two, decide on how bright the glow us going to be and apply residual colour around the area. Remember that in the case of the elf, the eyes will shine light around the eye socket and over the cheek bones - always assess where the light will fall.
    IMAG1434_zpsb1ljvzjo.jpg

Step three, add the light source. Things to remember here are that the brighter the source, the further the light will travel, and that you'll need to make the source noticeably brighter than the glow for it to stand out.
    IMAG1435_zps0bad8avb.jpg

Step four, add a doubly watered down mix of a colour between your glow colour and the source colour. I've used it to extend the flow down onto the cheek bones (as it makes sense that the glow would peter out over distance, not just come to an abrupt end).
    IMAG1436_zpsttjesiun.jpg

Another example of this technique is the Slann below.
    IMAG1245_zps5t4jplnw.jpg

I hope it's been even a little bit helpful! Let me know what you think!