1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun facts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aparach, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Guess I'm just bored, so I thought I'd let fly out some minor/major information in your general direction for you to bore with me :p

A pelican can hold 11 kiloes of fish in its beak.

The toothbrush was invented in 1498.

Popeyes girlfriend Olivia uses shoe size 46,5! (european size)

New Orleans has the biggest consume of ketchup pr inhabitants in the world.

By the law, it says its not allowed to have sex in a parked motorcycle in London.

Said by Theodore Roosevelt on his deathbed: "Please, turn on the lights"

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. Putros
    Skink

Putros New Member

I think your average bloke has about shoe size 42-43 here (sweden)

3. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

If you mix an equal weight of boiling water and ice the final temperature of the combined water will be 10 degrees celeus.

Playing bag pipes is technically illegal in england.

A Quantum Leap is infact a very small change (the smallest change possible) rather then a very large one.

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

It would take 11 Empire State Buildings, stacked one on top of the other, to measure the Gulf of Mexico at its deepest point.

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

5. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Quotes:

Where the #### is Australia anyway!
    Britney Spears

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known
    Walt Disney

Facts is a stupid thing
    Ronald Reagan

I would have been a good pope!
    Richard Nixon

If you can't get rid of your skeletons in your closet, you should teach them to dance.
    George Bernard Shaw

Who the #### would like to hear acters talk?
    Warner Brothers in 1927

6. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

23% of women in the UK are obese

27% of children in the UK are obese

Both the above facts depress me...

A jiffy is actually 1/100th of a second

7. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

when it comes to fun facts I'm the man!

Liver paste will explode after 3 mins in a mircowave on grill....
    An usual fly will turn to ash or become very black if u place it with the liver paste...
    Licking a Lego battery makes ur tongue tickle....
    Jesus was born on a tuesday...
    A cat doesnt always land on its feets...
    The duck doesnt have an echo...
    The earth expands....
    If you spary enough with deodorant on a thing it can freeze or become very cold (your hand as an example)

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Effort is overrated
    Hellbreaker

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

It is illegal to hunt camels in the state of Arizona.

The world’s youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.

Stilts were invented by French shepherds who needed a way to get around in wet marshes.

According to U.S. laws, a beer commercial can never show a person actually drinking beer.

About 1 in 30 people in the U.S. are in jail, on probation, or on parole.

10. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

More a philosophical question and less a fact...

If you put a slinky on an escalator, will it go forever?

--DF2K

11. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

The waste made by a chicken in its lifetime can make enough electricity to run a 100 watt bulb for five hours!

Chickens don't pee. It is just mixed into the poop.

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, it is illegal to scare a pigeon. You could face a $20 fine or a month of jail time.

If you have mustaches, it’s illegal for you to kiss a woman (Eureka, Nevada)

If you are found stealing soap, you must wash yourself until the bar of soap has been completely used up (Arizona)

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Talk about thread Necromancy! First I started pulling out some old threads from forumites past, and now @Paradoxical Pacifism! ;)

Anyway, I’ll add to the facts board:

The meteorite that allegedly destroyed the dinosaurs had the explosive power of over ten million atomic bombs when it struck the Earth.

Liopleurodon, arguably the largest carnivore in the sea, weighed over 150 tonnes and could live to over 100 years old.

Dimetrodon is more closely related to mammals, and thus humans, than dinosaurs, as it was one of the species that made up the group colloquially known as the “mammal-like reptiles” due to them having features recognisable in modern mammals such as, in Dimetrodon’s case, canine and incisor teeth used for tearing flesh that mammal predators have inherited. Also while modern lions eat around 70% of a kill, Dimetrodons were able to eat up to 90%, including the teeth.

The largest spider ever to exist was Mesophylae, which was the size of a human head and would have been hunting cats and other similar-sized creatures if it was alive today. Its venom would have undoubtedly been fatal to humans.

Sharks are one of the oldest groups of animals ever to exist on the planet - they first evolved long before reptiles, birds and mammals had, and are still around today. In fact sharks have generally grown larger in more recent times as there are no longer any giant sea carnivores to predate them (the first whales were carnivores and regularly feasted upon sharks, but the large majority of these died out in the transition from the Eocene to the Oligocene, due to a massive El Niño that severely decreased fish stocks and caused the whole oceanic food chain to crash in a great extinction).

13. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

some tank fun facts since i like panzers :p

Although the 76mm M1 main gun upgrade offered better penetration qualities for the Sherman tank, american tank crews preferred the earlier 75mm M3 gun for better HE qualities (76mm's HE charge was smaller).

With very good crew ergonomics, the Sherman's crew loss per knocked out tank stood at one and a half, one of the best survival rates for a tank in the entire war.

The Maus was the only tank where its production was completely stopped by a strategic bombing campaign.

The German tank destroyer, the Nashorn, scored a tank kill - from 5,000 meters away, the longest ranged kill ever made by a tank during the war.

Official British War Department test figures show that the 17pdr anti-tank gun firing armor piercing AP rounds would penetrate the following thickness of homogeneous armour plate and these distances: 500 yrds. (457 m) = 119.2 mm; 1000 yrds (914.4 m) = 107.3 mm and 1500 yrds (1371.6 M) = 96.7mm. When firing armor-piercing capped (APC) rounds at face-hardened armor plate these are the test results: 500 yrds. (457 m) = 132.9 mm; 1000 yrds (914.4 m) = 116.5 mm and 1500 yrds (1371.6 M) = 101.7 mm. When fired at slopped armour it was estimated there would have been 80% success at 30 degrees’ angle of attack.

14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Holy crap that thread was resting in piece since 2009!
    Who are you, Nagash?? :D

Anyway, here are some facts about animals:

Capybaras are the world's largest rodents, but the largest rodent fossil we know of was WAY bigger, the size of a cow.

Hornets are one of the very few wasp species that are not predators in their adult life (their larvae are predatory though)

Some male Angler fish cannot eat. They are born with a huge liver they use as a battery, and they search for a female (which are sometimes enormously bigger than they are). They then bite into the female, and something weird happens: They grow into the female and vice-versa, even merging their circulatory system. That's how they survive. That is called "sexual parasitism" (an inaccurate term, they are not parasites, more like symbionts).

When insect larvae build a cocoon for their metamorphosis and go to sleep, "transforming" into their adult form, what they actually do is self-digestion. They dissolve their whole bodies, except a few special organs, which then grow the new body from the ressources in the cocoon. That self-digestion is called histolysis.

15. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Damn, dude.

Life's weird af xD

Aginor likes this.
  16. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

FUNFACT
    Humans require air to breath.
    Trees require carbon dioxide to make air.
    Humans exhale carbon dioxide.
    Therefore humans require humans which require trees to breath.

Minds blown

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

This may be true about European Hornets, but not for Japanese Giant Hornets. A single one can devastate a whole hive of honeybees as when each bee attempts to sting the hornet, its stinger is too small to penetrate the hornet’s exoskeleton, so it just sticks in the hornet’s exoskeleton and the bee dies, sacrificing itself in a vain attempt to harm the hornet. The hornet then just keeps attacking the bees unharmed until all the worker bees are dead, and then will summon its nest mates with pheromone markers to carry home all the bees’ thoraxes and their grubs to feed to their own young.

However, this only occurs when it attacks European honeybees as the honeybees attack the hornet one at a time. Japanese honeybees have evolved a defence against the hornet where they all buzz around the hornet and cling onto it so that it is at the centre of a huge ball of bees, before the bees then fan the air using their wings to produce a huge amount of heat that kills the hornet.

EDIT: I’ve also just found European Hornets are usually carnivorous but also will eat sources of sugary food like fallen fruit.

18. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah it seems I made the category too broad. I recently read that but it was about one particular European Hornet species, not all of them.

And yeah the bee tactic with the heat is great. They can withstand a few degrees more than the hornet can. Brutal but effective.