1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the jungle comes...

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I hope this one will help, I didn't have a camera with me all day so it made taking stage photos impossible, but hopefully I can explain it with some coherency.

Ok so from here onwards I begin to lay down so more structure work.

I begin by adding in the costal cartilage of the rib cage, this is done as that side of the torso is stretched, especially with the raised are which means that you will see the bottom boarder and a series of lumps that look like smaller muscle but are in fact cartilage.

This will be added to both sides as it will help my balance the position of the rib cage, which in turn will help me with all the surrounding, connecting and supporting muscles, even the chest. A small not to add here, is I have made a mistake by making the protrusions of the cartilage far too thick, they would in actuality be much thinner than this.

th_AUT_1818_zpsc0ad9dec.jpg th_AUT_1819_zps2ed5969a.jpg

From here I've provided you with another view to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for.

th_AUT_1820_zps5b53533a.jpg th_AUT_1821_zps7fdb109c.jpg

Next step(s) is to work on the abdominal layers, but I start on the outside with the internal obliques, these are responsible for pulling the torso up and to the side (as shown by arrows).
    intobliquesm.jpeg

External obliques by contrast pull in the opposite direction.

I then add in the seratus anterior above and the points of the costal cartilage (I ending up blocking them out when I got carried away) I can highlight them if it helps?

th_AUT_1822_zps3afb3f10.jpg

I also add in the rectus abdominus, the six pack muscle and here I make a few changes.
    The first is that the muscle itself usually comprises of four "six pack" muscles and two lower ones which don't have a split down the center of them and are much longer than the other four.
    I also make sure that the ones on the left hand side of the body, bulge a little more with the supporting muscles (because of the rib cage tilt, they will be shortened in length, as will the supporting obliques on that side of the body).

I also take this opportunity to add in a touch of my own...

Saurus as standard come with natural thick armour, so it seems a bit silly to me for this vital area at the front to be exposed, so I pull a slight edge on each Rectus abdominus muscle to make it more thick, scale like and like natural armour where the muscles can slide over each other like inter locking plates (will smooth out the detail more once I have got the chest work completed)

th_AUT_1823_zps6bf4606d.jpg

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

It's like an anatomy lesson at the same time!

This guy is looking great. Can't wait to see how his arms turn out.

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

As for the anatomy of with the arms, I had to start off by cutting away a good portion of the pec muscles and then sliding in the bicep. The next stage is to check the angle, the position of the bicep depends on the position of the hand holding the weapon, as everything changes. Once that was sorted I added in the supporting muscles, heads of tricep and then the elbow joint and epicondyles. I then add in the anconeus (triangular muscle which the other forearm muscles tuck in to) as well as the brachioradialis as it would be very prominent in this position.

Getting the deltoid to conform is very difficult in this position as parts of it are much longer while some are shorter.

Ironically the same will apply again with the other shoulder, though in reverse.

AUT_1828_zps31f4f5e6.jpg
    AUT_1827_zpsf1dc4713.jpg AUT_1829_zps0c6d089c.jpg

4. demoncleaner
    Jungle Swarm

demoncleaner New Member

Hi mate,

Cant express how much I love your vision of oxayotl. I want to buy this mini from you. How much ? :D

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Very small update,

Working long and hard on weapons and shields this weekend for AOW, hopefully will have something new to show you all soon. :)

6. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Finished the Salamander and already leaping in to tackling Gor-Rok, finally sorted a pose I like, so going with that. :)

Big WIP, but did both legs and base for tail, quite recently, obviously a bit of work still to come and extras added in here and there.

Attached Files:

n810 and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Wow, Rikard. Just...wow! You are a cut above, friend!

8. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

No at all, just too stubborn to do things quickly. :p

Chicken Lips likes this.
  9. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

The Crown of Command weighs heavily upon thy brow...:cool:

10. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Little breather for you, here's what 6 hours altogether can achieve, although I would have preferred to have twice the length of time to work on it (but that's my fault for bad timing + planning).

Birthday present for my sister, sculpted version of the Kraken comic from Theoatmeal's website.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Amazing... how can you possibly sculpt such finely detailed teeth? They look so delicate, how do you make them?

12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I will do a tut on them at some point, they're really not that hard. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Sounds good! :)

14. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Things go quiet again, but I have decided to post a piccy of something I did for my sister's birthday.

Taken from a sketch done by the outmeal, there's something highly amusing about it. So I made a quick sculpt for her.

EDIT: There will be more Gor-rok not too far off.
    [​IMG]

Here's my "speed" sculpt (6 hours total)
    [​IMG]

Stefblo, Crowsfoot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

2ez2udl.jpg

n810 and Rikard like this.
  16. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

You know Rikard, I'd love to see what you come up with as an Egg of Quango. That truly has so much room of potential. You're obviously a master sculpter and I think that you could create an awesome piece. I'd buy one just to represent what happens in the game when I pop the egg. (Kinda like a Goblin Glider from the Doom Diver.)

Rikard, NIGHTBRINGER and Crowsfoot like this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That would be amazing!

18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I might well do the Egg at some point, I have been thinking about something suitable.

Apologies for posting the kraken twice, no idea how I managed that.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm already excited to see it! :)

20. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

It will be a while though (some VERY good reasons for the wait), doing that whole "thinking outside the box" rubbish though, as mine will be hatching.

Here's some small updates, I'll be doing a tut on muscles and general anatomy bits and bobs later on.
    [​IMG]