1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Flying circus?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by borkbork, Jun 7, 2015.

1. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Hi,

Has anyone tried out the lizardmen "Flying Circus"?

With that i mean, filling up the special slot with Terradons & Rippers, and a bunch of skink chiefs on Ter/Rippers.

any ideas?

2. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it but it seems very interesting but I need more models to try that out.
    I think Tiktaq'to would do well here too I think but that's me loving Skinks.
    Depends on what is taken more, I think Rippers should be the behind the Terradons, so better chance of getting a flank charge in but that's just me guessing, just have luck the opponent will focus on the Terradons, what's more terrible, Terra's dropping rocks and chasing you with range weapons or Ripper's that can tear to death; when they get the chance to hit back of course.

Another skink loving here, loads of Skink Skirm for the core. I find myself overwhelming the opponent sometimes with my Skink units. I like to make my opponents think to what to go for, then my Skinks sit and wait for the right moment.
    I would go with more Terradons in my opinion, maybe try and keep even. I find picking off enemies slowly with the Terra's rocks and Skinks before charging in with the rippers to finish them off but luck is never on my side.

I think the flying circus would work but it makes me wonder about lone skink chiefs though (If I remember correctly they can't join units, then there's Tiktaq being boss and breaking the rules XD) especially if they are on a Ripper, even if he was near another unit of Ripps, if that unit doesn't make the charge but he does. That's a lone Chief fighting there.

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I don't have enough of the models to attempt it.

Qupakoco likes this.
  4. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Just had another thought too, do not try this against Skaven with a Storm Banner. That thought really scares me, all 2 movement across the battlefield. Having a hard time hitting with ranged weapons.
    :eek:

Qupakoco and borkbork like this.
  5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I believe some tournament players do it. Likely not the strongest of builds, but can be very effective when utilized by s good player. There's no doubt that a unit of rippers can wreck sh1t if given the opportunity.

6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Me neither....have 9 terradons (in various states of usefullness, only 1 painted yet), and no rippers yet.

and yeah, storm banner would be a pain!

and thx for the other ideas. The solo chiefs cannot really stand up vs a lot of units, but I am using a single Egg chief on terradon allready and he (sometimes) works miracles, but yeah he aint no unkillable Dark elf lord on pegasus.

But yeah, something like this..

for core a skink cloud, with perhaps a few fighty cohorts,(Flying chief can hide there). ca 350 ss

Special: 3x3 Terradons, 3x3 Rippers (or something along these lines) ca 350 ss

Rare 2x Sally ca 75 ss

Characters ca, 500 ss left to spent on characters and other stuff.
    Slann
    2x Cowboys
    3x Skink chiefs on flying something.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  7. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Dont forget the flying oldblood.

Pinktaco likes this.
  8. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

:) Arabian Carpet? Nice idea!

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I'd change that to 1 x 6 rippers and 1 x 3. If uncertain as to why then look up the tactica index about rippers and find RipperDereks math on those guys :p

borkbork likes this.
  10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

@Pinktaco, thanks, that was indeed quite helpfull.

A list posted by RipperDerek, with 10 Rippers is getting quite close to a flying circus and looked quite interesting :)

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Remember that the idea with a second ripper unit is to allow for more targets with the main ripper unit and surely your opponent will be in distress about what to do. The blot toad is apparenly a very good psychological factor and can mess with people's game plan. Having 2 blot toads allow for more flexibility.

borkbork likes this.
  12. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Remember Chiefs on Rippers benefit from Toad while they cant put one.

borkbork likes this.
  13. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I like this tactic, but I wouldn't use it excessively. Not only can it overwhelm your opponent, but it can also overwhelm yourself. Use wisely.

I'd expect the Flying Circus would be fun to look at. If you got all your Rippers on one flank and started up the steamroller it might work wonders. Try and get those Terradons to drop rocks and soften up some units before the Rippers dig into something.

Also for Rippers, remember that they are Fast Cav! You can literally make the models face away from your opponent until you're ready to charge. Helps keep Frenzy in check :D