1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. First Lizardmen army (1500 points)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Wolfsknight81, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Wolfsknight81
    Skink

Wolfsknight81 New Member

Hey all,

I recently picked up the new lizardmen book and some boxes (box of saurus warriors and the carnosaur kit) and I thought up this small list. Do you guys think this could work? Or do you maybe have some suggestions for changes at this point size?

Lord:
    Slann Mage Priest
    - Becalming Cogitations
    - Focus of Mystery
    - Channeling Staff

Hero:
    Saurus Scar-Veteran
    - Carnosaur Mount
    - Armour of Fortune
    - Biting Blade
    - Ironcurse Icon
    - Shield

Core:
    32 Saurus Warriors with Full Command

Special:
    Bastiladon
    - Solar Engine

6 Chameleon Skinks (1 brave)

3 Ripperdactyl Riders (1 brave)

Total: 1479 points

What do you think i should do with the remaining points?

2. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

I think a Slann is far too expensive for a small(ish) list like this. I tend to bring in a Slann at 1800-2000+ games.

Personally I think this list lacks ranges firepower. I'm particularly fond of the Ancient Stegadon's blowpipes (or EotG).

Also, bulking out the core section would be advantageous. Maybe some skirmishers or cohorts to add a little mobility.

And you will certainly need some skink characters to stop those Saurus charging after something. Personally I like 2 SKink Priests with Lore of Beasts for some +1T goodness.

Hope it helps.

3. Wolfsknight81
    Skink

Wolfsknight81 New Member

Thanks!

Yeah it's certainly food for thought... I'm just kind of struggling to find the points for a stegadon. So I just drop the Slann... But to add skink characters I'd have to drop the scar veteran on carnosaur as well... Unless an oldblood on carnosaur with minimal equipment is okay too.. Too bad, I really like that model..

I get that adding more skirmishers would be a good thing, but what would you advise to drop for them? Less saurs warriors? Or perhaps the ripperdactyls?

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

At 1500 points I'd take two units of 15ish Saurus over 32 in one unit. In a larger game 16 Saurus is too small but it should work at this scale and give you some more flexibility.

5. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

How about this?

Lords

Oldblood w/ Carnosaur, Light Armour, Biting Blade, Ironcurse Icon, Enchanted Shield

Heroes

Lvl 2 Skink Priest

Lvl 2 Skink Priest

Core

25 Saurus Warriors w/ Standard and Musician

10 Cohort Skinks w/ Brave and Musician

Special

Bastiladon w/ Solar Engine

3 Ripperdactyl Riders

Rare

Ancient Stegadon

Comes to (by my reckoning) just 4 pts over. I quite like the list, adds a little extra ranged weaponry, still contests war machines with the Riders. Has a solid core block with a bit of chaff to divert/decoy/harass enemy monsters (poison). Can still be useful in the magic phase with two Lvl 2 Priest, but you could just as easily drop them to Lvl 1 for the extra defence with Cube + Scroll.

(And lots of monsters can be a lot of fun!!)

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Should work to start. It ought to give you practice using Cohorts. It's hard to master how to wield small cohorts successfully. They wouldn't have been severely comped if SOMEONE didn't know how to use them.

They can provide flank support for your Saurus or be used to redirect enemies.

7. Wolfsknight81
    Skink

Wolfsknight81 New Member

Thanks! That list looks great! Its just that the oldblood is a bit more expensive for the 375 point of Lord allotment in a 1500 points game. After taking the oldblood and carnosaur, theres just 15 points total left for any type of upgrades... So I could take the ironcurse and the shield, and leave all other upgrades...

8. Bon ban
    Skink

Bon ban New Member

I disagree, a slann is fine in 1500 points as long as it's pretty vanilla. Scar veteran is good as well but I would substitute the biting blade with a spear. Armour piercing isn't a good as +1 strength on the charge, and it's cheaper.
    Actually, Tetto'eko is a good slann substitute you could think about.

Fill the remaing points up with 2 more saurus to make 34 total. Then split them into two units of 17 for more flexibility. Bastiladon, rippers and chamos are all excellent choices if you know how to use them.

9. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

I suppose a Slann might fit, but when you combine it with another 300+ pt character you end up losing half your points in characters. In this list, in which I believe Wolfsknight was pretty adamant that he (or she!) to use the carnosaur, I don't think the Slann has much of a look in. But then again, I don't have loads of experience yet so I might be going about it wrong.

As for the carnosaur. The one in my list came to under 375pts.

I was thinking about Tetto'eko, but I have no play time with him at all so didn't really want to comment on him. He's supposed to be quite good though.

My best advice now would be to just get some game time in. Try with the Slann/Scar Vet combo, then the Oldblood/Priests combo and mix and match with 1-2 units of Saurus and see how things go to discover what works best for you. After all there is only so much we can theorise, you just have to get out there and try things out.

This is what I like most about fantasy. Lots of things you pick can all be competitive, you just have to know how to play them right.

10. Wolfsknight81
    Skink

Wolfsknight81 New Member

Thank you all for your advice! I would like the Carnosaur to stay in, but if it gets too expensive or just plain unwieldy It'll have to go. But as you said, some playtesting would have to determine whether he has to go or not. Now I'll just have to build up my army to a playable size... After like 15 years of playing Warhammer Fantasy and/or 40K I finally decided not to buy entire armies in a fw months time, playing with unpainted models half the time. Instead, just buy new stuff at a pace that I can actually manage to paint... Right now I'm painting my first box of saurus warriors, the carnosaur and skink priest are essentially done. I'm going to do some minor conversion work on the skink oracle that I have got left from the carnosaur kit to use him as a skink priest, and the next purchase in a couple of weeks probably will be a bastiladon. Looking forward to painting and playing with this army! :)

11. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

For the most part I think a LM list requires a Slann. Most of our units need some sort of buff otherwise they are mediocre compared to other units they go up against. I think Tetto'eko is a good alternate caster at lower point games though and bring 1 or 2 Priests with Beasts for buffs.

12. SkinkJanitor333
    Jungle Swarm

SkinkJanitor333 New Member

Hey guys, by Skink Cohort is it with Krox. May seem like a stupid question but still a noob.
    Also do I build them with either Javelins w/shields orblowpipes?

13. shelman
    Skink

shelman Member

Hey guys! Im back on the forum after a long time out! :D

Can't remember what I did with this list anymore. I tend to use cohorts with Kroxigor for a little extra punch, but I suspect if I didn't specifically indicate it in the list they're not in there. :(

As for the kit on the skinks, I would always have Javelins and shields on them. Just gives a little extra armour to a unit designed to be a shield.