1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Feedback regarding SA 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Notable changes
    • Black Cube
    The ABC wasn't happy with the previous Black Cube and they wanted a defensive arcane item.
    • Skink Hunter points cost
    Skink Hunters are still very good at their job and the ABC wanted Spike Lizards in Special so this price increase was the compromise.
    • Maceosaurus point cost increased
    The Sun Engine is still very good for its price and more of an auto-choose compared to the Snake Arc. Personally I wanted (and also expressed) that the price should've stayed the same and only the Sun Engine to be more expensive.
    • Triceratops
    Added some clarification and Godly Engine is now only on the Ancient Triceratop upgrade because otherwise it was too cheap.
    • Skink Palanquin
    Now allow the Skink High Priest to be placed in the second rank of Saurus Totem Warriors and Skink Brave units (without Croxisaurus in it).

• Triceratops War-Spear
    Changed so it's now actually allowed in conjunction with regular impact hits on the Triceratop. Changed to Mount's Strenght to not be abused with Raptors and now also allowed when mounted on a flying mount.

Also the book got an overhaul in terms of style. I hope you like it.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

i hope they don't start the usual over nerfing process :rolleyes:

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I don't think the changes are unjustified. I'm glad that they are taking the time to fix things within the army books to help tweak and balance things. After years of waiting for GW Errata/faqs, this is a breath of fresh air!

Good change, I really like the new black cube!

Not too bad. Spike Lizards make a good addition to our special choices, I just wish they hadn't reduced their maximum unit size. Not big deal though.

I agree with you. That's too bad... still a great selection though.

Awesome!

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Saurian ancient +Tyrannosaurus rex +Triceratops war-spear = Good times

Just saying

serbianwolf likes this.
  5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I actually think we got one of the better updates. I mean sure there was some minor nerf, but nothing drastic and in quite certain most people can see the logic in our nerfs.

Then we got some clarification or changes that was needed and finally the Skink Palanquin was actually boosted so it's now quite viable.

Saurus warriors with fight on extra rank spawning, hatred and Spears can do some serious things. Drop one of the many +1S on these guys and they'll wreck a lot of stuff.

Also @NIGHTBRINGER I've looked around and the warriors or chaos ABC is trying to see if they can get their own version of the Hell Cannon . I'm not sure if today's update did anything positive to it?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah this probably won't fly well once this guy have wrecked enough cavalry units :D
    D6 S7 hits? No problem :D

Maybe it should get a Lord/Hero split do the T-Rex combination cost 55pts while the Hero version costs the same.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

YES IT DID!! Thanks for passing forth the feedback... whatever you said it got them listening.

They changed its movement from 1 to 4. Its stone-thrower blast is weaker than its 8th edition counterpart (S4[9] vs. S5[10]) but it is also cheaper now so I'd say it is a fair trade. I see it as a solid viable choice again. Movement 4 allows it to act as a combat monster rather than just a beefy stone-thrower. I love the extra tactical depth that this adds to it. My beloved hellcannon is back (I would have hated to see the 3 I own go to waste)!

HAPPY DAYS! :)

9th Age is really shaping up to be awesome. I am personally extremely pleased with it (and I was originally pretty entrenched with sticking with 8th edition). I really feel that it is the future of Warhammer... I hope many others jump on board as well. I think you've done a fabulous job promoting it; hopefully the other armies have someone as dedicated as you supporting them.

Tlaxbitza, Pinktaco and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

You've really come around, haven't you? :D

Anyway in sorry to say that I actually haven't had time to do much. I just got home today, had s look around and saw a topic concerning your issue. To my understanding they want to separate the WoC hell Cannon from the Chaos dwarf hell Cannon, although I'm not quite sure why.

At any rate in happy that you're happy :D

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

a question (which I forgot to state earlier so it could be included in this update):

When a Slann casts through a Magic Beacon: Does the Attribute spell also measure from the Beacon?

unrelated: How does duplicate spells work with Conclaves?

Lets say I have 2 Spinosaurus with conclave upgrade, and 3 lvl2 skinks with beast

Which of the following is true?

A: Both spinosaurus knows wildform and spear, but Skinks cannot get spear.
    B: Only one spinosaurus knows wildform and spear, and Skinks cannot get spear.
    C: Both spinosaurus knows wildform and spear, and a skink can get spear too.

10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I'll ask the committee and put these as part of the FAQ :)

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Got reply from ABC:

1) If AHP cast the spell through the beacon, then the attribute is cast through beacon as well

2) Option C, see rulebook page 12:

Spells that are not generated using these rules (such as spells belonging to wizards with predetermined spells or
    any bound spells) are ignored for the purpose of duplicating spells. A player can have more than one such spell
    in the same army.

Mr Phat likes this.
  12. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Nice^2! 2 Trogs gonna Trog them over then!

Tlaxbitza likes this.
  13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Haha yeah you can bring quite the Amber Spears :D

14. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

AMBER SPEAR!
    AMBER SPEAR!
    AMBER SPEAR!
    .....mmm I'm out of mana!

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Indeed! Most of my biggest gripes were rectified in this latest set of releases. There a few things that I'm not 100% sold on (I'm looking at you Krox hero!) but I can easily live with those few minor things. In the end I'm quite happy about it because I think they have done far more good than harm. I even like the name... Saurian Ancients!

That is quite strange. At the moment the warpscream cannon seems to be exactly the same for both armies. I wonder if they plan to make the WoC version more close combat orientated and the Chaos Dwarf one more shooty.

I just noticed that they changed the hellcannon's base size to 100x100mm. I wonder if this is a typo? It might be to account for the cannon no longer having handlers, but it would be odd to change it since many people might already have it based on it's original 150x100mm base. I don't have mine based yet (though I have designed a cool wooden one) but I don't think I could fit my chaos dwarf handlers on a 100x100 base and I do like them for modelling purposes. Strange :confused:

Sorry to keep running these WoC things by you, I know you're working on the Saurian Ancients.

@Pinktaco : So what are some of your favourite 9th age changes thus far? or least favourite?

16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah well I think the WoC committee were throwing ideas around, so it migght not be anything :p

It's 100x150 in the document right now :)

Favorite changes are hard to pin point. I think it's the general change that infantry will be more important and trying to make death stars harder to come up with and less focus on uber spells along with improved magic lores.

For our army I think it's that all our units are now viable and have more purposes. Especially the vastly improved disciplines and re-introduction of spawnings.

I don't quite like what they did to the lore of beast attribute compared to one of their earlier versions. Heavens attribute also seem rather flimsy and I also preferred drain magic as the attribute for high magic.

For our army it's probably the price increase on our saurus characters.. My oldblood yesterday ran me 330pts. Great weapon and raptor costing 55pts combined is harsh.

I also miss our skink snacks, but not as an in Game mechanic :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

would it be too hard making handlers and beasts work in a similar way to mixed units, maybe giving a lesser look out sir (4+ or 5+) to the sally/spikey?

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I saw that!!! Excellent news.
    Do you feel that the points cost is in-congruent with the abilities of the character or is it a case of being used to paying less for the same thing in 8th?
    Agreed... the salamander, razordon and hellcannon "snack ward save" was handy, though a bit messy at times. The rules seem very much more stream-lined now.

19. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

Played a game against firstborn elves, 2400 points.

I ran a skink lord with palanquin and hatred plaque, veteran on a rex, veteran on a cold one, and a skink priest with the engine of the gods and cube of darkness.
    for core i used 4x10 skink hunters, and of course the new popular 30 strong +1 as spawn wariors (410 pts wow).
    24 temple guard, +2 to dispel (with the skink lord and veteran on a raptor, a very nice unit) and two salamanders.

we now have a solid anvil, especially backed up buy the engine ward save, that's although a bit costly, vet-rex works very very nice i consider it now an autoinclude for me.

salamanders, as i expcted now have a shorter range, they did quite ok but honestly elves are their favourite mach, so further testing is needed to see if they are worth it.

all in all where quite solid now i would say, even without the slann-goodnes, which was a point to all of this.

i find the new terrain a bit bland, and uninteresting, plus you can now go over much of things. dont know how others fill about it...

20. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Banners in Skink units. Is this a good idea? For 85points you can get a mobile scoring unit that harasses well with the dispel banner. The banner itself is practically auto include for any unit over 10 that's acting as a skink bunker.

Maybe it's a problem with the banner itself tha needs to go to 30 points to stop this kind of abuse?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015