1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Faction Focus is Up!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Xlanax_lot, May 29, 2018.

1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Wow thats amazing. With the pound now being low it saves like 33%

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Nurgle exalted deon from forge world has the summoning points on its own warscroll

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Good to know!

4. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Maybe Aginor, or another smarter Skink, can fully explain two things for me?

-The new Incandescent Rectrices rules: if the Slann had 1 wound remaining and was dealt 4 unsaved wounds, would you have to heal 3 or 4 to stay alive? I'm a little confused if after the unsaved wounds kill him, do you have then have to heal more than the remaining unsaved wounds to be res'd?

-EoTG: Can someone who is good at dice math/has the time calculate the odds for the EoTG rolling 14-17 for the summoning with a Slann? I am curious too if there are any new ways to get some rerolls other than a Starmaster.

5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I cant find anything as far as updated for the Dread... hoping they release a forgeworld update on the 30th with the 2.0 update... I kinda just ordered one and cant wait to rip face with it...

Sonofnocturne and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

I don't know the exact wording yet but in the past such abilities interrupted the attack sequence, so ignore the damage after the wound that would have killed the bearer.
    So if you had one wound left and someone causes 15 more, than you suffer that one, "die", come back on a 2+, with 1d6 wounds.

Stuff that profits the chances for a certain roll on the EotG:
    - Slann Starmaster or Kroak near for the third dice on the engine
    - Curse of Fates to get a +1
    - Skink Starseer to get rerolls
    - Kroak's command ability

For the math... sounds like a job for @Canas , it is a bit too complex for me.

Joshua Horchler likes this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Yeah. A simple, super boiled down way of thinking about it is that with the +1 of Curse of Fates, you need to roll a total of 13 using 3 out of 4 dice. The average mean of a d6 is 3.5. So you have to roll above average, but you get an additional dice. I'm quessing it's in the high 30's if you have 4 dice and Curse of Fates. If you have rerolls it would help a lot.

8. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

+1 or -1, remember; EotG can't choose a lower result like some other random effect things can (like Alarielle or a Screaming Bell).

By the specific wording, I think it happens immediately after the attack that dropped the character to 0hp.

So let's say, for instance, you 1hp Slann was hit by two 2 damage attacks.
    The first one effectively drops him to -1, which is effectively zero.
    Then, now that he's at 0, he gets a 2+ save to heal d6 damage.
    Then the second attack hits to do another 2 damage.

9. Aginor
    Slann

How is th wording different from other similar abilities?
    Can you please post it in verbatim?

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

EoTG 14-17 without any help: 34 out of 216
    EoTG with a curse of fate: 56 out of 216 (admittadly, 1 of those is an 18, so if you want to sacrifice that is another question)
    EoTG with 1 re-roll: about 51 out of 216
    With multiple re-rolls it gets terribly messy and I can't be bothered. The gist of it being that more re-rolls suffer heavier diminishing returns as they're only usefull in the case of failed initial rolls anyway.

EoTG with slann: same chance as 1 re-roll.

Joshua Horchler and Aginor like this.
  11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I don't think the attack continues doing damage after he got killed and ressed though. That seems rather weird.

12. Aginor
    Slann

I agree.

13. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thank you @Canas !! You're a beast.

Are you not including the 4th dice from the Slann for the Curse of Fates number?

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

all of em only take into account 1 buff. Combining any 2 would push it to somewhere near 70 out of 216 but that gets rather messy to calculate and I'm being lazy :p

Joshua Horchler and Aginor like this.
  15. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I don't blame you. I just checked some of your work for the 3 dice and I barely made it :) Thanks again!

Canas likes this.
  16. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

https://anydice.com/
    This is a nice resource for dice probabilities.

With a Slann and Curse of fates, you have a 48.77% chance, or 42.98% chance if you would rather take an 18 when you have the choice, of rolling a 14-17.
    With a single re-roll on top of that, you get a 66.12%/54.73% chance
    With 2 re-rolls, it's a 78.14%/.60.05% chance. - 18.09% chance of rolling an 18.

Percents are slightly off due to rounding for each result prior to them being added together.

Aginor, Dr Kaos and Joshua Horchler like this.
  17. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Wow! If you go all in with building around EoTGs you can get 2-3 summons off in the first 2 turns. Seems legit.... Think of all the skinks and rippers you have to buy.....

Dr Kaos likes this.
  18. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

I think the usual setup for an EotG is just a nearby Slann and Curse of Fates right? Nothing else seems to buff it.
    So assuming that setup and taking as high a roll as you can (keep highest three of four dice and then +1) your probabilities look like this:
    upload_2018-6-19_6-31-42.png
    ~6% for the 18 result is probably not worth, especially after the "double movement and double attacks instead" nerf from the Errata.
    42.98% for the 14-17 summoning result isn't that bad.
    40.74% for the 10" radius half-chance of d3 mortal wounds... a Bastilladon with Arc of Sotek would perform way better in any situation where that's useful, although if you couldn't get higher than a 13 you could save the Curse of Fates +1 for one of the 4+ or d3 rolls as a bit of extra oomph.

EDIT: Ah, someone beat me to using AnyDice. As an aside, how do people usually get Curse of Fates? Do you get the spell onto a Slann general, or take a Starseer for the other good benefits (mostly the rerolls which I'd probably use elsewhere)?

Joshua Horchler and Dr Kaos like this.
  19. tom
    Skink

tom Member

I'm noticing a few things about eotg summoning.

One is that you can buff the unit summoned, teleport it and move and fight as normal, as compared to the slann summoning which is at the end of the movement phase .

Seconds it appears to be the only way to get more than 10 skinks in a unit, unless there is a rule we've not seen about combining two 6 point summons.

Third is that summoning rippers feels like a waste since placing the toad happens in the first hero phase and most summoning is likely to be after this..

20. Dreamer74
    Cold One

Dreamer74 Active Member

Unless you have shadow strike and go in for it