1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Drop rocks: Shooting or not?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kor-Lot-Ko, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Kor-Lot-Ko
    Skink

Kor-Lot-Ko Member

I was wondering, do a teradon's drop-rocks attack count as a shooting attack? A friend of mine plays vampire counts, and he either gave his vamp lord a power which gives him a ward save vs shooting, or gave the unit he is in a banner that does the same thing. I think it would have effect against drop-rocks, but I wanted your opinion.

2. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Drop rocks is not a shooting attack since it is neither listed as such and occurs during the remaining moves sub-phase vice the shooting phase. It is a special type of attack with its own description. However, the hits inflicted are distributed as per shooting, which is where some confusion may occur due to this wording. All that aside, the only vamp item with anything versus shooting is the flag of blood keep for blood knights, which gives a 4+ WS vs "ranged attacks". Unfortunately, "ranged attacks" is not defined anywhere in either the BRB or the vamp book.

3. Saurian
    Skink

Saurian Member

Ranged attacks would be anything that is not close combat attacks. So yes, Flag of Blood Keep would give him a 4+ ward save against drop rocks. It also provides its ward save against magic as well, including direct damage magic (which would be ranged since the source of the attack was at a distance and not in close combat with them), with the exception of Dwellers which doesn't allow any ward saves of any kind.

Only other thing I can think of would be shield of Ptolos... which is what, a 2+ armour save against shooting?

4. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

This is dangerous reasoning. It assumes far too much with nothing to back it up.

I have actually never heard of anyone claim "ranged/shooting" attacks to include magic missiles before. We never play it like that, but instead just call it a magic attack.

"Distributed as for shooting" doesn't mean it's a shooting attack.

Since we have a phase specifically called SHOOTING, I have always played it as shooting = anything occuring in the shooting phase, baring specific exceptions (like S&S, for example)

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yep. I believe this also includes magic missles.

6. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

How are magic missiles not a ranged attack?

They are from range after all...

Status as magical/non-magical has nothing to do with status as ranged/non-ranged. They are 2 discrete concepts.

7. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The problem with "ranged attacks" stems from the lack of a formal definition in any rules. While it may appear evident from a common sense/real world perspective, I long ago gave up trying to apply logic to rules governing a game of fantasy :D The only reference I can find in the rules regarding "range" is on page 89 under weapons. It defines range as the distance that a weapon can be used at. Here is the quote:

"If a weapon's range is "combat" then it can only be used in close combat. If the range is a number of some kind, it is a missile weapon and the number is its maximum range."

Based on this, it could be argued that CC attacks are "ranged attacks" since the definition is included under the rules for range - I am not making this argument, simply stating that it is possible within the rules governing "range". With respect to drop rocks, since no number is given for them, they clearly do not meet the criteria for being a missile weapon of any sort since they do not have a "range" and this further supports treating them as a "special rule" attack vice any type of shooting attack.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Here's an exert from out 7th edition book FAQ under 8th edition rules:
    SO I guess it's a shooting attack.
    As terradon rules are unchanged un the 8th editiion book.

9. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Hadn't seen that one, but of course, it's also horrendously outdated and have seen an edition change... which sorta makes it of dubious use. I mean, if it still applied, one would think they'd have kept it online.

At least my local group and the local Games Workshop disregards any FAQ/Errata that isn't available on Black Library. After all, you can't expect people to know of, or even have access to, rules that are no longer officially published.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well I supose you can dice off for it every game then. :D

11. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Not sure what the GW store does, because I don't play there. My local group has a local "judge panel" of a sort, and they ruled it as not being a shooting attack. The reason actually being "If it tells us to allocate hits like you would shooting, then it must be because it ISN'T a shooting attack, otherwise the rule would just say "threat Rock Drop like a shooting attack".

12. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

+1 To this comment. Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

13. Saurian
    Skink

Saurian Member

Personally I don't understand how Drop Rocks can NOT be a ranged attack.

The Terradons fly OVER the unit, and drop their rocks from a height. Compare that to Hexwraiths which move THROUGH the unit and deliver their hits from their weapons.

Both are distributed as shooting attacks, but common sense dictates one as being a ranged attack and the other being delivered through contact with the unit.

14. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Is it a tournament? Get the TO's ruling
    If not talk about it with whoever your playing and play it that way.
    GW has stated over and over again that they don't care and the rules are just suppose to be a guide. RAW it doesn't say anywhere that would clear it up and give a hard solid answer.
    As for me, shooting attack implies it was fired or propelled in some fashion. In this instance I feel it's more like getting hit with a mace. Just because the dmg is distributed as shooting doesn't mean it is shooting, looking at you impact hits.