1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Difficult HE deathstar

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by KingCheops, May 23, 2015.

1. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Call me an arrogant prick, but I am actually thinking that my fast orc army as well as my standard lizardmen list will have a "field day" against this list. Both these lists have the speed and firepower to deal with the reavers, skycutters and bolt throwers in turn one or two. And I doubt his bolt throwers and magic can critically injure me in two turns (unless he is rediculously lucky). And from there it will be a running and shooting game.

And both my High magic Slann (arcane unforging, and swaps) as my Orc great shaman (eadbutt, brainbursta) will most likely have character snipes in their spell pack. So sooner or later a wizard will go down.

This also does not make any sense to me. How on earth can an infantry block go terradon hunting?
    I also don't understand how the reavers can keep the TG in place!! Well to be more precise, why aren't the reavers dead before they can do this.
    Same goes for the skycutters, aren't they just 3 wounds, T4, 4+AS?
    And the big block can not cover the bolt throwers from all threats.

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Obviously 90 skinks cannot penetrate a couple of units of reavers and skillcutters with their lowly poison :p

The strategy sounds weird, however, I think it's also a lot in how good the player using this deathstar is. If he's a very good player he'll have an even easier time. Deployment and movement is critical in winning the game afterall.

3. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

He has 6 drops....then i am still dropping "junk" on the table. So although he will most likely go first, you should almost automatically out deploy him.

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

true, but I'm thinking more about the opponents he usually play against. He comes off as very sure in his own army and strategy and nothing we can throw at him is good enough - based on his own meta. He might just out-play the local players for all we know. If that's the case that'll also explain their opinion towards him and thus this thread.

I could be wrong though. He might be ruining player in one tournament after another :)

borkbork likes this.
  5. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

I am also not the best player in the world....but my hands are itching to give this guy a "oorwassing"

6. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

I will have to play with this set up in my next high elf game, or against it I guess. it seems really easy to crush, it is totally dependent on magic which is stupid easy to control for a single round of combat, I don't play with a slann and could easily handle this list. simply save my scroll and cube until my saurus or temple guard are in combat with this unit, and put both oldbloods and scar vets with the temple guard, they have the jaguar standard so charging is much easier. even if he lucks out and charges me and rolls a 5 and 5 for winds of magic which is awesome for him I still scroll the first high spell if it rolled really well, throw 4 dice at the next high spell, and then cube savage, that leave me with a dice in case he doesn't 6 dice savage, at best he gets one low level high spell off and that is best case for him. realistically he doesn't get anything through.

Then his unbuffed characters try and do something to my temple guard, by numbers they do about 9 unsaved wounds, I hit back and kill every Character in his front rank along with about 4-6 normal elves. I win combat and proceed to demolish his lame idea in the next two turns, I don't need to even worry about his other units because they do crap to my army and I will have 1500 points to deal with his 700, easy day. reavers I ignore, they die if they touch anything in my army and can't cause any reasonable damage.

Seems like this is not an all comers list, that or his meta is seriously weak, my empire and ogres would have an even easier time and my dark elves or WoC wouldn't have to work hard either. the obvious key is to use dice to dispel one spell each phase, two if he tries to cast more than three spells, and save your scroll for that first combat round.

Elves die Like flies to saurus and temple guard and their shooting is hilariously ineffective against those units.

7. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

So did you play against it this past weekend then?

8. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

Not yet, I was out of town for a wedding, I will hopefully get it in this Saturday along with a VC/DE game. I'm not sure yet what lizardmen list I'm going to bring, probably my standard type but I do really want to try Kroak out some more, It's just hard giving up a 2nd oldblood and a skink priest for him.

9. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Cool. Interested to hear how it goes especially since you have different opinions than a lot of us crusty old Lustrians.

My buddy got back to me with what he thought his weakness is:

So skink cloud. Let him eat (max) 8 units of 10 cohorts (400 points) and see what you can do against the rest. Not sure how this gels with Watchtower however. Ugh I hate the victory conditions in 8th edition.

10. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

Certainly, I've enjoyed this forum for years but never really got involved, recently decided this was a jerk move on my part so I'm all about sharing experiences with other cold blooded generals.

I respect his thoughts on the weakness of his build, it is certainly a decent strategy that plays to the meta a lot of armies like to use, skink clouds and avoidance. It will at least be eye opening when I take a crack at it though since that is the exact opposite of my play style, if I can't run up and hit my opponents toughest unit in the face repeatedly then it hasn't been a fun game. If I am out gunned in close combat then it is up to my skills and tactics to provide me with the best possible match up in that fight, but at the end of the day I'm going to want to get my saurus in close personal contact with the enemy and beat them bloody until the aggression stops :)