1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Constellations for the Thunderquake Starhost?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

And here is another example for 2K, this one is without a Shadowstrike though:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Vast Intellect
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Prism of Amyntok
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    - Artefact: Coronal Shield
    40 x Skinks (200)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    3 x Kroxigor (160)
    3 x Razordons (120)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Thunderquake Starhost (170)
    Tepepe'Tikek's March(100)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Allies: 0 / 400

2. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Good point, I also made a small edit myself, which I think is minor but could mean a lot :)

----

Tepepe’Tikek’s March Constellation (100 points)

Requirements:
    - 1 Slann Starmaster
    - 1 Thunderquake Starhost
    - 0-1 Shadowstrike Starhosts
    - 0-3 units of Kroxigor, Razordons or Salamanders in any combination
    - any number of additional Skink units

Abilities:

More than ever
    The presence of their Slann master makes the Skinks and Kroxigor more eager to fight for their fallen comrades instead of fleeing. As long as their Slann Starmaster is alive, when you roll a dice for the battleshock test of a unit from this constellation and the dice roll is 3 or less, the unit doesn’t lose any additional models and it gains a +1 to its wound rolls in the following turn.

Loud Thunderquake
    When marching in this huge constellation the great beasts of the Seraphon make the ground tremble. Add 10" to the range of the Thunderquake Starhost's "The Creator's will" ability. In addition, you may choose “The Creator’s will” its stance at the end of the set up phase.

----

Your build in combination with this would work nicely :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

This is how I would build it with that:

Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    2 x Salamanders (80)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000

However, if my question about the Kroxigor in combination with the Starpriest's Serpent staff here: http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...r-their-jaws-like-a-steel-trap-ability.20318/ would be right, then I might very well have gone for the Kroxigor as well. Because while the chance is very low to get that 6+ wound roll with their bite attacks, and you still have to win the minigame, the reward of double the mortal wounds would make it somewhat worth it. (you could trade one of your Bastiladons in your batallion idea for a Stegadon, and with the 40 points trade your Razordons to get another 160 points to make a powerful 6 model Kroxigor unit, and buff that with the Slann's Vast Intellect).

Provided my question is right about the Kroxigor, then this build would be perfect for a 2500 point army :)

Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Skink Starseer (200)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    6 x Kroxigor (320)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Bastiladon (280)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2500 / 2500

With this build you'd basically have a strong Monster and Kroxigor combo, which would be able to deal with all those mortal wound dealers and hard hitters our enemy often has. So you could for instance teleport in a Bastiladon with the Engine of the gods (buffs on the Engine of the gods) and try and charge in both if you choose the Swift stance at the end of the set up phase, and took the Slann's command if you went first for rerolls in the shooting phase (honestly, now that I think about it, this would make the Slann's command a LOT more useful!). With 1 unit of 10 Skinks to act as the personal attendees aka expendable meatshield for the Slann/Starpriest/Starseer, and the other 3 units of Skinks being able to go to objectives and skirmish with the enemy. And if you lose a Kroxigor model, then no worries, because their resistance only makes them hit harder :D

You'd still only have a 50% chance of gaining the first effect mind you, and those rerolls don't save your Engine of the Gods from the many mortal wounds spams that the enemy often brings, so it is far from a "I win build", as you still have to take a LOT into consideration with regards to the enemy. You know, I really like how this idea turned out :)

4. Aginor
    Slann

I still think the Creator's will directly after setup is too strong for that low point value we chose now.
    Our constellation allows so much already, I think adding the ability to buff your charges and shooting in the first turn of the first round is just OP and takes away the tactical decision that we have now when we win the dice roll, which is: Take second turn for all the buffs, or take first turn to strike first but with one buff less?

5. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Hmm, fair enough. Honestly my reasoning was that this way you would have to either choose the Swift to get that charge reroll in the first turn, or choose Savage if the other can deply his army all at once as well and you are worried that he will instant snipe out your units. In the case of the former, especially when they have mortal wounds and good ranged damage, would really ruin your day if they decide to just take out your EOTG. But if you are confident that you can go first, you can take Swift and benefit from the Slann's command that lets you reroll saves in the shooting phase (otherwise you can risk that he goes first, and without save rerolls our elite and expensive units are quickly taken out).

Basically all it does is allow you to reroll charge rolls and reroll ranged attacks (minus the javelins from the Skinks) in the first turn, and then when you go into melee you can choose the Savage stance for the save and wound rerolls. Would it really be too powerful to be able to reroll hit and charge rolls in the first turn? Without this starhost you could also take say 2 Skink Priests with Priestly trappings, allowing you rerolls on charge and save rolls both as well. Plus this bonus would only count on your expensive and well buffed up elite units.

6. Aginor
    Slann

I think rerolling the charge wouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Rerolling hits is very powerful though, in the shooting phase that could potentially screw up armies big time. Perhaps not _that_ severe if you play just a regular Thunderquake but if you take teleporting into account it would potentially make a Stegadon with Sunfire Throwers very strong against enemy units like groups of archers if he comes in fully buffed with nothing the enemy can do against it.

Even more important is the defensive aspect though: our opponent gets the first turn (maybe. actually not very likely. only if he also plays a one drop list) and we still get our buffs up against shooting. That's pretty strong.

7. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Well you can choose that in the set up phase. For instance, you can choose the Savage Stance, and get save rerolls on your Thunderquake Starhost units, but if he has enough reach he will just go for your Slann and Starpriest, who will melt instantly if you didn't set them up properly.

However, in the following turn you will not get the rerolls on hits in the shooting face, nor the rerolls on charges. Meaning that if you want to charge in your Bastiladon, you have a severe chance of failing compared to choosing the Swift Stance. And you only get rerolls on wound rolls for the ranged attack, which might sound great but remember that the Bastiladon only hits on a 4+ to hit and we can't buff that up with bonusses without our poor Skink Chief and his old command.

So you can choose to either play it safe with the Savage stance, but that buff only applies to your monsters whom they will likely not be targeting if they have a strong alpha strike in their army. Or you can go Swift, hope you get the first turn so that you can buff your ranged units with the Slann's Command and move them into position to get the rerolls on hit in the shooting phase and the charge rerolls.

This gives us more alpha strike power, but this is only on our elite units and if we had gotten say 2 Skink Priests with Trappings we would only lose the rerolls on hit/wound in the shooting phase of the first turn, as the Priests give us rerolls on save and charge, and we could have taken Swift in the following combat phase, so that in the next turn we could just take the Savage stance.

Plus our opponent will know that we can't teleport within 9" of an enemy unit, which is a huge range, so he can just put his weaker units in front (or tanks) and his elite units a bit more behind them. In my previous match my opponent did that, so I was unable to teleport any of my units behind my lines, and my teleport was mostly useless except for positioning a little better for the Thunderquake's abilities.

8. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Looking at how the Kroxigor can likely benefit from the Serpent's Staff buff on their "Jaws like a Steel Trap" ability, here is a link which I think would look nicely :)

Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Engine of the Gods (220)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    40 x Skinks (200)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    3 x Kroxigor
    Stegadon (240)
    Bastiladon (280)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000

You would lose your second Bastiladon with all it's tankyness, but you'd have a tanky Kroxigor unit, 2x 40 Skinks, and your Stegadon can use it's utility with the D6 movement and rerolls on hits of 1 for one of the Skinks units if you didn't take the Great Drake Constellation. Along with a great -3 rend on it's horns and good charge, I think that might be worth it :)

Aginor likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah I think that would be a fun list to play.