1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Color Scheme generation tool

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Xlanax_lot, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Hey guys I found this awesome link to experiment with colors. I found it very useful for testing the color schemes you have in mind and make a decision

Hope it helps! Here is the link

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's amazing! I can see a lot of uses for this tool.

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  3. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

I have seen that one before I love it have it as a bookmark. Great idea to share it here on the forum!

4. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

This is PERFECT! :jawdrop:
    Thanks a lot!!!

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  5. Realjuan
    Cold One

Realjuan Well-Known Member

Any hints/tips on how to use it or how you use it. For us the less artistic ones.

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  6. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Lol @Realjuan thats exactly how I felt when I looked at it ooh a color slider cool...what can I do with it??

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  7. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are several other ways to use it in a more clever way, but this is how I am going to use it:
    first of all set the language to English in case the webpage uses another one (at the bottom right).

Now.

1st method - Complementary
    Let's say you wanna come up with a new color scheme for your Saurus: you want for them 2 main colours and a lot of contrast among them to make them really visible... And let's also say you want a "Lime" tint as one of the two colours.
    What should you do?
    - Set the Rule Color to "Complementary"
    - Click on the 2nd square, then again on the small triangle in it to set this as the Base Colour.
    - Move the relative circle (which now has a little white border) on the Color Wheel and put it between green and yellow to choose the "lime tint".
    It is better to move it as far as possible from the centre of the wheel.
    - You can see 4 coloured bars under the square representing the color you are choosing: focus on the 4th bar, and be sure the slider is at 2/3 of the lenght. You can also copy and paste 99B500 in the "HEX" field to get the exact same color I choose.
    RESULT: Now you can see in the first 3 squares three "lime tints", a darker one, a base one and a lighter one.
    These are the colors you will use to paint your Saurus skin in order to get the lime colour you wanted (the darker tone is for the recess, the lighter one for the details/higlights/drybrushed parts).
    And remember you wanted another super contrastant colours, maybe for the back of your Saurus? You have it in the last 2 squares!

2nd method - Shades
    Let's say you wanna paint a part of your model Blue, and you don't know which color to use to make the different layers you will need to create shadows and highlights.
    What would I do?
    - Set the Rule Color to "Shades"
    - Select the 3rd square and make it your Base Color. Put the slider of its 4th coloured bar at 50% of its lenght and then move the relative circle on the blue you like most (example: HEX=006585).
    - Select the 1st square, NOT setting it as Base color, and put the slider on its 4th coloured bar at 20% circa of the lenght.
    - Do the same for the 2nd square, putting the slider at 40% circa.
    - Do the same for the 4th square, putting the slider at 75% circa.
    - Do the same for the 5th square, putting the slider at 100% circa.
    RESULT: Now you know the colours you have to use/buy to create the layers of blue paint on your miniature!

I hope everything is clear, but being English not my first language it might be a little confusing...
    Ask me if you have doubt and at least I'll try to answer your questions!

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

point dots at color or colors you like and it recommends other complementarity colors.

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  9. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I think @Freddy25 really did a great job explaining it! But in case you still need a little more info here is a quick guide that I found to be really straight forward and useful as it summarizes theory of color really well in my opinion:
    Color Theory for tg I.png

10. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Great tool, this seems better than the one I was using previously. Thanks for sharing!

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  11. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

Bowser likes this.