1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Coatl or Quango?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Jan 25, 2015.

?

Which is a Quango, which is a Coatl?

1. Quango: LEFT Coatl: RIGHT

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Quango: RIGHT Coatl: LEFT

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

So I've been looking at art (and reading fluff) and am torn between these two, which would you say best represents a Coatl and which one a Quango?

Kukulkan-SMITE-concours-logo.jpg

2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I should point out I think the Quango is the one on the right, similar to a Coatl, but that much more impressive.

3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I am pretty sure that the Quango isn't serpentine.

I am connecting it with the fluff on Tiktaq'to's weapon in the book.

Then again the item only tells about it "biting" upon hatching.

4. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

I concur with Phatmotha-phucka. I never envisioned the Quango as a serpentine flying beast.

I see both as Coatl. Where is this artwork from? They, to me, clearly depict the same beast.

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I got the idea more from what I wrote on the recent topic, re-reading the 8th ed fluff on the Quango, it does seem more like a Coatl (as it flies away on the 4-6 D6 roll).

Photos from DA.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I agree with P-P and Hardyworld. They both look like Coatl to me.

I will also add that I like the left one slightly better. The one on the right is relying on background lightning to make the him seem more colorful.

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Both seems a coatl to me.

8. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

As others have said, both could be a Coatl. The drawing on the left looks more like what I envision for a coatl.

9. Overlord of Serpents
    Cold One

Overlord of Serpents Active Member

Those are gorgeous concept photos. Can we get models of those to field? Cause I would like models of those to field...pretty please let's get some flying monsters up in here!

10. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

with saurus riding them, not puny skinks. or puny skinks with blowpipes, if the coatl gets decent ranged abilities :)

11. Huinipachutli
    Skink

Huinipachutli New Member

As per 5th edition, when mazdamundi possessed the mysterious quango. The creature emerging from the egg quickly died of old age shortly after. No reference existed back then to wether it had wings or how it even looked.

I always imagined it as something more weapon than beast, that even as a new born is able to do extreme and merciless damage during its unnaturally short lifespan. Therefore a beast, more claw and maw, than body would perhaps be appropriate.

Then 8th edition added wings.

Given its origin in the pun-frequent 5th edition, it may be a reference to a joke I dont get. A guy on pyramidvault had this to say:

"The egg hatches into a baby quasi non-governmental organization.
    It continues throughout its life receiving goverment funding but acting independantly of it.
    The quango can be very vicious, striking other companies and hiding behind papa gov't whenever it's in danger."

The similarity in name, might be a coincidence. That being said, GW is/was pretty keen on basing names loosely on something grounded in reality, rather than making up names out of the blue.

12. talocofxhotl
    Skink

talocofxhotl Member

Well seeing as they are both Kukulkan from Smite I'd guess both are a Coatl as he is meant to be similar to a Quetzalcoatl :D

13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I respectfully disagree with the illustrious Space Pope.

I believe Coatl are too awesome to bear a rider. Not every monster needs a rider. Especially not monsters that are highly intelligent and magical in their own right.

14. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

I completely agree. I've always envisioned the beast without a rider. Sadly, if we ever did get one in a future book, I'm sure it would have a skink rider of some kind.

15. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

there are already artwork of a coatls ridden by skinks.

If anything, I believe it will High Priest only, which is fine for me.

With merged profiles, it doesn't really matter as long as the rules kicks ;)

16. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

I agree that the one on the left is more impressive. If it's eyes were something like yellow snake eyes, it might have a more intimidating effect.

17. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've always envisioned it as something similar to the Wind Serpents in Warcraft and given the brief descriptions of the Quango in the current book I think a winged serpent would be appropriate. The flavour text says that it bites the enemy, nothing about scratching, ripping, hitting, gouging, stabbing etc. (although the 4-6 result does say "smiting")

I think maybe the Coatl focusing on the life/forest aspect and the Quango being fire/destruction/purging chaos would be a cool ying/yang duality.

18. punter
    Skink

punter Member

Both pieces of artwork - beautiful although I favour the one on the left.
    There is artwork of one flying in the background from the 7th edition on page 5 with a skink on board and is shown with a feathery split tail.
    This link shows a model of a coatl that was made in 1989. Although how big it was is ???
    http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989mo/index.htm
    look under the Fantasy Monsters title