1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

-------------------

This is an army summary so you can look at all my finished models without having to go through the whole thread, If you want to see what I'm working at the moment or maybe join the conversation just jump to the last page!

Slann
    7742541998_da95689166_c.jpg

Skink Priest w Forbidden Staff
    7742544512_2d0cabe568_c.jpg

Skink Priest w Dispell (Scroll) Plaque
    7742544854_87be68254c_c.jpg

Skink Chief
    7742577950_c5693ecc6e_c.jpg

Skink Standard
    7742542310_6ee1f34e9d_c.jpg

-------------------
    Here's the original starting post:
    -------------------

Hi everybody!

I played WH40k in my youth, collection the furious Orks, having much fun painting and converting the greenskins. I also made an brief visit to fantasy and gathered a small army of dark elves.

Now many years later I found out one of my friends and a small group hade begun to collect WH Fantasy and I decided to join them. My first thoughts was to get a Skaven army, but one of the others hade already chosen them and opting to have a more varied group my choice fell on Lizardmen...

...and boy Am I happy! ^^

I love these small dinosaur men. I always envied my childhood firend's 6th ed lizzies.

So I went out and bought myself a small starter kit:

1x Saurus Warriors
    1x Skinks
    1x Stegadon
    1x Saurus Oldblood blister ("ScarVet")

I came up with a color theme of orange and turquoise and made my first tests today!
    9oYki.jpg

I'm really happy how these turned out! You may wonder where the shields are? Well the thing is that I don't like the current shields at all, they don't make sense to me and look to savage and canibalistic. So I ordered a bunch of the old ones from GW's site which I will add when they arrive.

qEiuf.jpg
    I'm not really a fan of how the saurus look either, they look thin and kinda weak. Then I saw Lord Tsunamis Saurus with the 'sail' cut off and I loved it. It gave them a more meaner, leaner look.

Up next is finishing the basing, adding som jungle tuft and give them a spray of varnish. After that I will batch paint the regiments.

I'll keep you updated!

*Edit: Seems as I'm not allowed to post pics, says "You can only post pictures 1 pixel wide"

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  2. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Re: Totzro's paintlog

Use the pic tag instead of the img one.

Those first two models are looking good and I hope you'll show us some more in the near future.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I agree, they look good! Welcome to Lustria Online. :)

4. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

@ SeBM: Thanks! Now they show up fine, and thank you for your comment, hopefully I can show you a batch of skinks in a day or two.

@strewart: Thank you very much, it's always nice to find a community where you can share your work and draw inspiration from others.

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

welcome to the forum!

im so glad i could inspire some one. i totally agree that the saurus looks so much better without the stupid crest. i like your stuff. it has all an army should have: unique colors, nice painting skill and some personal conversions. hope to see more from you :)

ps. what color will you use for the shields?

6. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

@Lord Tsunami: Thank you so much! They do look much better without them.

I think I will paint the shield gold/bronze, like the spears and bracelets. I really like the aztekian vibe that LM got, and I want to enhance that further. I have also thought about painting them turqouise, I will probably do some tests before deciding.

What I like about the gold is a) it easy to paint, b) it fits the theme and c) that I can take it with me to the howdah of the stegadon, the palaquin of the slann, etc.

Now my biggest question is how I shall paint the beasts, I'm thinking of a deep purple. Will probably buy a terradon and try it out.

Cheers!

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

so you wont use the normal saurus/skink shields? the ones made from some sort of hide?

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

No I will use these, which I like much better. They haven't arrived in the mail yet though.

9. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Nice colors indeed. I usually don't like red sauri and skinks but on your photos they look really cool (and I believe that they are cool IRL as well).

It seems that cutting off the sauri crests is becoming sort of fashion-thing. And I can see why. It really makes sauri look stronger - the head is becoming smaller which makes body look bigger and stronger. I'll experiment on my next sauri unit with this probably (making them some veteran unit which lost a battle and to show how ashamed they were they did cut off their crests maybe).

Looking forward to see your work in future.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Hey, welcome to the list and thanks for sharing your work. Another vote in favor of Saurus without the crests. Personally, I use the old 5th edition models (no crests, somewhat more muscular and standing more upright) and I think the older models look a lot more menacing. I bet they would mix well with the newer ones once the crests have been removed. On my Cold One Cav I just painted the crest to look like part of the helmet, something you might want to try also.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing yours done with the round shields added!

11. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Lazoxoatl: Thanks alot! Maybe they lost them as a battle damage, or it was a punishment of some sort.

T`hinker`er: Thank you! As well as you, I'm a big fan of the old Lizardmen (well the current skinks looks fantastic!) and will incorporate as much of them as I can. I will definitively add some vintage saurus if I find any to mix things up.

--

So today I went to a local hobbyshop to buy som armypainter jungle tuft. Well they were out of stock...
    But all was not in vain, 'cause this store has a large selection of old and used stuff. In their mixed bin I managed to find 4 old round shields and have now tried out 2 different color schemes

Blue/turqoise

Gold

I think I'll stick with gold, brings the model better together I think.

I also managed to find these bad boys!

3rd edition dark elf cold ones! All 5 of them for barely 5$!

Now I have to get saurus cavalry in my army, haha.
    These guys will need some converting though, mainly fixing the sadles.

But I love the look of them and they will be a great adition to the army.

In other news I've also primed my first bath of skinks, 11 of them with shields and javelins. The 12 remaining, I will kit with blowpipe and hand weapon so I can try out which I like most on the battlefield.

Cheers!

12. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I think gold looks better than the other color but I think there should be a little more contrast between the shield and the rest of the model. That's one of the reason I liked the Saurus Shields is that being scales, it was easy to give them different colors. I would still try to do something similar but that my personnal preference.

13. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Yes I have tought of that. I think that stone weapons and shields would contrast pretty good to the warm skintones. But then again, I really like gold thematically. Maybe I could give it some more highlights in for example: mithril silver? Would that improve it do you think?

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

it might be an idea to go the other way. keep the shield almost black, with only a few thin but fairly bright lines for highlight. more like obsidian or flint. the reason the grey doesnt contrast so well is because (on the pics) it is a bit too much like the scales.

the gold has a bit of the same problem, it is a bit too close to the orange of the skin. a fairly tricky problem indeed. just as sebm wrote, you could use the new shields with scales and paint them green or something, but i respect that you want the old shields. if you check my stegadon: http://lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?p=52094#p52094
    I painted teh shields on there (well i tried, it was long ago) like if they were covered in cloth or painted leather, and thus i could paint them in a non-stone non-metal color. i do not think they look too weird. maybe you could do something like that...

15. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

yeah mix some mithril silver with the gold you are using and go at it, will bring it further from the skin tone. like you idea with the old shields, much more thematically than the new ones. the new ones are cool but the old ones are more Inca!

16. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Yes, obsidian could be the way to. I'm gonna try that on my next saurus warrior. Black is a great contrasting color to the skin and scales.
    I think your other method works, and I don't see a problem with a colored shield. Stone can have many different colors.

I'm gonna try highlighting the gold some more with mithril silver. Is there any other good paint to highlight gold?

I could also as well take a complete different route, and paint a none metal metal, painting the shields and weapons a bright yellow. On the other hand green is really the way to go with equipment according to complimentary colors as this picture shows:
    dkDQb.png

The problem here is that I may look to much like warpstone. Hmm, but maybe if I painted it to look like jade?
    jade-famous-carving-maya-sun-god.jpg

That is booth in keeping of the theme, and a good contrasting color!

Anyway, here is a picture of the skink equiped with a shield so you can better judge how it looks.
    H0BW4.jpg

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  17. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Jade would look pretty cool!

18. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I agree, jade would look pretty cool. That being said, I think the gold somehow looks better on the skink than on the Saurus. Weird uh!

19. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I know, I find it weird as well. I could be the different lighting, but skin has as slightly brighter skin tone (no mechrite red in the base).

I'm gonna try out the jade as soon as possible. I'm pretty psyched, as I'm imagining my future slann on an all jade palaquin.

Now the question is how to paint it. What do you think about a base of orkhide shade, highlights with scorpion green and rotting flesh. With a couple of washes in between?

20. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

jade ftw ;)