1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Character Duel

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by asrodrig, Dec 12, 2008.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

There's an event at my local GW shop called Character duel, where you bring a single character worth up to 300 points and duke it out to see who is top dog. So basically, you want a really well-rounded character that is going to be able to beat everybody else's character. Here's what I think I'm going to use:

Saurus Oldblood

Hand weapon; Light armour; Shield; Sword of Might; Enchanted Shield; Charm Of The Jaguar; Talisman of Protection; Blessed Mark Of The Old Ones; Blessed Spawning Of Tlazcotl; Blessed Spawning Of Huanchi.

total: 291 points

What do you guys think?

2. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

My question is: What are the rules of the match?

More specifically, is it one huge free for all? How many characters are in each fight? Can there be repeated magic items between characters? What distance do you start out from the other characters? If it's more than one in a fight, do you make teams? How much terrain is scattered about the board?

Details like these are rather crucial for these small character builds, since points are rather crucial and you only get what you bring. Your spawnings and magic items will definitely need checking as a result. (Example: Spawning of Huanchi seems out of place here on a lone character... and the Enchanted Shield might be illegal for use if any other hero, number unknown at the moment, comes to party with it).

Also, a point of note: Having the enchanted shield means you don't need the normal shield, and technically it's illegal to have both.

3. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

This is what I would have used:

Oldblood light armor, enchanted shield, bane head, Glyph neclace
    itzl, mark of the old ones, quetzl, ride cold one

295 pts

4. Smokey526
    Skink

Smokey526 New Member

the store i go to does that to

my character is 329 points which is over 300 but i want to post this combination

Oldblood on cold one,itzl spawning,quetzl spawning,sotek spawning, scimitar of the sun resplendant, maiming shield, and talisman of protection.

this gives him a 0+ AS 6+ WS 8 attacks and 9 on a charge :bored:

5. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Aura of Quetzl is pretty much compulsory IMO. Come on, as if anyone isn't going to get a S5 character.

6. Godless-Mimicry
    Skink

Godless-Mimicry New Member

For straight up fightiness, I would take the following:

Oldblood
    Sotek, Quetzl, Tlazcotl, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Bane Head, Blade of Revered Tzunki

7. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Hm lets see.....

Saurus Old Blood
    Blade Of Revered Tzunki, Enchanted Sheild,, Venom Of Firefly Frog, Glyph Necklace, Quetzl, Tzunki, Itzl, Cold One, Bane Head, Great Weapon
    291 points. This will win!!!!!!! ( Unless Star Dragon... OUCH)

8. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

You can't have both Venom of Firefly frog and Bane head. Check out rules for magic items

9. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Yeah I know this. But you are also not aloud more than 100 points of Magic Items.

10. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

...And your list cost 366 pts, so it's actually useless...

11. Godless-Mimicry
    Skink

Godless-Mimicry New Member

If you know then why post a character build you know is illegal?

12. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

This is all the rules say on the sheet I have:

So I don't really know how the actual battle will play out. I'm now considering using the Bane Head instead of the Jaguar Charm.

13. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Had one of these for GW and it bypassed those rules.

There are some armies with heroes only 100 points that were only able to buy 100 points of equipment so that was cancelled. Thought that would be the obvious.

The person who won was the Necromancer if I remember...

14. D. Thang
    Skink

D. Thang New Member

i would go with
    Oldblood- Quetzl, Itzl, and Old Ones, Shield, LA, Sword of Might, and Aura of Quetzl, riding a cold one.
    this puts him at 293 pts. with a 0+ armor save and a 4+ward save against people with strength 5 or higher( which if this is a character duel almost everything will be) and at least one re-roll for that crucial moment. also strength 6 is no laughing matter

15. lord_grok_ gar
    Jungle Swarm

lord_grok_ gar New Member

Working with the idea that every charcter will have atleast a 2+ save plus a ward here is the most effective character, I think, for going against that:
    Old blood-light armour, maiming shield, aura of quetzi, bane head, burning blade of chotek. Blessed spawning of quetzi, mark of the old ones = 298

With 6 strength 5 hits youll be looking at wounding on 4s at the worst, most likely 3s, and the best save an oppoent can have would be 5+. Coupled with a 2+ save/''4+ward'' he will be pretty surviveable.
    Alternatively you could replace his equipment for the blade of revered tzunki and aura quetzi but I prefere the extra attack and possibility of causing two wounds which is very likely with this combo.

16. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

You could always take the blade of realities, kill any daemon foes quickly enough, plus no ward saves for your opponents and a -2 to their saves anyway for your base Str. And since some armies might bring Wizards with nasty magic missles, what about the shield of the mirrored pool? A Tzeentch sorcerer could show, and that'd shut him down with a luck roll.

17. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

oldblood, quetzl, tzunki (mabye get lucky on some initiative tests), and old ones spawnings, bane head, piranna blade (each wound causes 4 wounds), enchanted shield, aura of quetzl, light armour

18. Gannon
    Saurus

Gannon New Member

Old blood:
    Tepok, Old Ones
    Revered blade of Tzunki, Charm of The jaguar Warrior, Ench Shield, Light armor,

= 145+ 15+35+65+20+10+2 = 292

You'll alwys have the charge.. 6 Attacks WS6 S6 no armor save...

he has a 1+ armor save himself... I kno no ward save .. but who cares...

Be aware of anything that has Killing blow... Vampires.. WE Archer heroes....

kill those first or avoid them...

19. Gannon
    Saurus

Gannon New Member

Bane + Piranna = 3 wounds

Still it would maybe kill everything with 1 hit .. but .. You can get charged easely... no ward save...

and 5 S5 attacks does nothing vs 0+ saves.. plus Ward saves... like Daemons... if it would only be a ward save its ok but adding an armor save u'll do no wound.... then ur build does nothing

I prefer M9 to always have the charge... and Tepok for the extra attack...

20. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

With Bane head you double every unsaved wound, and the same goes for piranha blade so no
    Double 1= 2, Double 2=4

And Tepoks Spawning gives extra dice to dispel pool. You're thinking of Blessed Spawning of Sotek.