1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Carnosaur - hero and/or character?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Daeghrefn, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

Recently the question has arisen concerning the distinction, if any, between characters and heroes. For example, the Carnosaur counts as a hero. Does this mean it also takes a character slot?

For example, If I take the Oldblood on Carnosaur and 2 skink priests in a 2,000 point army this would count as a Lord and 3 heroes. Does this mean I can select another hero for the list, or does the Carnosaur take up that fourth character slot as well?
    Thanks for the help :)

2. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

I know this issue came up between myself and Stonehamby when I first posted my rapid assault army list. I've tried to find something in the BRB to back it, but can't for either side. Originally, I said no, since the carnosaur is a monstrous mount and listed as a steed, not a character. But because it takes up the slot, Stonehamby said that it was a character. This keeps someone from taking a OBoC, JSoD, and two skink priests. Until I have seen full proof, I'd error on the side of caution and treat it like a character so there's no confusion. I'd very much like it not to beso I could use the lord and hero combo mentioned above.

3. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

So far I've been playing it safe, and just not taking that extra character.

I don't understand why if anything that counts as a hero is automatically a character they would break out hero and character limits as separate columns in the army book. So far no one has been able to authoritatively answer this... o_O
    Is there a situation where something would definitely count as one or the other, but not both?

4. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

Ok, on the way home from work today I popped by our local GW store and asked the manager about this. He seems convinced that the Carnosaur counts as a hero, but NOT a character. Not official, just his interpretation - but this is the closest to an 'official' ruling as I have been able to find. I'll probably still keep the number of extra heroes down until it's verified 100% though...

5. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

How do we normally treat 3rd Gen Slann? They also take up an extra hero slot. Does that count against the character tally too?

6. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

Oooh, that's a little more tricky. I have no idea, as he actually is a character... but would he be 2 characters?

7. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Although I cannot find the specific FAQ on hand, the answer is that, unfortunately, hero and lord slots and the character alottment are one in the same. It is an unfortunate mis-wording in the current edition, and has been addressed.

A good rule of thumb is to take the term 'character' in an abstract sense when it comes to army building. The 4 characters you have access to are in essense four 'slots.'

Until i or someone else finds the link, I would suggest at the very least going for the spirit of the rules.

8. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

I suspected it might be something to that effect, but would appreciate a link to the errata in case it comes up again at the local shop. Thanks :)

9. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Never really thought that through..
    As I see it I agree with SohCahToa: A 3.rd gen Slann or a Oldblood on Carnosaur taking up a lord and a hero slott are in my eyes just indications of a really powerfull character. Meaning basically that a 3.rd gen slann is taking up two character slott. He is of cours just 1 character, but for the ballance of the game he counts as 2.

I remember one time a long time ago, before I knew the rules what so ever, I was playing a friend of my who fielded Teclis, Tyrion and Prince Imeric on Dragond in a 2k battle...
    What can I say.. lol ;)
    Not hard to see the fact that 3 skink priest would be outclassed here :D

10. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Yes. A Carnosaur counts as a extra Character. There isn't really a second way to interpet it.

11. nyyman
    Skink

nyyman New Member

For taking a Hero slot, that is, but not for the Character rules (duh!).

12. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

take it this way...

character slots are taken up from a combination of heroes and lords taken at a 1:1 ratio

so if a carnosaur takes a hero slot thus means it takes a character slot since a hero in general takes a character slot

13. Nerdling
    Skink

Nerdling New Member

In 2000 points you are allowed 4 max characters, 1 Lord, and 4 Heros.

The 3rd Gen Slann shows how to interpret this problem.

For example

Slann 3rd Gen - L, H
    Scar Vet - H
    Skink Priest - H
    Skink Priest - H

4 characters, 4 heros. 1 Lord. You cannot break any of the limitations which I stated at the start.

Old Blood on Carnasaur - L, H
    Scar Vet - H
    Skink Priest - H
    Skink Priest - h

Same as the first example, 4 characters, 4 heros, 1 Lord

Thats my interpretation and I'm sticking to it!!

14. Godless-Mimicry
    Skink

Godless-Mimicry New Member

If the Carnosaur takes up a hero slot it take up a maximum character slot too, I can't see the issue or ambiguity here.

15. Nexus
    Skink

Nexus New Member

it seems pretty obvious to me that it would, what would be the other reason for stating it? I use Army builder and that's what it does on that.