1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Carnosaur bloodroar

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Canas, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I've been wondering about the carnosaur's blood roar says

"If your opponent takes a battleshock test for a unit within 8" of any Carnosaurs, roll a dice. If the result is higher than the result on your opponent’s dice, D3 models flee from the unit (as well as any that flee because of the test)"

Does this mean that the carnosaur has to beat the battleshock role for it to work? So it'l more frequently work on "good" battleshock rolls, since a low battleshock rolls means passing the test, while being ineffective against "bad" rolls (e.g. they roll a 6, your carnosaur isn't going to be able to cause any additional models to flee).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Yes, the carnosaur has to beat the battleshock roll

HeirofCarnage and Canas like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

It makes sense really, they beat the battleshock roll but they run in fear from the carny, stops it being OP (not that it is)

Canas likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, it's a tad dissapointing since it makes pulling off a route a lot harder.Admittadly it might be interesting when people are considering re-rolls or others ways of altering dice rolls. E.g. I've rolled a 4 and 1 person flees. Do I re-roll to try and save him, but risk that additional D3 being more likely. Though I would have liked a rule along the lines of "rolling a 6 always causes D3 to flee regardless of opponents roll" or "a 6 makes 1 additional model flee regardless of his roll". it's kind of weird to have the best-case scenario be for your opponent to roll low on the battleshock so you're more likely to pull of that extra D3.

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nononono wait I think you got it wrong.
    You do that test _before_ the battleshock test roll. I'll explain it in a few moments.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Ok as I far as I understood (I was sure there was a FAQ about it but cannot find it right now) it works like this:
    1. Battleshock phase starts
    2. Check if a unit has to take a battleshock test at all
    - all units that have lost models have to take it
    - there are abilities that disable battleshock completely
    3. if the unit has to take the check, do this first:
    - 3a. Check if a Carnosaur is near that unit
    - 3b. Roll a dice. If the Carno player's roll is higher than the one for the unit's player's roll, 1d3 models flee.
    4. Roll the battleshock test normally. The models that flee from step 3 _don't_ have to be added to the battleshock roll.

7. Stevie754
    Skink

Stevie754 Member

I had read it to mean they roll 1 dice like normal for their battle shock.
    But the blood roar almost works to punish them for saving the battle shock test.

So they need a 2 to save the battle shock and roll it. We then roll a dice and get higher they lose D3
    Or best case they roll a 5 lose models and then we roll a 6 and make the D3 run again.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

right... we need to find the FAQ in that case.

9. Aginor
    Slann

Fun fact: We discussed this in June and it seems we were as confused as we are now.
    On further reading/thinking about it I _can_ imagine it works like stated by the OP, although I admit that thought didn't even occur to me before, since it is quite complicated, and needlessly so.

A discussion over at TGA sees it the way I do it seems.

....doing more research now.

EDIT:
    Hmmmmm 1d4chan and reddit users see it mostly one way, Lustria-Online and TGA users see it mostly the other way according to what I have read now.
    Haven't found something official about it yet so I guess I was mistaken.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

This is exactly how i use it.

11. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

The entire carnosaur is a sloppy rules mess. I have to basically ask the TO how they want to play it every time. Rules as written would say that blood roar punishes the player for making a good save roll and that everytime a carnosaur triggers bloodroar, all other carnos in range would also trigger blood roar. I really wish they would come out with official rulings for Seraphon stuff.

HeirofCarnage likes this.