1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Cancon 2014 swedish comp

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Madrck, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Hey everyone. Went to my first tourny this year and it was a blast. Thought I'd have a crack at letting you all know how it went. It was 2400 point army lists using the Swedish Comp System v1.11.0.
    Also I really enjoy reading Sleboda's reports so I'm going to use his formatting style and hope it works out half as well for me.

Game 1 Vs Dwarfs (Sam Chambers)
    Scenario Dawn Attack

1 Old blood - Carnosaur(loping and blood roar) Dragonhelm, tali of Pres, OTS, LA, GW
    1 Scar vet - Cold one GW, Armour of Destiny
    1 Tetto'eko
    1 Skink Chief - Ripperdactyl Spear, LA, Enchanted Shield, Dragonbane gem, Egg of Quango

22 Saurus FC
    24 Skrox 3 Krox - Banner, muso
    1 Skirmishers Javelins

1 Bastiladon
    3 Ripperdactyl
    3 Ripperdactyl
    7 Camo Skinks
    1 Ancient Stegadon - Sharened Horns
    1 Salamander extra snack

His Army
    It's at this point I should have taken some notes or photos as I hadn't seen half of these armies before.
    Left to right he set up, Anvil of doom, warriors infront on it, cannon, ballista and organ gun next to those. Xbows infront of the cannon. His combat block with BSB, more xbows. A slayer hero on each side of his BSB block, though not in the unit. A second Ballista and a runed catapult. Unit of slayers infront of that and more xbows on the table edge.

Turn 1
    I won first turn and had vanguarded most of my army up. My saurus and sally where way out on the right flank and never saw combat, or shoot anything. The rippas where litterally 1 inch away from his front line, with my chief opposite 1 of his slayers. The 2 units of rippas where in front of his BSB unit and I'd march everything forward shooting like crazy. Think I got 1 slayer with my 15 shots from the blowpipes. Needing 7's almost all the time really makes them a poor choice but you take the ancient for the str6. I dropped a comet in his back line for magic and the miscast just did a wound.
    His Turn 1
    He charged his slayer into my chief, failed charged the slayer unit into my ancient and shot the crap out of my rippas. He had a pot shot with the ballista at the scarvet but ward saved him. started with the slayer and I say the magic words "pop egg". At this point his jaw drops and realizes just what can happen, roll a 5. 11 hits. 9 wounds. anvil slowed my carno. Comet came down, did a few wounds on the slayers, his BSB unit, 1 wound on the other ballista and ate the xbows.

Turn 2
    Chief charges cannon(was entrenched) steg and bastiladon charge the slayers, basti doesn't make it. camos moved up on his flank and got the ballista on the far left. scarvet charges the xbows. Chief ends up pillow fighting the cannon for 3 rounds but gets it in the end. Steg gets the slayers over 2 rounds as i have to kill them to a man, unbreakable is crazy. Scar-vet easily breaks the xbows and runs them down.

The rest of the game is a bit hazy, but not much else died. Never cast anything else and he picked off the steg with his ballista after killing the slayers, anvil held my charges off on his blocks for a long time plus he had the reduce charge distances by D6. it was always 5+. I'm sure with a few more turns I grind him down, but I couldn't get the organ gun and it was doing some real work on me with all those dice rerolls. He also manged to snipe the last wound on tetto
    Ended up a 10-10 with a 9.8-10.2 after comp swing. So minor victory to the dwarfs.

Post-game Thoughts and Unit Evaluations
    For my first time every facing a Dwarf army, little own my first time facing a gunline(prob the best gun line at the comp) and getting a draw out of it I was pretty stoked. At the start of it all I was asked how I wanted to do overall. I said 2 big wins, 2 big loses would be ok and atleast keep the rest close. So a draw against something that by all rights can eat half my army on turn 1 I was feeling good.

Oldblood
    Never got a chance to see combat but he took some early artillery heat and didn't give up his points. The 18" bubble meant little in this game too

Scarvet
    As always he's a monster and a problem solver. If I was more experienced I'm sure it would have been a big win to lizards just using this guy right

Tetto
    The extra vanguard was huge on the steg, maybe I should have used it to get the saurus into the fight but I was sure it'd be over even if they marched like crazy. let me get in some more shots and threaten his flank better and IF comet twice so all his dispel dice meant nothing.

Chief w/ egg
    Chief was ok, the cannon being entrenched meant I was always str 4 and it meant it took alot longer to get the cannon. But my god, egg of kicking teeth in, that thing rocked

Saurus Warriors
    Never saw combat or did anything
    Skrox
    see saurus
    Skirmishers
    Did very little as drawfs are elite toughness 4 4+. And he doesn't come to me at all or need anything redirected.

Basti
    Did little, but he got shot at alot and laughed even at the str 10 hit (Sam rolled a 1)

Ripperdactyls
    Bloody great, got up in his face and made him shoot them instead of the things that mattered for a turn.

Camos
    Did exactly what they are suppose todo, hunt war machines till they get focused

Sally
    Ended up miles from combat. Just keeping the saurus company
    Ancient Steg
    If he hadn't died would have been bloody perfect. Ate the slayers all on his own without breaking a wound. If only we could protect him from artillery.

I was pumped up from the game and crossed my fingers it was the last dwarf list I'd see for the rest of the tourney :)