1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can/Did we have a discussion about recasting?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

What are your thoughts on it? With 8th ed coming out, I find myself on a budget and rebuilding my 40k army from scratch.

is buying recasts viable if you have no other way to get models at reasonable prices (Ebay is seldom reasonable?)

Is buying recasts ok for OOP figures?

sorry if we already had this thread, as I cannot remember.

Ritual, Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  2. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Recasts for OOP do I think most people are ok whit. But we might have to hear from the admins if discussing newer recasts is allowed on the forum. I am no lawyer but it might be copyright infringement and not allowed to be discussedon the forum. And don't see this as trying to shut your voice down I just don't want anyone to be banned in this grey area. As other people have been on other sites.

3. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I wouldn't´t get recasts willingly unless the model is out of production. I know that even if I saved some money I wouldn't´t feel satisfied, because I´d feel that I did something illegal. If you want cheaper models go to independent retailers. They usually have some discounts.
    That´s my point of view anyways.
    Other thing is recasting pieces or models that you have converted, such as weapons, legs or heads, specially when there´s green stuff involved.

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

This is indeed a grey area but from my personal point of view I would never knowingly buy a recast it is infringement of copyright and increases the cost of legitimate products.

I feel the same for copied dvd, cd, etc I would never knowingly purchase such an item.

Ritual, Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I wouldn't buy recasts, that's something I am not really OK with, both for legal reasons and others.

Recasting ones myself though, for myself to use, and for fun, especially of models that I customized myself, that is something I would do, and that I would also like to discuss. Also because it wouldn't be about models anyway, more about terrain pieces. The models coming out of it will be far from perfect anyway I guess, so no harm to GW or other companies, except if you would sell them.

Ritual and Captaniser like this.
  6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Playing devil's advocate here but it's not technically illegal. Firstly China's intellectual property laws do not consider recasting an infringement. Secondly us trade law does not prohibit the buying of knowingly counterfeited Goods so long as they are used for personal use only. It's when you resell a recast that you are technically barking up the wrong tree.

Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Secondly if you buy a majority of your army recast and then purchase a couple items from GW yourself to round out the army namely because you're recaster doesn't sell those particular models it is a sale that GW will get where they wouldn't have gotten one before.

Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

legal or not I still would not purchase the items as we all know China does not give a hoot about copyright law, a local company in the UK developed a new brake lever, sent a drawing to China for a quote on mass production and within a day the lever was on Ebay under the description of a genuine UK product.

Ritual likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I can see the lure of "money saving", but I'm against it.

I'm fine for OOP models.... but even in that case, the true original model got a certain charm that the recast simply cannot have.

Ritual, Jorgik and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I'd only buy OOP items that are particularly difficult to find.

Crowsfoot and Killer Angel like this.
  11. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

What is, and what is not legal in a members country is not something we will discuss here.

In addition we will not discuss, purchasing or selling recasted GW (or other company's) models, nor link to any website that does this.

What we can discuss, is recasting weapons, models etc that you have made/converted, for your own use.

Warden, Crowsfoot, Ritual and 2 others like this.
  12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Understood sir. My apologies

Ritual likes this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Is that a thing? I knew that 3D printers work on the whole model.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah but nobody prevents you from doing other objects as well. Take some silicone, a sword, and some resin, and you can produce as many swords or spears as you want.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  15. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I can't wait for 3D printers to reach consumer level prices, they're still at a couple of grand the last I checked... If they come below the £500 mark then I'll definitely be considering picking on up.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

The cheapest ones are actually coming close now (actually there are already ones below €500). I think it will take additional two to five years or so until the cheap ones become good enough for me though.

Ritual likes this.
  17. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Yeah I took a quick look and there are some in my price range, but probably not good enough quality to buy. The cheapest "decentish" one was about £800, which is still too much for me.

18. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah I'd also say the decent ones start somewhere around 1000€ which is something that so am not ready to spend just for laughs and to print a few little things.

Jorgik and Ritual like this.
  19. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Yes, Ive not recasted with resin myself, but used moulds and filled them with greenstuff to replicate, modified weapons, model parts, terrain part etc.

For the 3D printers, as long as you make the model, you can make any size item. Though sadly the home models which are getting cheaper, does not have the same quality level as the professional ones. Feel it is kind of a blocker if what I print does not have a smooth surface if it is to be used for this hobby.

Ritual likes this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Thanks for the clarification, this thread is helpful.

I have cast a few models out of resin for my own use, by using simple molds. This is mostly to use up all the extra plastic bits that come with a normal miniatures set (two dozen sets of different weapons loadouts but only ten bodies to use them on) or now for models that aren't in regular production anymore (my Bretonnians come to mind).

Ritual likes this.