1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog Blastoize's painting journey

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Blastoize, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

Hi there!
    I am making this blog to act as a tool to push me to paint more as well as a place to get some possitive energy from you guys.
    Whenever I look around in painting blogs and the gallery, I feel intimidated, awestruck and joyful at the same time. The amount of incredible creations you are able to produce will never sieze to amaze me. I tip my hats to you all!
    So I would love to add my share and let you in my little corner of the painting universe, and with your support maybe finish more than 1 model per 2 years, which seems to be my current tempo xD
    What will be here?
    Most likely Lizardmen and Skaven models.
    I've taken the photos with an iPad and it has a weird lense, so I will have to figure out what to use in the future.

Let's kick this off with the picture you've probably seen in the Monster Mash thread.
    Old Blood on Carnosaur
    MONSTER.jpg

I still need to finish the base, but I don't really know how, so it might take some time.

The other one I finished yesterday is
    Troglodon
    Troglodon.jpg

Again, need to finish the base some day. There are deffinitely details I would love to change (Troglodon's fin is one of them, but I am strugling to get it right) and it could also use at least 5hours of repairs, but who's got the time, right? xD

Cold One Riders
    Cold One Riders.jpg
    Only the champ (who I use as a cowboy) and the standard bearer are finished. Hopefuly I will finish the rest soon. I've got plenty of CRs to do for next month cavalry contest, but the colour scheme will most likely stay the same. I like, when it ties together.

And that is it for now, I will post some of my Skaven later on. Thanks for reading and checking my painting blog!
    Blastoize out.

edit: is this the right section for it?

2. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

Here are some higher res. pictures of the Troglodon, Carnosaur and Cold One Cav.

Attached Files:

3. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

I am also adding a glimpse at my display cabinet, even though there are still models to be unpacked after moving and LOADS to be painted xD
    You might also get a sneak peak on part of my Skaven army.
    IMG_2032.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG

Blastoize out!

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looking good but please finish the bases, your models will look 100% better with the base done.

What don't you like on the fin of the Trog?

5. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

Yeah, I know the bases are holding me back. I've already ordered some aquarium artficial plants and I hope to finish few bases as soon as they arrive. Watched several tutorials, so I hope I can get a good result .)

Well, I was going for better and smoother blend from black -> white through purple. Was trying to keep my colours wet, but it did not work out as I imagined. Tried several times, but I guess I will have to google how to do it properly. Didn't have the patience it needed at the end I think.

Thanks for the comment!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning

Everything I have seen from your miniatures yet looks really great! :)

Crowsfoot and Blastoize like this.
  7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Following

Blastoize and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

Great looking work, that is a ton of monsters in your cabinet! I like your saurus cavalry, and really enjoyed your purple-and-green color scheme on that troglodon :artist:

Blastoize likes this.
  9. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

So I've tried to a different approach on my cold ones, made them a bit more high-contrast. Not sure how I feel about the result (even though they look better in real life than in the picture). Now I need to finish their bases and can celebrate ^^ IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2038.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    tom ndege, NIGHTBRINGER and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm not usually a fan of red Cold Ones, but these look very good. The contrast you have achieved works really well... although I might suggest painting the shields a different colour to help them stand out (that said, I am no great painter, take my advice with a grain of salt).

Great job, a very nice looking unit!

Blastoize likes this.
  11. Blastoize
    Skink

Blastoize Member

Thank you for your kind words!

Yeah, I was trying to use a different shade of red (going slightly to purple) the last time I painted them, but you are right. It is a bit better live, but still a problem. I didn't want to use too many colours, but will try to figure something out.

It is easier when one has green cold ones, blue saurus and red shields (possibly from stegs?). I could paint them green, but I am not sold on that idea quite yet. Might give it a try with the next batch (still loads of cavalry left to paint).

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.