1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Best use of tarradons

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Arli, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

What is the best use of tarradons? I have ordered 3 and plan on getting Tik taq to as well. I know that I would use them to hunt characters/war machines. How exactly do I accomplish that effectively? With and without Tik taq to.

Also, how many attacks would I get on a charge with 3 regular Tarradons? Can I drop rocks on the unit that I charge?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Ya you have the use of them right, just fly towards them and charge asap.

You get as many attacks are listed in the Lizardmen book, no more no less.
    No you cannot drop rocks on the unit you have charged, as you never flew over them.

Hope that helps

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I don't think you can drop rocks on the unit you charge, but you can drop rocks on another unit if you
    fly over them during your charge. ;)

4. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Through my uses of Terradons I like to put them either on a flank or behind a couple of units across from terrain so that I can use it to mask my terradon's approach. I usually set up some kind of target priority list for them which involves war machines and any mages that are running loose. Then I charge in the war machine crews as readily as I can.

I generally try to set up my charges so that in my over run and subsequent charges I'll be carried into other war machines as well. I'll even hold off till around turn three if terrain and/or deployment doesn't work in my favor.

5. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

One of the best things about them that people forget is that they have the feigned flight rule like fast cav. So you can bait units and redirect, especially frenzied units, into charges they don't want to make. You flee, POSSIBLY rally, and you are golden to do as you please during that turn.

They key is the POSSIBLE rally. LD6, cold blooded is ok, but if your within generals range, then you are much safer.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I should also add that it's bet only to get in close combat with weak mages or war machine crews,
    it's better to hide behind large ranked units to march block them while you pester them with your poisoned javelins.

7. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Very true! Fly over a unit (fast cav, small units, skirmishers, any unit without high T and/or high saves (that includes armour/ward/regeneration)

I don't find those javelins working too good...there's only 3 or 4 of them. And those shots rarely make the difference. Don't forget them though!

and:
    A neat trick to use vs Dark elves:

If you feel the need to 'pull' a unit away, but redirecting it will not get the job done for you.
    Charge.
    Seriously :p
    A unit with Hatred and/or Frenzy HAS to pursue/overrun. So, you charge with your terradons->1-2 get killed->you lose combat -> you break -> enemy has to pursue
    You flee 3d6 and are fast cav. The enemy infantry only runs 2d6...Ofcourse, enemy cavalry and other fast units are likely to catch your Terradons.

By pulling you win a large amount of time.
    Scenario:
    5 Cold one Knights sneaked around your flank and are now in position to flank your battleline.
    3 Terradons charge theyre flank/rear. You kill none, he leaves 1 terradon on a single wound. You flee, he pursues and catches your terradon. But now this unit is:
    -Facing the wrong way
    -Moved 'back' ~10"

If you're really lucky you might pull him far enough away that he has to turn around and move, and them move again before being into charge range...

The Hunted

8. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

That's an excellent point Hunted. Your terradons are generally considered a throw away unit being that a unit is under 100 points. If that throw away unit prevents a powerful unit from getting flank or rear charges on your line then that's a win in my book!

9. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

remember that the fieghtend flight special rule only works when fleing from a charge. failed panic, break or terror tests don't allow you to move or do anything special on the turn you rally.
    and yes, terradons are awesome for bating by charging, thats why skaven players complain that slaves explode now, they used to fill the same role

10. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

Terradons are quite honestly my favorite and, in my opinion, most useful unit in the lizardmen army. I just wish the models weren't so dang fragile. Tired of them breaking ALL the time.

11. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

also, don't use Tiq Taq Toe [or whatever his name is] ever. he doesn't have an impressive stat line, KB on 1 attack won't happen this century and his special ability to give terradons a chance to do something they can allready do is again a waste.

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

Doh! I already have him. But, I can use him as an ordinary tarradon flyer. Isn't there a special rule on him that allows you to hold him in reserve and bring him on from any table edge. Would it be worth it to increase the tarradons to 4? Also, the rules mention a dart attack by the tarradon riders, I did not see a range on that, anyone know what the range is?

Thanks

13. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

He is a very nice looking model, so I use him as a brave or a normal terradon flyer. But Tiktaq'to is EXTREMELY overpriced for what he does. And is also extremely fragile like normal terradon riders. Yes you can hold them in reserve for any table edge(and have a chance to enter each turn on a roll, so he could not even be in play till turn 5 I think), but again its nowhere near worth it for the points.

The terradon riders have javelins, so 8" range I believe.

14. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

javelins are thrown weapons with a range of 8" and a S of 3.
    his ability to come from any table endge works only on a 4+. a terradon unit can be at any table edge by turn 2, so why risk it?

15. Arli
    Skink Priest

Good points. Is it worth it then to raise the unit size by one tarradon and pay the points for the Brave?

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

It is worth getting 4 models, but not worth upgrading to the brave.

Something I haven't seen mentioned (this thread) is using them to obliterate enemies attempting to flee. Since the unit will start at US6 or 8, you can park the unit behind an enemy unit you think might be fleeing soon, due to combat or otherwise. They flee through the terradons and get wiped out. It is also helpful to fly the terradons behind a unit you are wanting to charge. Clever opponents will flee charges when they can't win the upcoming combat, but they will be assured destruction with your terradons right behind them. They can also be well positioned behind units about to take terror tests from your stegadons or carnosaurs. A totally untouched enemy unit could fail terror and be wiped out as they hit the terries, and even if they run off at an angle, you will be able to charge 20" with your flying terradons to finish the job. If they're preserved on turn 6, don't forget to fly them to claim or contest a table quarter.

17. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

US 5+ fliers really are very useful aren't they.. I always forget this, but if an enemy unit is fleeing and you charge with terradons, they keep fleeing automatically. Lots of units especially with musicians will turn around again in their turn, not so if you charge them off the board.

Another good use if they are near a weak or bating unit your opponent is using, anything you suspect will flee when your big unit opposing them declares a charge, declare with the terradons too. 20", chances are that bait isn't getting away and will die instead.

18. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Crossfiring is golden. So, a golden tip!

Seconded. Charging a fleeing unit will make them flee again. Which always works in your favor as,
    -The unit is caught by your terradons. Giving you full VP.
    -The unit runs of the board. VP again!
    -The unit escapes your terradons and does not run of the board. But this unit now HAS to rally or flee of the board, or rallies and is way out of position.

Btw, you do not need US5+ for doing that last trick. a US1 model can do the same. I mention this because you slightly suggest that in your post, and I want to answer questions on forehand :p

The Hunted

19. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

I definately agree with all those points, terradons are the shiz! I was playing a tough Dwarf player in a non magic, extreamly tough close combat army but with a couple of units of three terradons and a good number of skink skirmishers (four units of ten I think).

One of the prize moments was when I had his King and unit of Iron Breakers (25 strong) ready to recieve a charge from an amped up Sarus unit and a Carnosaur. Well the funny thing was he failed his terror check and fled through my little 90 point unit of terradons.

By the way. Upgrading to four terradons IMHO is a bad choice for a couple of reasons. 1) Your unit is now not quite as throw away able. 2) Most war machine crews are either two or three models. Dwarves/Bretonnians can have up to five, Orks I believe four (maybe five). With four terradons your about assured to have a model out of base contact. 3) There isn't any real benefit to having that extra model there. One more shot won't really do much and having the extra two wounds to the unit isn't a problem in most cases since you should be terrain/unit masking your terradons in the first place.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The benefit of 4 terradons is the US. You have 8 now, and 2 must die before you go below the magic 5 US which is useful for so many things. With 3 terradons, only 1 needs to die before you go below and cannot do so many things.