1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Beating the Unbeatable

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by scubrat, Aug 24, 2017.

1. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Beastclaw Raiders vs. Seraphon, last time I played Beastclaws my 2000pt army was destroyed whilst I could only make a 600pt dent so this was an overwhelming victory for me as I not only gained a major victory in a hard battleplan but also made a significant dent in the Beastclaws. So what I thought was impossible can be done and neither of us rolled particularly well or badly.

Battleplan: Take and Hold

Beastclaws:
    Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
    Icebrow Hunter (160)
    2 x Frost Sabres (60)
    3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)
    4 x Mournfang Pack (400)
    - Gargant Hackers
    2 x Mournfang Pack (200)
    - Gargant Hackers
    2 x Mournfang Pack (200)
    - Gargant Hackers
    Stonehorn Beastriders (360)
    Jorlbad (20)
    Total: 1980 points

Seraphon:
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    Engine of the Gods (240)
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    20 x Skinks (160)
    - Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
    10 x Skinks (80)
    10 x Skinks (80)
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
    1 x Salamanders (60)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)
    Bastiladon (300)
    Bastiladon (300)
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)
    Thunderquake Starhost (120)

Total: 2000 points

Constellation in ascendence:
    The Great Drake (reroll hit rolls of 1)

Turn 1, Beastclaws start
    The Beastclaws made ran forwards, two stonehorns coming close to being able to charge 10" away because of their Jorlbad battalion, luckily for me, I was spared this as their rerolls to charge didn't quite make the cut. I declared the Thunderquake would be swift in his combat phase (a nifty trick if your opponent takes the first turn because if you have no units in combat it helps with charging back and you can reroll the hit rolls of the bastiladon's searing beam attack in your first turn before declaring them savage when you get to your combat phase).

I threw a few spells his way, and cast mystic shield and summon starlight on one of my bastiladons and moved him towards a stonehorn. I put a small unit of skinks around my slann and engine of the gods and sent the other two skink units up the sides of the battlefield to try and distract some mournfang Riders. Did some substantial shooting with the bastiladons on the stonehorn and some mournfangs, taking one rider down and shaving a few wounds off the stonehorn. The bastiladon made the charge and took no wounds with his enchantments protecting him and being now savage and managed to take another wound from the stonehorn.

Turn 2, Seraphon win the roll
    Mystic shield on one bastiladon and summon starlight on the other, managed to send 4 mortal wounds to an unlucky mournfang rider with the engine. I moved the other bastiladon towards a stonehorn and some mournfangs. The flanking skinks kept skinking towards the other objective and doing some ineffective shooting. Bastiladons shot at the mournfang riders and took one down and a few wounds off others. My salamander shot at the yhetees, taking one out and then charged them. The bastiladon made his charge and engaged the mournfang and stonehorn in combat. Both bastiladons did little damage again but took few wounds with only the mournfangs being able to chip off 3 wounds from one of them. The salamander lost two wounds to the yhetees managing to keep them off from the centre of the battle.

The beastclaws were starting to get fearful and in their turn, a stonehorn actually retreated from the bastiladon he was engaged with fearing the battle would be futile having not managed to make a dent in his thick armour. He made his way towards my priest and slann. Two mournfang riders engaged the engine of the gods but with rerollable saves he was able to defend himself fairly effectively, taking only 3 wounds, he took out one of the mournfang riders in a valiant retaliation. Fearing the skinks were approaching the objective they got charged by the hunter but in the combat phase, they managed to weary fighter themselves away, closer to the objective. The other bastiladon didn't fare so well this time, he took 6 wounds.

Turn 3, Seraphon win the roll
    Same spells going off again protecting the bastiladons, the engine of the gods managed to take out another mournfang with d6 mortal wounds. The slann being close to the engine and one bastiladon healed them both two wounds and the salamander was able to heal a wound. The ripperdactyls swooped down from the skies and supported the bastiladon who looked like he was in trouble. The bastiladons managed to vaporise the rest of the mournfangs that they were in combat with. The rippers charged the stonehorn and managed to do a great deal of damage with the help of the bastiladon, managing to bring it to its knees with only 2 wounds left. The other bastiladon engaged the mournfang attacking the engine, forgetting the stonehorn making its way towards my skink priest and slann.

In the beastclaw's turn they managed to take out the slann and skink priest, this brought them close to winning as my skinks defending the slann foolishly fled away from the objective; unfortunately for him, he didn't have control of his objective meaning we had to stick it out for another turn. The bastiladons weren't really threatened anymore and in the combat phase a mighty stonehorn was felled.

Turn 4, Beastclaws win the roll
    It was too late, despite taking out the mighty slann and the mystical starpriest, the beastclaws had taken heavy losses and were too far from their objective to defend it, having gone for a destructive approach, they focussed their efforts on taking out the bastiladons, coming close to felling one of them but not close enough.

In my turn, my skinks finally made their way to the enemy objective and decisively claimed it, my defending skinks took the other objective and it was over.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    jevan, Seraphage, Saminator and 3 others like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

AND?

What happened next?

Freddy25 and scubrat like this.
  3. scubrat
    Temple Guard

Haha, oops, for some reason the post didn't include all of what I wrote, luckily I copied it onto my clipboard, edited it now!

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, don't leave us hanging, man! :)

scubrat likes this.
  5. scubrat
    Temple Guard

Sorry sorry! I've fixed it!

Freddy25 and Aginor like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Good report!

scubrat likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Getting the double turn really helped ;)

scubrat likes this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah that was definitely a key to his win.

9. Kadanga
    Saurus

Kadanga Active Member

Both of these moves made me smile, great work!

scubrat likes this.
  10. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Really good battlereport, well done ;)

scubrat likes this.
  11. Solimbar
    Skink

Solimbar Member

That was a very good report for a very good battle.

scubrat likes this.