1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Arc of Sotek

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Seraphage, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

So guys one question,

"Tide of Snakes: At the start of each combat phase, a Bastiladon carrying an Ark of Sotek can unleash a tide of venomous serpents. Pick up to six enemy units within 8" and mark each one with a dice showing a different number. Then roll twelve dice to see where the snakes go. Each enemy unit suffers one mortal wound for each roll that matches the number on its dice. Any dice that do not roll a matching number have no effect as the snakes slither away."

It is obvious that each dice needs to show a different number. Do I have to put just one dice to each unit though ? It says "a dice showing a different number" so I am not really sure. My guess is that I can only put one and its the main reason I haven't tried the Arc yet, but reading the nice battlereps of @Robertxtrem yesterday I realised that this might not be the case?

If I have - let's say just 2 units within 8", can I mark one with 1, 2, 3 dices and the other with 4, 5, 6 resulting to a 6 MW total if I get lucky ?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I may be wrong but it reads as one dice per unit, that's why you can mark up to 6 units and one unit could suffer 12 MW in theory.

Singular

3. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Yeah that's what I thought as well :/
    But how could it have 12 MW ? Ohh now I get it, if I'd roll 12 1s and I had marked it with a 1, that's that right ?

Thanks a lot @Crowsfoot !

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yep you got it

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's why you would wait to use the Arc, when you have 6 units in distance your guaranteed 12 MW as every dice would hit.

Seraphage likes this.
  6. Seraphage
    Stegadon

It is actually way stronger than I thought. 12 MWs are way too much damage and in fact serious one. I 'll try making a list to combine it with things like Stegadon / Slanns' Hunter Constellation to make sure I have more possibilities to get in range fast and see if it fits my play style. This opens a whole new world of possilbilities in my list building ! :rolleyes:

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

In some thread here we did some math on it a few weeks ago, and I was also pretty surprised.
    I think the breakeven point at which it does more average damage than the beam version was at three units already.

You cannot buff it well though, that's a pity.

Seraphage likes this.
  8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Thanks for the info, I am definitely trying this !

9. Robertxtrem
    Cold One

Robertxtrem Active Member

It's really great because it's at the start of every combat phase. Including your opponents. Nothing beats them doing loads of stuff on their turn then at the start of combat, releasing the snakes and killing a big hero before it attacks etc.
    A good plan I heard was teleporting the arc and a stegadon in using space/time then using the stegadons move 1d6 to move the bastiladon into the fray. A great strat is to not engage in combat with it, just get it nearby and start releasing the snakes. It's randomly distributed but 24 mortal (potentially) each round is huge.
    More if you get extra turns from engine of the gods.

In my report when I mentioned getting loads of heroes it's because he had 3 slaughter priests, a banner and 2 units all around it. 1 number per unit so it is possible that some snakes escape.

Joshmunga and tom ndege like this.