1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Pretty much this. I have no problem with MW but they are just too common now.

Killer Angel likes this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I like the idea of spells that are visually represented by models. But I have been talking up the idea for awhile:

FREX:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/wishes-for-9th.14849/page-6#post-123231

Slanputin and others responded and discussed the notion back when we were hoping we would get a Warhammer9 rather than AS1 or AS2.

I suspect/fear the implementation will be a disappointment. :shifty: $20 — £40 models for each spell, won’t surprise me... ...Instead of simple ideas that gamers could scratchbuild.

My favorite idea is gluing rocks to 25mm figure bases, then paint them a bit. Doubly useful.
    • Spell 1: transmogrify D6 or 2D6 Enemy models. (Replace each victim with a rock)
    • Spell 2: conjure a rock barrier 2D6 long. (Add a row of them...)
    But, fissures, bottomless pits, tar pits, sinkholes ...are all buildable things.

3. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

4. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Fyreslayer article was disappointing! All they tried to showoff is related to the command points, and that will be available to every single army, so nothing exciting for the fire dwarfs here. They did however mention a list of magical artefacts that everybody will be able to access, I look forward to hearing more about that.

Nefertem and Koriialstraz like this.
  5. Koriialstraz
    Temple Guard

Koriialstraz Well-Known Member

The new command abilities looks fine IMO. I like how they can be use.
    But I'm not sure about the command point. I don't know how to feel about.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Some interesting Fyreslayer artefacts there though. To give a character a mortal wound shooting attack is certainly nice.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Slaanesh will be getting the glory tomorrow. See @NIGHTBRINGER, Slaanesh is still favoured!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

We'll see what they do with them. Slaanesh has always been a difficult aesthetic for GW to approach. You would have to figure that a Keeper of Secrets has to been in the pipeline as the other 3 greater daemons have all received models.

This picture released by GW could very well be Slaaneshi...
    [​IMG]

Also, I'd bet that most Slaaneshi releases will revolve around daemons. I'd love to see mortal Slaaneshi followers.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

You could well be right. It also looks Tyranidy but Tyranids have already had their codex release. I think it’s either something to do with Slaanesh or Genestealer Cults.

We already have the Hellstriders as mortal followers, so I imagine the other mortal Slaanesh followers will be similar. GW have done mortal followers for the other 3 gods, so I’m sure they’ll do some for Slaanesh soon. The important thing is that GW are still talking about Slaanesh. I imagine they’ll appear once they’ve done Nighthaunt, SCE and possibly Moonclan and Darkoath.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Bit dissapointed about the commandpoint being tied to battalions. Its like go battalions or go home. Not really list building anymore.

11. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Eh, I think it's a minor advantage, given that it's a one-time thing at the beginning of the game. They also mentioned there would be other ways to add command points, possibly tied to magic, or even subtract them from your opponents pool. Hopefully we'll see a robust command point economy, with points being sourced and threatened from various directions. And of course, we have no idea whether they're going to add, change, or repoint battalions (which I think are more flexible in their listbuilding opportunities than you seem to think).

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest I like it. It makes battalions important for everyone and reduces how much their point cost can feel like a tax at time when your faction depends on them. And especially with some of the newer battalions that tend to have some flexibility in em it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Having said that, I do hope there's more than just the one mechanic. though having battalions be the main mechanic for it seems air.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Not exactly, a battalion only gives one additional point.
    Useful but not game changing.

Atm it seems promising

14. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Doesnt it make most list predictable? With list building in tcg or anything else I just love to see unexpected combo’s and synergies. With battalions being almost manditory I’m afraid will see many of the same list. Even more then we already have now.

And for the inspiring pressence,.. really sucks you can use it in hindsight. You can always keep one command point in your pocket to protect an important units. Especially bad for use since we kill alot in the battleschok phase (guards banner, carnosaur etc)

Nefertem likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Depends heavily how much flexibility they add in the newer battalions and how big they are. It's easily possible to field say a sunclaw next to a shadowstrike starhost currently, and those combinations can still make things very interesting. Similarly there's battalions that just say "take 0-3 of the following 3 units" which also allows flexibility. As long as they make fielding multiple battalions easy and keep some flexibilty in it this shouldn't be an issue.

At least now it's limited to 1 of the two battleshock phases (or well, costs 2 points if you want it in both). Which is a lot better than the current perpetual immunity.

ChapterAquila92, Wazz and Aginor like this.
  16. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

But seeing most list on this forum, is it like 95% or maybe more a battalion list with some added units. The whole list building doesnt feel as flexible ar armybuilding should be imo

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meta's will Always develop, battalions don't change much about that.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  18. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Well see. I’ll just have to be patient to see how battalions will work. On the speculations of points dropped across the board.
    What do we think/hope gets dropped for us?

My guesses are

Battalions with 20 points at least
    Kroxigors down to 140
    Bastiladon to 260
    OB on carno to 260
    Eternity warden to 120
    Saurus guard to 80 (if MW spam continues)
    Chameleon skinks to 100

In my eyes that would balance our stuff much more. The guards is maybe too much, but really feel they are to expansive if magic/mortal wounds become even more common. Or hopefully 2 wounds

Captaniser likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

chameleon skinks I'd expect to be cheaper than guards. They're just as horrificly suspectible to mortal wounds, but also more suspectible to normal attacks, deal less damage & if you wanne use their special ability they won't actually be present on the battlefield about half the time. Tbh they're surprisingly expensive given their limitations.

Also, I'd expect saurus warriors to either become cheaper as well or get a significant buff. At least the minimum groups. A horde of 40 is currently fine, but 10 of em don't serve much of a purpose.

Also, why only the OB on carno why nothing for the scar vet?

20. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Chameleon skinks get alot better now being able to shut down an shooting unit. So they gain in value I think. OB just always felt a tad overpriced, where the scarvet didnt