1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. ancient stegadon sas

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by matty4291, Jun 10, 2014.

1. matty4291
    Jungle Swarm

matty4291 New Member

hi all new to lizzys and the fourm. few things if u can help me clarify, can a stegadon stand and shoot giant blowpipes?and can it fire 4d6 shots?

cheers matty

2. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Dancing with Saurus2 Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but an (Ancient) Stegadon has 2x giant blow pipes with each firing 2D6 poisoned shots i.e. 4D6 in total. I don't have the army book in front of me but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to stand and shoot with the giant blowpipes as a charge reaction. I don't think anything has ever charged my Steggie though.

Don't forget the extra 3 skinks who can stand and shoot with their javelins.

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

There are three cases where a stand & shoot is not allowed:

1) Enemy is too close
    2) Enemy is out of the front arc; or
    3) The weapon itself is "slow to fire"

Since the giant blowpipes don't have the slow to fire rule, only the other two conditions apply and steggie can S&S so long as the enemy is in the front arc and not too close. However, since the giant blowpipes suffer all appropriate penalties, they are likely to require 7's to hit since the enemy is almost guaranteed to be beyond 9" (i.e. -1 for multiple shot, -1 for range and -1 for S&S) and thus no poison will apply.

4. Markhaus
    Saurus

Markhaus Member

I think the giant blowpipe is range 18", so -1 outside of 9" (so sometimes it will be short range)

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Are you sure they have the "multiple shot" rule, because this usualy implies you can also choose to single shot if you wish.

6. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Just checked the book and the blowpipes do have the "multiple-shot rule" and are indeed 18" range (my bad, I was thinking about the javelinchukka skinks along for the ride when typing!).

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

well usually when we choose to stand and shoot it's because our charge failed and we're now on the recieving end of a charge. I would never choose to shoot compared to our glorious impact hits, so I find the shooting to be a compensation for a failed charged ._.

8. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Something something hand of glory plus walk between worlds something something.. no?

Blowpipes blows

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

so you would hope to get off no less than two spells just to move it into position to shoot? :smug:

10. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Absolutely not :D

11. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Dont forget to take the three javelin stand and shoot shots with the remaining skinks.

12. OfTheThorn
    Jungle Swarm

OfTheThorn New Member

It's worth noting that the giant bow will never get the -1 penalty for range in a SaS reaction. Which is good. That bow needs all the help it can get!

SaS takes place at the maximum range of the unit's shortest range weapon, in the case of the steggadon this is 12", due to the javellins. Now if only they were 9" :rolleyes: ...

13. Amrod
    Skink

Amrod New Member

When in the book they say Stegadon have two giant Blowpipe and 2d6, this attack is for both giant blowpipe or just one? And multishot how much is?

It´s a Silly question but I need to be sure!

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yep 4 D6 total dice for the pipes. (don't forget the other 3 crew).