1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Ancient Stegadon Giant blowpipes!

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by LtGary, Sep 23, 2011.

1. LtGary
    Skink

LtGary New Member

Do the 2 Giant blowpipes on ancient stegadons work out to 2x 2d6 shot or 1x2d6 shots? :O

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Each pipe does 2d6, so assuming you've got the skinks alive to operate them, that's a tidy 4D6 blow-darts. :spiderman: :spiderman:

3. Battlehamster
    Saurus

Battlehamster New Member

Who can stand and shoot which is awesome if you just don't make the charge. Every time I announce my 4d6 +1 (extra javeliner up top) stand and shoot my opponents are like "oh sh*%"!

4. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

meh, i've found the stand and shoot to a bit fickle. -3 modifier can really spoil your fun (-1 for s&s, -1 for multiple shots and -1 for long range potentially)

5. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

There is no -1 penalty for multiple shots on the Steg's blowpipes. Their ability to shoot is a special rule for the Ancient Steg - it is NOT the Multiple Shots special rule from the Basic Rule Book. Since it isn't the BRB rule, they don't get the penalty. My opinion of the Giant Blowpipes went way up when someone on this forum pointed that out to me.

On another note, how does long range work for Stand and Shoot? You make the S&S as soon as the chargers are within max range, so as long as the enemy is more than 6" away, it will be a long range shot. Does this mean you do have a -1 for long range on top of the -1 for S&S? That is how I play it, but I've asked this question before and was told that you only have the -1 S&S modifier.

Shouldn't that be 4d6 + 3? The Blowpipes only take 1 skink each, so you should have 3 javelins adding to the firefight.

6. Battlehamster
    Saurus

Battlehamster New Member

I was almost certain it took 2 skinks to man (lizard??) each blowpipe but I could be wrong. I know the crossbow takes 2 to fire.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Both weapon systems take two skinks total to man. 2 to operate the giant bow and one skink per giant blowpipe.
    so you should allways have either three crew remaining for stand and shoot, and one of them may be a skink chief, if you got that upgrade and gave him a ranged weapon.

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

With regard to long range, the giant blowpipes do indeed experience the penalty, along with just about every missile weapon in the game unless specially stated otherwise (the only one that comes to mind is the DE repeater handbow which states it does not suffer range penalties). This was a big change for 8th ed and means that even dwarven throwing axes are long range, and hence -1 to hit, in the 3-6" range bracket!! Also, remember that the steggie has a forward arc and can't shoot 360 so if a charge is coming from a flank, there is no S&S reaction.

9. ncharman
    Skink

ncharman New Member

on S&S i thought the shooters waiting until the unit was within min range before letting loose their volley? that would leave it at just -1 for s&s instead of -2 for s&s and long range.

this could have been changed in 8th ed though

10. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The S&S takes place when the shots can take place - which usually means long range since an enemy within short range is likely too close to allow a stand and shoot with the giant blowpipes (you could use 5 x javelins if this was the case since they have the quick to fire rule). The rules are on page 17 and even allow the S&S to take place beyond maximum range .