1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Alpha Carnosaur build

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

So I fooled around a bit with trying to create a good build. There really ain't a lot of magic item options that are worth taking, but that is kind of the trade off with the alpha. Either way I came up with this:

Saurian Warlord 145 points
    Alpha Carnosaur 230 points
    Spear of the Stampede 40 points (D6 strength 7 impact hits)
    Starfall Shard 45 points (opponents get -1 to hit, and the carno get fireborn)
    Divine Icon 15 points (the oppoennt have to re-roll their ward saves)

475 points

I know it's nothin revolutionary, but I personally like it, at least on paper.
    No chracter would want to go toe to toe with him, neither will other monsters because, well Carno (enough said ther I think) and with the impact hits he might even be able to run through some monsters if lucky, or at least cripple them before the real fight begins. Also the Carno has a fine WS 5, so the majority of monsters will have a hard time hitting the Carno.

As terror got a small buff in 9th age, that too is better, and means that a good deal of opponents will have -1 LD when fighting the Carno.

If we go back to the charge, one should not forget that the Spear of the Stampede is a lance, so +2 strength on the charge. This means that the Alpga Carno is exclusively pumping strength 7 attacks out on the charge, and a good deal of them too.

Let's assume it charges a unit of infantry. That would be 2D6 S 7 hits from the impact and thunderstomps, then 5 Ws 6 S 7 attacks from the Saurus warlord and with re-roll on 1's to hit, and then 6 Ws 5 S 7 attacks from the Carno, which also re'rolls 1's to hit and doing D3 wounds.
    Let's summarize, this build would (optimally) be able to put out 23 S 7 attacks, which gives -4 to armor saves, and re-roll to ward saves.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now

[​IMG]

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:eek: yikes

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Unfortunately the items usable for a Ridden Monster are far and few between so it's not like it matters much. Starfall shard being the obvious must have and from there it's up to you. If you have the points for it you can squeeze in the lucky shield as well.
    Weapon is fine, however don't charge this baby into a Rnf unit without the warriors! You'll be stuck with the champion so it's bye-bye impact hits and S7 lance ^^

Mr Phat likes this.
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Well, that is a problem, hadn't thought about that. although it will still probably crush them in the following turns, but the opponent of course has more time to react to it.

The fun (and expensive) solution is to take 2 carnos. Or some other chracter to follow, to take the challenges, to let the Carno do its job.

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I need to try the alpha..

6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

You won't be disappointed

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Better do it before next update :D

If you get stuck in challenge you lose the value of the magical lance, so I'd make sure to do a dual charge.

With that said the papasaur is flat out OP once it gets into CC so it'll crush everything regardless :p

8. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Are you saying the alpha Carnosaur gets nerfed in the next update?

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Something definately is. This thing can take on and easily kill ancient Dragons and elite units.

Tbh I'd take a step down to WS4 and keep the starfall shard as it is, since it also work with other units.

10. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

It is a bit sad, given I love the Carnosaur, but maybe the Ws 4 would be a good solution.
    Although we as Lizardmen do have more problems fielding the monsters, so I don't really know. It does not have flying, no breath weapon, and the Ancient Dragon has better weapon skill, toughness and wounds.
    I would guess that it is the D3 wounds that makes the Alpha Carnosaur come out on top.
    Maybe the problem isn't so much our Carno, but the Ancient Dragon that is price too high?

11. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Lets just hope it doesnt get nerfed into oblivion :p

12. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

A lot of armies without cannons have a hard time dealing with it :D
    Elite units typically hit it on 5+ so a lot of their fighting power is reduced. It's kinda awkward since the papasaur should be the ultimate alpha predator (monster hunter), which is also why it have the +2M special rule vs large targets and flyers, however it can also easily deal with most other units in the game. I'd wager the papasaur + warlord can do a rough estimate of 10 wounds on most elite units. If you bring the impact hit lance you'll do more :D

No fly is why we have the starfall shard, but if you play with ETC maps you'll have balanced maps so you can hide and manoeuvre your big griblies and hopefully not get obe-shotted turn one. So yes no fly is an "issue", but I think we'll manage.

What I really don't want it aby nerf to the hero carnosaur. I'm really liking it atm. It feels just right at 300pts considering the potential wound output.

jgadams19 likes this.
  13. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

I think the Alpha needs a minor nerf then, and the ancient dragon a price cut and nothin done to the small carno, as it to me seems potentially brutal against some enemies, but underperforming given point cost against others.
    But still, is it so bad if we have the best monster? someone has to have it.

Rettile likes this.
  14. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I think the only other army that could be a runner up for best monster should be beastmen (from a fluff perspective).
    Dinosaurmen? Who else?

15. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Agreed.
    The ancient dragon should still have a price cut though. our saurian warlord on an alpha carnosaur is 375 points, while a high prince on an ancient dragon is 480 points. With a price cut, I don't think our Carno would need much of a nerf, if any, as the dragon would be good for its points, while just being better at taking down infantry than the carno, and being a bit more survivable. maybe 50 points insted of 100 for the ancient upgrade.

If we were to go up in points, maybe give the 4+ innate defence back to our saurian warlord, and make him 160 points again. It would make him better on foot, but help nothing while on the carno.

16. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I dont think thats unfair... "Oh lool, my elf lord is t6 and flies" compared to "my lord gained 1t and dont" is a major difference.

17. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

The ancient dragon actually has toughness 7

18. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Ok, what is +4 toughness worth in points?
    Id say well over 100.

DrMad likes this.
  19. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

To me the best solution would be to change the Starfall Shard:

reduce the price (35-40 range)
    remove the -1 to hit in combat

That way it can still get to its prime targets without being shot to hell, and it doesnt roflstomp elites like it does now.

20. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Yes, but that would make the starfall shard a poor choice for characters on foot and the like.