1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Age of Sigmar - subforum topics?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by spawning of Bob, Jul 4, 2015.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I don't know where the heck AoS came from, but I can see where some things are going.

Open question to the mods about whether to open an AoS Subforum (probably a good idea) which will eventually get populated with tactics, rules discussion, army lists, battle reports and such. I wouldn't try to index it straight away @Scalenex , the quality of the guessing will improve with time.

Anyway - my head is all awash with new stuff in it. I would like to see someone / several someones start off a few more focussed discussions so that I can find my feet again. Specifically:

I would like to see a Scissors-Paper-Rock battle scroll analysis.

Assming that AoS Lizardmen units can do things (some well, some badly) it would be possible to do something like this for each unit type:

e.g. Spawning of Bob: Hammer, Anvil, Ranged Attack, Can opener, chaff clearer, Tarpit, Buff support, Hex support, movement support, board control, chaff, threat range (completely made up unit and ranking of arbitrary abilities)

Would need some prelim discussion about general role headings OR start with a few obvious ones and add more later. After that, attempt to put the uses in order for that unit. After that colour code for their effectiveness at the roles. Over time and discussion, we should get a fairly mature list of army roles (unless I contribute to it)

In the middle of a game, I would refer to this thread summary and then cast the "Summon
    Can Opener Anvil of Swiftstriding" if that is what I needed next.

@pendrake has made a good start of opening the What's the Point? discussion. Oh wait... was that Sleboda?

ETC, other comp systems and house rules have been doing it for years, admittedly using a points value as a basis for coping. A LOT of balancing systems will crop up worldwide pretty soon (or it will turn out that balance is less of an issue than we all think).

A dedicated thread on this could test point allocation models conceptually and then give a place for play-test feedback. If L-O comes up with a good model fast we will all be famous.

Battle reports will be hungrily devoured.

etc.

What say you?

Slanputin likes this.
  2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Yes please. A centralised tactica for LM AoS would be nice, from which we could lead on to more specified focus per units.

Now who was good at writing tacticas, I don't suppose you might know @Scalenex?

Will probably need a good few games to verify, but just looking at the rules I think you can derive a unit's utility fairly easily. For example, the Skink's "Wary Fighters" makes them a good candidate for chaff.

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

My ability to write AoS tacticas is limited. A large portion of my local wargaming community is turning their back on GW. So my ability to playtest things will be limited. Those gamers sticking around largely prefer 8th edition. Me too.

Even with lots of playtesting and battle reports I see a "full" tactica index for AoS being a quarter of the size of the 8th edition one. There are clearly some tactical dimensions but from the battle reports I seen it seems to be at least 50% about just rushing the center and maximizing the attacks.

So I think tactical game play will boil down to.

-How to position troops to maximize attacks
    -What portion of ranged to close combat is best
    -Which units are strong and which units are weak. Without army points it is clear that some choices will be MUCH better than others.
    -What should be summoned, when, and where.