1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. After wiping out a unit in combat.....

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Gary_M, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Playing my son (my Lizards vs his Dark Elves).
    Situation:
    Unit of 9 dark riders and a kharybdis are next to each other. My 4 cold ones plus two scar vets charge the dark riders. Dark riders stand and shoot (without effect :D ). In combat the dark riders are wiped out.
    What can the cold one riders do? Can they reform to face the monster? If so what formation are they in? I think they can pivot/turn as a reform. Is this correct?
    You've probably got more questions, but it's late in UK so going to bed now and will answer tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help.

2. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Hi Gary,
    The predatory fighter auto-chase rule only affects you if there are models to chase. You can choose to overrun or reform (which the book describes as a full reform, to what ever formation you like as long as the centre of the unit remains where it is and remains the centre of the unit).

3. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Brad, thanks. So no rotating, as centre will have moved?
    I guess the cheesey thing to do would be to form a conga line of cold one riders!
    Finally off to bed!

4. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

You can rotate, as long as the middle of the unit stays where it is. It's exactly like a normal reform in the movement phase.

I personally wouldn't conga line because the rear of your unit will be in the kharibdyss' charge arc, and that thing will rip cold ones to pieces, expecially seeing that you'll only get a couple of guys in base contact to fight back
    My advice is to make a combat reform and put it in your front arc (to get more attacks back when it inevitably charges you) or overrun to get out of its charge arc entirely. Personally, I'd want to skink poison that thing to death!

5. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

No wont conga them. Thought about that after typing it and realised it was a bit (ok more than a bit) stupid in this instance.
    I think I'll do the overrun (I'd missed that when looking at rules) Takes me out of arc as you say and gets me into his back field. Ready to turn around and get into the rear of some infantry (Dreadspears and corsairs).

My skinks (2 x 10 skirmishers, plus 2 razordons and a sallie supported by a basti) are facing off against 10 cold one knights, including at least one character - Possibly Malekith? and about 20 corsairs. The skinks will likely get charged this turn - I've got them too close to the DE :(

I'll post a batrep in due course, but we've only managed 2 turns so far.

I've gone with a Life Slann with the TG to try and buff them and near by units and a level 2 Beasts priest.

He's hammered me before and rather than trying to boost the Lizards to get close to DE, I'm trying to make it harder to be killed.

We haven't got to the crux of the game yet, but I'm glad I got rid of the 10 dark riders early.

Thanks for the commemts and advice.