1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Advice Needed on Army Additions!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Sudaj, Nov 4, 2015.

Tags:
?

What units are most needed, or beneficial to add to my army?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2015.
  1. A unit of Ripperdactyls ($60)

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 2 units of Chameleon Skinks ($50 together)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. An Engine of the Gods ($58)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3 Kroxigors ($52)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OTHER (Please Comment)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Alrighty Fellow Lizardmen,
    As I have stated before, I am a returning player to the Warhammer World, and after 10 years away... I am finding my army Lacking.

I will be looking to add some new units to bolster my existing forces, but I was curious which ones this forum thinks would best compliment my current army.

My Current army is listed below (Only the models I actually have, no proxys).
    What do you all think would best assist me in destroying the foes of the Old Ones?
    (I am starting with a budget of $75 including taxes, just to make things easier for my wallet)

Lords:
    - Slann.
    - Oldblood, Hand weapon and shield.

Heroes:
    - Scar Veteran, hand weapon and shield.
    - Skink Chief (Mounted on Horned/Cold One and not used in official games),hand weapon and shield.
    - Skink Chief, Hand Weapon, Shield, Light Armor.
    - Skink Chief, Blowpipe.
    - Skink Priest.
    - Skink Priest.
    - Skink Priest.

Core:
    - Saurus Wariors (16), Hand weapons and shield. (Axes of Chotec, blessing of Chotec, etc.).
    - Saurus Warriors (16), Hand weapons and shields. (No special colors or sacred spawning).
    - Saurus Warriors (16), Spears and Shields. (Spears of Tzunki, blessing of Tzunki, etc.).
    - Skink Skirmishers (12), Blowpipes.
    - Skink Skirmishers (12), Blowpipes.
    - Skink Skirmishers (12), Javelin and shields.
    - Old Skinks (60, OOP, armed w/shortbows. Treated like Cohort)

Special:
    - Cold one Riders (10), Lances and shields.
    - Jungle swarms (6).
    - Old Kroxigors (2, OOP).
    - Old Stegadon (OOP).
    - Temple Guard (12), Halberds and shields.

Rare:
    - Salamander Hunting Packs (2), with extra handlers.

NEW UNITS!
    +1 Old Kroxigor (OOP).
    +3 Kroxigor (newest version).
    -- So now I can field a full unit of 6 Krox, or mix them into 3 units of Skink Cohorts.

+ Ripperdactyls (3), Spears and shields.

I really think these additions are going to help,
    Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Well, first off to save you some money....why not take some of your regular skinks (with blowpipes) and convert them into chamo skinks. And in my gaming group people make sure that scouts are almost impossible to deploy, making them quite hard to use effectively and turn them basically in an expensive regular skink skirmish unit.

As for Kroxigors...3 extra wont make a viable unit i believe on their own. And I am not using big units of Skrox cohorts so i cant really comment on that.

Havent used an EotG so far, so cant comment ot that. But both the model and its rule never really appealed to me.

Best option in you poll, i believe are the Rippers , as flyers are something your army is lacking. and they are a fun and pretty good unit, and they open up some tacktical options and with the markers you can really mess with your oponents head.

ps: and dont forget to have a look at the 9th age beta army book.
    ps2: are those US dollars btw? Did those GW .......ers increase prices again?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Sudaj likes this.
  3. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

Rippers and TG.

Sudaj likes this.
  4. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Yes, those are Good 'Ole USD. I quoted the prices directly from Games Workshop... Hopefully my local hobby store will be a little more forgiving.
    It bothers me that the AOS Lizardmen are all "Pre-Order" only online... like they removed them from existence, just to bring them back looking almost identical. Just Irks me.

Edit: I like the thought of adding a unit of Rippers, to take care of my buddies war machines... however, isn't it possible for his grey seer, or BSB to mess me up some how? I forget where I read it, but I feel like there is an easy way to befuddle flyers (Other than using he Lore of Heavens).

5. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Are we talking 8th edition, 9th, or AoS here? I'm pretty sure in 8th skaven had some kind of anti-flyer magic banner, but I don't know much about AoS or 9th.

Sudaj likes this.
  6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

yeah, there is the featherfoe torc, but that will only hurt you if you charge that particular character carrying it. And rippers are not a really tough unit, so any shooting or magic missile can mean trouble. However, the potential threat of rippers, mean that they become a priority target, which means your other stuff is safe.

Sudaj likes this.
  7. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

For clarification, I am playing 8th edition currently. Going to skip AoS, hope fully 9th will be better.

8. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

Yes the skaven storm banner grounds all flying units until you or he rolls a 4+, this can really suck if you need them at a critical turn. And against skaven I highly recommend temple guard with the flaming banner, they mince hellpits and rat ogres which are very nasty units, they also perform great against almost every other army.

I would change your basic breakdown and keep your saurus in units no less than 30 and preferably 40+, this way you have a buffer zone and will allow them to perform optimally, even white lions can't hold a candle to them like that.

Sudaj likes this.
  9. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

For now it looks like 9th is a good version but I agree with previous statements that fliers could be very useful in your army.

Sudaj likes this.
  10. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Tried using Chameleons in my last game, but on our small table they were wasted... Also gave an EotG a try, did fairly well!! Unfortunately it didnt get to charge, but it's flaming attack did some great damage to the rat-spawn!