1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. a question of hit allocation

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by miturian, May 26, 2015.

1. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

suppose a cowboy joins a skrox unit. how are hits from shooting allocated? if it had been a "clean" infantry unit, we would just have to allocate one hit per model. But skrox has the additional randomization rule. So, would you count out how many hits were not allocated on the cowboy, and randomize the rest?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think he may be separately targeted by your opponent.. Not sure though. o_O

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think he would follow all the same targeting restrictions as in the case of a character with a compatible footprint. I took a quick look in the BRB on pages 98-99 which discusses colliding footprints, and couldn't find anything to indicate otherwise. The only additional rules that I found was that...
    • the character must be placed on the edge of the unit
    • the character is not counted towards calculating rank bonus or establishing a horde
    • the character cannot "make way"

Of course, this doesn't mean that there isn't some little rule hiding in the pages of the BRB that does indeed alter targeting restrictions. If anyone knows better, please share.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

there is another rule about Characters joining unlike units
    (cav joining infantry, and the like)
    Might be with the "look out sir" rules.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Do you mean different troop types?

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

... sure ?

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

If we're talking characters that are of different troop types from their units then we have the following stipulations

For "regular" Ballistic Skill shooting...
    "If there are fewer than five rank-and-file models left in the unit (or the character is of a different troop type) there is as chance that any characters in the unit could be hit - the controlling player decides who is hit, but must allocate one hit on each model before he can add a second hit on a model; he must allocate two hits on each model before he can allocate a third, and so on." (BRB page 99)

For special shooting (templates)
    A character can not claim a look out sir roll if he is of a different troop type.

8. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

...and my question is in reference to the quote by nightbringer :) how would you mix "controlling player decides who is hit" with the spawn kin hit randomization?

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's an interesting scenario. I don't think we'll find a nice and tidy clean rule to perfectly address this. So I'm just speculating here....

For simplicity sake, let's assume we have a Shrox unit of...
    • 8 skinks
    • 1 krox
    • 1 scar-vet
    Also let's assume that as the controlling player we are trying to protect the Scar-Vet from shooting. I would say that up until we take 9 hits we could choose to allocate the hits to the unit. If we take 10 hits, then we must allocate 1 hit to the scar-vet. As far as the hits allocated to the unit, they would still be randomized because the Army Book > BRB.

I'm not saying with any real certainty that this is the right way to play it... just what I'm thinking at the moment. Anyone else have any other ideas on the topic?

10. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

For simplicity sake i would say to forget the randomization rule for allocating hits between the scar-vet and Skrox unit.

So in Nightbringers example after the Skrox get hit 9 times you have to allocate one to the scar-vet
    Or if you want the scar-vet to get hit, only the 11th hit can be allocated to the scar-vet again.

You do off course still roll to see who get hit in the skrox unit.

I also totally dislike the way this rule is written when you would join a Kroxigor unit (or whatever multiwound unit). If you would follow the RAW you have to assign hit to each individual model and you would end up with various Kroxigors with various wound levels. Off course nobody plays it like that, but that is what the rule actually say.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's what I meant...

"As far as the hits allocated to the unit, they would still be randomized because the Army Book > BRB."

Your description seems to be exactly as I interpret it.

borkbork likes this.
  12. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah, i know, should probably just have said "I agree with Nightbringer" ;)

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"would end up with various Kroxigors with various wound levels"
    Actually you just assign it to the krox as a group.
    you should never have 2 partial wounded krox.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is true.