1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40K - Should I .... or not? Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Aginor, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Ok next question because there are things contradicting each other it seems, and/or I don't understand it:

During the Horus Heresy:
    If some of those Primarchs are such powerful Psykers, almost on par with the Emperor, why didn't he let one of them sit on the Golden Throne in his stead, but that poor Malcador dude? From the dexcriptions I read that guy was a pretty OK person compared to most of those Space Nazis, so why did the Emperor ask him to sit on the throne, knowing it would be his death?

Captaniser, Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

He was the only one capable or so the Emperor thought, The Emperor needed someone on the throne to keep the gate shut while he went into battle against the chaos marines, the physic power needed was too much for Malcador and killed him within hours.

Captaniser and Ritual like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Ok next one:
    Those new Primaris Marines: Can those be played by all chapters?
    So if I played, say, Salamanders, could I use those?

Oh and by the way: Maybe I don't get the distinction between the organizational units of Space Marines, please clarify if I understood it wrongly

- Once there were Legions (20?) each led by a Primarch, but even though they existed for millenia we don't know how two of the Primarchs were even named? And because Legions are frikkin' huge and the risk of a rogue legion doing horrible damage they decided to split them up. Which is...probably a bad decision because that way each one is so small it is easier to beat. That doesn't help at all against corruption by Chaos IMO, and the number of Chaos Space Marine chapters seems to confirm that. But whatever.

Now there are those Chapters, which are basically self-governed in some way and might or might not help each other? And they all recruit their own dudes and have different cultures? A few thousand Marines in each.

Doesnt sound like an efficient military to me... Am I missing something?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aaand another one:
    With 8thED is it possible playing Imperial Guard (I think that's the name for normal, un-engineered, humans not wearing Power Armor?) guys as Gue'vesa (human auxiliary troops) for the T'au empire? Would stats for those - if any - be in the T'au codex or in another one?

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

It is horribly inefficient.

Ponder the low speed of a jet bike for a moment, or a two-man 'speeder'...for inefficiency on the local scale.

Inefficiency is the Imperium's middle name, nickname, secret name, etc.

Sort of back to the topic: Space Marines, not enough of them; half went traitor, sided with Chaos; so there is The Imperial Guard, in their millions.

(There even used to be "Cadians", but one of you lot said they blew that planet up? :wideyed: )

( :shifty: What is it with Games Workshop that they're blowing up their game settings one planet at a time??)

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Correct name.

I don't know if they can be part of a Tau army.

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

....also if I ever play T'au I'll definitely use some Saurus or Skink heads for auxiliary troops because those might look awesome! :D

n810 and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's a good idea, don't forget Space marines are not normal humans they are genetically modified super humans with extra organs and senses so a few thousand is a very effective killing force.

Primaris Marines can be any chapter, mine are slightly converted with MK3 heads and Maltese cross emblems

Aginor likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

If I played Space Marines I'd probably choose a chapter based on the look of their armor, and/or their doctrine/culture/attitude/whatever not being too moronic and/or grimdark. In comparison that is.
    Perhaps also favouring chapters that like vehicles since I don't want to paint lots and lots of models I guess.

Visually I think I like red ones or green ones most. Blue and gold also looks cool but seems to be the most common and also that's the colors of my Seraphon so I would probably pick others.

10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Iron hands maybe?

Warden likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

I was thinking Salamanders, but some chapters of the Iron Hands might also fit, at least visually.
    Visually I want to find a middle ground between too boring (those pure black guys for example) and too much work (Space Wolves for example, or others where you have to draw freehand stuff).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Salamanders are a nice chapter, loads of conversion parts available etc, I'm going Imperial fists with Black Templars

Regarding freehand stuff, decals are available for most chapters.

Aginor likes this.
  13. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

Well, when the Emperor was still around the Imperium was quite good, and MANY times better than its current state. Technology was held in high regard and people didn't have to pray to their toaster too make it work. You had 18 legions of super soldiers each led by a demigod to defend you and a massive interplanetary militia.

Capital worlds and systems were pillars of technological advancement and titans of industry. Though frontier worlds, rural systems and planets tended to be relatively underdeveloped in comparison.

The Imperium still had it's flaws and the most obvious one was 'The Imperial truth'. The Emperor believed that all beliefs and religions were the embodiment of evil, and he went on a crusade to purge Terra (earth) of all religions. After he finished that he decreed that religion was banned and you can only belief in humanity's greatness. This made the Imperium militantly atheistic and you either got executed or sent too re-education to learn the true benevolence of the Imperium if you were religious. Another thing wrong with 'The imperial truth' was that it decreed that ALL that believed that the Imperiums way wasn't the right way must get "removed". Entire xenos species, even the friendly ones went extinct because they wanted to live their own way and many human empires that had formed outside of the Imperium were destroyed aswell.

Warden, Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I will do some, then.
    Not in a hurry, actually this brand new army is waiting in our common (and exclusive) gaming place, and I don't know if I will play this weekend.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Oh, btw: I learned about the term "grimderp" now, and boy, I like it. :D

pendrake likes this.
  16. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

That's the beauty of 40k, its a ludacris setting with as much bullsh*t crammed into it as possible. It tells the most insane stories, does the weirdest things and is super GRIM DARK to the point that even edgy emo kids can't take it seriously, and it does it all with a straight face.

Aginor likes this.
  17. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Another amazing army! So many conversion opportunities out there, even more now that the Adeptus Mechanicus armies are a thing now!

Captaniser likes this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

How??
    As far as I understood the Adeptus Mechanicus are just the techno mages faction aren't they? Am I missing something?

Captaniser likes this.
  19. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Iron Hands are a Space Marine army, formerly one of the original 18 Legions, that in the last few millenia have begun replacing many of their biological body-parts with mechanical components instead. Very heretical in the eyes of the broader imperium, BUT not with the Adeptus Mechanicus, who are techno-mages from Mars who do that sort of thing all the time. They are often depicted in the fluff between the extremes of RAGE against impurity, mutants, and chaotic taint, and stone-cold killers with the emotions of machines (except for the RAGE).

In conversion terms, you often see these marines depicted with mechanical parts or cog-emblems of the Adeptus Mechanicus. It makes for a pretty cool looking army on the tabletop. The also often have lots of dreadnoughts (walking tanks with an almost-dead space marine put inside in order to keep them alive thanks to mechanical means) and tanks. Lots of tanks.

You are right about the Adeptus Mechanicus, they also are big on technology and biological replacement.

Some artwork:
    iron hands iron father.jpg iron hands battle brother.jpg

One example of a nicely converted Iron Hands Army, made to look like the BORG from Star Trek (resistance is futile)

iron hands BORG.png

Converted Iron Hands biker, they do look great on snow bases:

iron hands bike.jpg

Another epic conversion of an Iron Father (Leader of the chapter, combination of a techmarine and a chaplain)

awesome.jpg

AWESOME conversion of their primarch: Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus.png

Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  20. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

The Adeptus Mechanicus are the techno mages and the Iron hands are a chapter, one of the original 18, that is closely allied with the Mechanicus. The Iron Hands are real big on cyber enhancements to the point that some of their marines are more machine than man. The greater Imperium doesn't like how mechanic they have become after their Primarch, Ferrus Manus, died (10.000 years ago). The Mechanicus do like cyber enhancemets quite a bit, so they have a great bond with the Iron Hands, but it isn't just the mutual hate for flesh that keeps these factions together, it's the political power they grant each other. Having the Mechanicus, the weapon dealers of the Emperium on your side makes you completely immune to all sorts of political and ethical discourse. Having one of the 9 loyalist legions on your side grants plenty military protection and a greater claim to ressources.

Because they love cyberenhancements so much, you can add close all maner of mechanical parts to your marines without having it look out of place.

They're also massive assh*les that dislike everybody, you're more likely to get help from the tyranids than the Iron Hands.

Aginor and Warden like this.