1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 3200 points, Fire Slann vs. Orc and Goblin war machines

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Scalenex, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

My Army

I built my army around using my new custom LM d3s and artillery dice as much as possible.

Slann, BSB, Standard of Discipline, Lore of Fire, Obsidian Lodestone, Iron Curse Icon, Harmonic Convergence, Channeling Staff, Reservoir of Eldritch Energy, Soul of Stone, Channeling Staff
    Saurus Oldblood, Glittering Scales, Fencer's Blades, Potion of Speed, Obsidian Amulet

Scar Veteran, Armor of Destiny, Cold One, Great Weapon (something on this list needs to hit at high Strength)
    Skink Priest, L1 Lore of Beasts (or maybe Heavens for war machine control), Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring of Ruin.
    Skink Chief, Charmed Shield, Egg of Quango, Ripperdactyl, Spear, light armor

38 Sword and board Saurus Warriors with FC
    20 Cohort Skinks with FC (because I take them on every list and they rarely let me down)
    13 Javelin Skirmishers with Patrol leader (to protect Skink Priest)
    10 Blowpipe Skirmishers (monster hunters)
    10 Javelin Skirmishers (to do whatever I feel like telling them unless they run away)

37 Temple Guard, FC, Warrior Bane, Banner of Eternal Flame
    3 Terradon Riders, Brave, Fireleech Bolas

3 Razordons
    2 Salamanders
    2 Salamanders
    1 Salamander with extra snack

Orc and Goblin Army
    I do not know all the magic items used since many did not come up

Black Orc Warboss on Wyvern, Ruby Ring of Ruin
    L4 Savage Orc Great Shaman, Lucky Shrunken Head

Black Orc BSB, Terrifying Mask of EEE!

L1 Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll
    L1 Night Goblin Shaman

60 sword and board Night Goblins with FC (no Fanatics or Netters)
    ~40 Savage Orc Big Uns with Stabbas and FC
    10 Arrer Boys with Musician
    10 Wolf Riders with FC (or maybe just a musician, I forget)

10 x 1 Goblin Spear Chukkas (a special rule allows extra choices for this one unit)
    3 Goblin Wolf Riders
    ~30 Black Orcs with Full Command

2 Rock Lobbers with Orc Bully
    1 Goblin Doom Diver

(No trolls to burn, no giants to inject full of poison)

We rolled a Battleline.

My friend and I used a themed terrain generator we made together to represent the Badlands and got a mere five terrain pieces: Mysterious Forest, Rocky field (dangerous terrain), modified mysterious swamp (so 50% of normal swamp), Charnel Pit, and an impassable rock feature. I won table side choice and chose the side without the Charnel Pit because a Charnel Pits really stung me hard in a previous game.

The Charnel pit was in the back center of my opponent’s deployment zone and the Ld penalty it cuased never came up. The Mysterous Forest was in the center towards me, I deployed some Skinks there and found it to be an ordinary forest. It was good that the forest didn’t try to kill me because I moved a lot of units through it. The rock field was in the center right sort of towards the O&G. The rock feature was hugging the left side of the board towards the center and the swamp was in the center left slightly towards the O&G.

Blowpipes, Single Sally, Razors, double Sally, 10 javelin (ripper ahead), TG, Saurus horde, Cohort (Terradons in front of them), Sallies, 13 Skirmishers

Bolt Throwers and the heavier artillery pieces lined the whole back table edge. The Wyvern deployed near the back edge towards the center. Left to right, the second row of Orc units looked this: Arrer Boys, Boar Chariot, Boar Chariot, Wolf Chariot unit, Black Orcs, Savage Orcs, Night Goblins, One Bolt Thrower that didn’t fit in the back, and the Wolf Riders.

I boldly Vanguarded my flyers up as far as I could. The Wolf Riders chose not to Vanguard.

Arrer, Boar, Boar, Wolf, Black Orcs, Savage Orcs, NG, Bolt Wolf

Orc and Goblin Turn 1

Wolf riders failed an Animosity roll but rolled the beneficial result giving them a free move followed by a charge easily forcing my Terradons into close combat. The Savage Orcs failed a test and squabbled, The Wolf Chariots charged my Ripper chief, all three charging through the swamp with no issue, The Night Goblins, Boar Chariots, Black Orcs, and Wyvern advanced

A Goblin Shaman killed five Cohort Skinks with Vindictive glare. Ruby Ring killed a few Skink Skirmishers. Then he irresistibly cast Sneaky Stabbin on Wolf Riders, kills 3 Night Goblins from Detonation.

Rock Lobber tries to kill Scar Veteran and deviates into empty space. The Rock Lobber misfired and lost it’s shot this turn and the next one, likewise for the Doom Diver. One Bolt Thrower misfired and lost its shot next turn. Three bolt throwers had orcs blocking the line of fire. The other six all missed.

Ripper chief inflicts two wounds with egg, then dies quickly against the Wolf chariots. The Wolf Chariots overran out of the Swamp and took five wounds doing so. That left one chariot standing. The Terradon riders killed three wolf riders and took three wounds themselves, they broke and were caught. The Wolf Riders pursuit left them mere inches from my Skink Cohort and a pair of Salamanders.

LM Turn 1

Cohort and Sallies charge wolves, who flee the Sallies, losing two riders fleeing across the rocky field, Sallies and javelin Skinks charge wolf chariot rest advance. My blowpipe Skinks couldn’t advance forward easily because they had to go around the impassable rock feature.

Pretty lackluster phase despiting having twelve power dice against Five dispel. Ruby Ring was dispelled. I cast Iceshard Blizzard on the one working rock lobber then cast Sword of Rhuin on TG just in case the Orcs charged. Piercing Bolts of Burning was dispelled with scroll, Flame cage faied the casting roll.

Salamander shots fell short, Razordons took wounds off a Boar chariot. Javelins killed one fleeing wolf rider.

Salamanders and Cohort Skinks easily kill the last Wolf Chariot.

O&G Turn 2

Arrer boys squabble (but they would have thrown stuff at nearby ally if they weren’t so isolated) Wounded boar chariot charges lone Sally. Wolf Riders fail to rally and flee through some artillery off the board Wyvern flies BEHIND my Saurus horde. Night Goblins get right in the face of said Goblin horde. Orcs advance a bit, the black orcs barely move at all in order to let the savage orcs catch up with them. The non-wounded boar chariot goes around swamp.

My Skink Cohort gets no damage at all from Vindictive Glare, considering the same spell did five last turn, this was surprising. I dispelled Fireball, Fist of Gork was successfully cast (which was a Remains In Play so it would become important later).

One Bolt thrower rattles apart, another wounds a Sally twice. The rest either miss or don’t have line of sight. Lots of shots NEARLY hit my Razordons which may have confused and/or aroused them. Surely shooting projectiles is used in their mating displays… The Rock lobber that wasn’t recovering from a misfire lost it’s shot due to Iceshard.

Boar chariot kills Sally overruns into blowpipes Skinks conveniently just BARELY out of Razordons’ charge arc.

LM Turn 2

My Saurus Horde had Night Goblins right in their face with Savage Orcs ready for a short charge that I couldn’t charge because the Night Goblins were in the way and the Wyvern was behind them. I decided charging into the Night Goblin tar pit was the lesser of several evils. My right most pair of Salamanders tried to charge a war machine and whiffed their charge roll.

My Cohort failed a swift reform, so they regular reformed to shoot the Wyvern at long range (not short). My Skink priest abandoned the Skirmishers and joined the Cohort. Then my Skirmishers marched up to the exposed section of the O&G gunline (the right side). My other Salamanders and my Razordons lined up for shots on the nearest infantry, while the six remaining javelin Skirmishers from my other unit ran around the side of a Boar Chariot.

Seven power dice versus five dispel dice. Flaming Sword was dispelled, I cast Flame Cage on the Savage Orcs, and Ice Shard Blizzard on the Wyvern failed

Cohort wounds wyvern once with their javelins. The Razordons failed to inflict any wounds on the chariot they were targeting and decided to eat three handlers but I didn’t mind because I had SoB dice to tell me this. I wounded a Boar chariot with a javelin, now neither chariot was at full strength. My largest Skirmisher unit failed to inflict a single wound on the bolt thrower they targeted. I killed two Black Orcs with Salamander fire.

Predictably, my blowpipe Skirmishers lose horribly versus the chariot, fail to roll snake eyes, and are run down. My Saurus horde killed both Night Goblin Shamans and fifteen rank and file but it’s a Steadfast unit in range of the general and BSB so the Goblins weren’t going anywhere.

Orc Turn 3

The Wyvern War boss, Savage Orcs Big Uns, and of the Boar chariots all smash into my Sauri Horde. On the plus side, the Savage Orcs lost around a dozen models to my Flame Cage. The Archers failed an animosity test which forced them to charge six javelin Skinks who fled right in front of my Salamanders. The second time Animosity made a unit do what my friend was planning to order them to do anyway.

The only spell successfully cast was an IF Ere’ We Go with a negligible miscast.

Bolt throwers finally have a good round. Three hits kill my right most pair of Sallies. My left most pair of Sallies takes a wound from another bolt. One rock lobber misfired, losing a shot, the other barely nicked a Salamander inflicting no damage. The Doom Diver misfires again rolling the result where they lose two turns of shots again.

My Scar Veteran killed the Savage Orc Shaman in a challenge despite his mighty Fist of Gork. My Sauri killed a few units, but I still lost combat by 19 points. They were routed and ran down. On the plus side, the Sauri block had single handedly killed every enemy wizard.

LM Turn 3

The 13 Skirmishers charge the front most bolt thrower. My Cohort charges the chariot which killed my big Saurus block. The TG charge the Black Orcs. My Razordons turn to the other chariot and my surviving Salamanders point at the Orc archers,

8 vs 6 dice matchup. I cast flaming sword on the Cohort Skinks, Cascading Cloak on the TG (killed two Black Orcs). Ice Shard Blizzard was dispelled ice shard and flame cage failed.

One Salamander killed four Orcs and the other ate two handlers. The Razordons ate two handlers and fired a lot of shots which failed to damage anything.

My Javelin Skirmishers in close combat failed to inflict a single wound on the Bolt Thrower crew they were fighting. My Cohort Skinks put a wound on the Boar chariot and lose a Skink in return, winning but failing to break the chariot. The TG beat the Black Orcs by a slight margin and I naturally fail to break them too, but at least my Old Blood REALLY pasted the unit champion.

Orc Turn 4

Night Goblins charge the Cohort Skinks. The Big Uns back up the Black Orcs by charging the Temple Guard. Archers animosity charge the surviving Salamanders and fail to make it. The badly wound Boar chariot charges the Razordons. The Razordons continue their unimpressive streak by inflicting no damage at all on the chariot and eating two more handlers.

He used some his power dice to shut down my Cascading Cloak, the rest went into his Ruby Ring Fireball. I scrolled it figuring the Skink Priest scroll caddy was not long for this world.

One Bolt thrower blew up, two failed to fire, one hit but failed to wound, another had no line of sight. The rest just plain missed. The doom diver was recovering from the previous misfire. One rock lobber killed a Salamander and two Skinks. The other lobber sailed wide

A Razordon took a wound fighting the chariot and the Razordon pack’s last handler was slain, but the chariot was completely destroyed. I passed the Monster Reaction test. My engaged skirmishers killed two crewman, broke the unit then pursued into a rock lobber. My Cohort Skinks lost badly against the chariot and Night Goblins and were out of the Slann’s range and broke. I rolled double sixes letting the escape destruction and leading their pursuers away from my more important troops.

My Old blood issued another challenge and killed the savage orc champion with no overkill, I killed 10 savage orcs and 5 Black orcs only losing five Temple Guard. The Savage Orcs broke and ran but Black Orcs with BSBs don’t run.

LM Turn 4

Razordons and Salamander charged the Arrer Boys who met one charge with a Stand and Shoot and the second with a flee. My running Skink cohort failed to rally and went off the table taking my Skink Priest with them. The tattered remains of my unengaged Skirmisher unit advanced.

I cast Flame Cage on the badly wounded Orc chariot that killed so many of my models, killing it. Then I cast Cascading Fire Cloak and burned four more Black Orcs.

My only shooting was from two or three Skirmishers who whiffed.

Killed a rock lobber crew with skirmishers

Killed two rock lobber crew in CC and broke it but I lost one Skink to the bully. TG lost two killed almost all of the remaining Black Orcs. There were no more sacrificial unit champions left, so my Oldblood pummeled the crap out of the Black Orc BSB after drinking the Potion of Speed.

Orc Turn 5

Wyvern Warboss charged Razordons but rolled a very poor distance and failed to reach them. The fleeing Savage Orcs failed to rally and ran through the Night Goblins panicking them.

He snuffed out my Cascading Fire Cloak. I dispelled his attempt at Fireball, but I used ALL my dice so no power die could be passed to next round.

The surviving Rock lobber rolled a nonfatal misfire. Doom Diver rolled the misfire that loses two rounds of shots for the third time this game. Another bolt thrower cut my two-man Skirmisher unit in half.

My Oldblood killed the few remaining Black Orcs before the Temple Guard could even get any attacks in. I reformed to face the Wyvern War Boss which was VERY close thanks to his failed charge last round.

LM Turn 5

My larger Skirmisher block charged a bolt thrower. My last surviving Sally charged the surviving rock lobber. The last survivor of my other Skirmisher unit boldly charged a bolt thrower. My Temple Guard charged the Wyvern who fled and got a very terrible flee roll. Thus, he was run down though I lost a TG as my unit clipped the swamp.

Most of my magic phase was shut down by dispel dice (or the fact that my Slann had no line of sight on any enemies), but I put Flame Cage on the fleeing Night Goblins killing an insignificant number of them.

My larger Skirmisher unit killed a Bolt Thrower and overran into another Bolt Thrower. The Salmander broke the Rock Lobber. I failed to restrain pursuit and it went off the table. My lone Skirmisher miraculously single handedly broke the Bolt Thrower crew he was fighting. I chose to have him pursue off the table so as not to be on the receiving end of ALL surviving artillery.

Orc Turn 6

The Night Goblins rallied, but my friend chose NOT to reform so not to trigger the Flame Cage. The Savage Orcs rallied too but they were a long distance away from the nearest enemy unit by this point.

Nothing to do with magic.

Shooting saw two Razordons die, but I still had one member left in that pack.

My Skirmishers killed another bolt thrower

LM Turn 6

My Razordons charged a Bolt Thrower. My larger Skirmisher block attempted a long shot charge on a bolt thrower and failed. My Salamander and gutsy Skink Skirmisher arrived back on the table but there wasn’t anything they could do at this point. I turned my Temple Guard to give my Slann line of sight on the Savage Orcs and Night Goblins.

I cast Flame Cage on the Night Goblins, then used Kindleflame plus a miscast-tempting amount of dice to beat my opponents dispel killing seventeen Night Goblins with Piercing Bolts of Burning (I put my custom D3 dice to good use). Happily the Night Goblins panicked taking them off the table.

My Razordon killed a bolt thrower.

Wrap Up

I lost my Scar Veteran, my Skink Priest, my Cohort, and my Saurus Horde, two Salamander packs and my Blowpipe Skirmishers.

My opponent lost two rock lobbers, most of his bolt throwers, his Black Orcs, his BSB, his Warboss, his Wolf Riders, all of his chariots, and all three shamans.

After our last game, I thought the table terrain here was pretty tame but I’m fairly pleased with our first trial run of our new theme sets.

The Bolt Throwers seem pretty ineffective. Remember though, they only cost 35 points each. Collectively they did okay killing four war beasts and four or five Skinks. The other War machines were only 80 or 90 points.

A quadruple teamed Saurus block died quickly. Double teaming a TG is insufficient for O&G though.

If I run a Fire Slann again at the grand army point size, I should probably take TWO Skink priests. I didn’t get as many chances to cast Piercing Bolts of Burning as I would have liked. If I had more than one direct damage spell the Slann would have felt REALLY hamstrung.

I shouldn’t Vanguard my flyers right up to the enemy’s face just because I can.

My friend really likes chariots (he built his chariots by hand and they look great), so I’m going to see them often. I’m not great at countering them. Razordons keep them from totally butchering my Skirmishing units but the chariots are still killing more than their points value. I need a better anti-chariot strategy then I have. Maybe non-Vanguarding Rippers?

This was the first game I played in a very long time without any Chameleon Skinks. At the larger point games like this, this is probably a good idea given how few opportunities there are to Scout things very deep. My Skirmishers and War Beasts did just fine ripping up war machines.

While I miss having big dinosaurs, a large number of war beasts is surprisingly effective. It was unintentionally a good counter to the O&G gun line which I was not expecting to see. As is often the case, my war beasts seem to help more in CC than shooting.