1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 3000 Points, LM vs. Orcs vs. Haunted Pass

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Scalenex, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I started 2014 with my first Slann-less game with the new book against one of my best friends. He whupped me with Dwarves, High Elves, and Lizardmen many times but this was only his second game with Orcs and Goblins.

I may have missed some minor details composing this battle report. My Skink Skirmishers did a lot of fleeing and rallying, I don't remember exactly which rounds they did what, only that they were more liability than asset.

Saurus Oldblood, Great Weapon, Armor of Destiny, Iron Curse Icon Carnosaur, Loping Stride, Bloodroar

Scar Veteran, Light Armor, Enchanted shield
    L2 Beast Caste Skink Priest with Dispel Scroll,
    L2 Beast Caste Skink Priest with Scroll of Shielding,
    Skink Chief with Charmed Shield, light armor, spear, Ripperdactyl

2 x 32 Saurus Warriors full command, (blue and green)
    2 x10 Skink Skirmishers with javelins and shields and Braves

2 x 7 Chameleon Skinks
    1 Bastiladon with Solar Engine

Ancient Stegadon with Giant Blowpipes and Unstoppable Stampede
    Ancient Stegadon with EOTG and Unstoppable Stampede
    2 Razordons with six handlers
    1 Salamander with four handlers

Orc Warboss, Armor of Destiny, Obsidian Blade, Shield, Wyvern
    Orc Great Shaman, L4 Skull Wand, Powerstone (unused).

Black Orc Big Boss, BSB, Talisman of Preservation, Shield, Potion of Speed (unused)
    Night Goblin Shaman, Dispel Scroll

60 sword and board Night Goblins with FC and three Fanatics and Netters
    36 Big Un Orc Boys with Sword and Board and FC and a Razor Standard which may have been forgotten about
    20 Night Goblin Archers with FC and two Fanatics
    10 Wolf Riders with Spears and full command

3 Goblin Wolf Chariots fielded as one unit
    2 x 1 Orc Boar Chariot
    1 Goblin Spear Chukka

2 x 1 Rock Lobber with Orc Bully
    1 Goblin Doom Diver
    6 River Trolls
    1 Giant

My friend and I played a Battle for the Pass (lengthwise on the table). Apparently it was a haunted pass. Not only was the terrain all similarly themed with a death motif, but we lost about 500 points of models between the two of us purely to terrain features.

We rolled two ghost fences and a haunted mansion, then an Encampment of Destruction with another Haunted Mansion and three other buildings and an obstacle which we decided to make a Ghost Fence to keep with the theme. There was also a River of Blood and a Boiling flood which forked together. There was an inconsequential hill and building. We also had a venom thicket.
    My side of the board had an inconsequential building in the corner. The Boiling flood clipped my other corner and the River of Blood was just barely beyond my deployment zone. On the bottom of the table just across the river was the Encampment of Destruction and both Haunted Mansions. On the top of the table just past the river was the Venom Thicket. The ghost fences kind of made a U into the neutral zone of the table drifting toward the Orc side. There was a watch tower in the neutral zone on the opposite table edge from the haunted village just barely in the Orc deployment zone.

My Blue Skink Priest got Wyssans and Beast of Horros. My Green Skink Priest got Curse of Anaheir and Transformation of Kadon. The Orc Great Shaman had most of Gork’s limbs. He had Foot of Gork, Hand of Gork, Fist of Gork, and Ere’ We Go. The Goblin Shaman had Itchy Nuisance but never tried to cast it.

Bottom to top I had my Cohort behind the haunted village, then my Salamander, then my Razordon, green Saurus and BSB, then my vanilla Ancient Steggy, then the Solardon, then the EOTG Steggy, then the blue Saurus, then Carnosaur. My other Skirmishers and Priest were hiding behind my three big dinosaurs.

I Vanguarded my Ripper into the Haunted Village. One unit of the Chameleon Skinks had the honor of being the first unit into the Venom Thicket. The other was stuck in the middle of the table. That was a punishment assignment. If they were competent scouts they wouldn’t have lead my army into this Old Ones forsaken pass would they?

The two rocker lobbers and the doom diver all hugged the back of my opponent’s deployment zone. The Spear Chukka deployed in the watch tower opposite of the haunted village where the six river trolls were occupying a building on the far edge. The Wyvern was in the dead center of the Orc Deployment zone with the Big Uns above him and larger Night Goblin block below him. The Giant was behind the building and the two Orc Boar chariots hugged the top of the table above the watch tower. The wolf chariots were below the Night Goblins and the Wolf Riders were below them. My opponent forgot his wolf rider’s Vanguard.

Orc Turn 1

The Wolf Riders failed their Animosity test, but they rolled the beneficial Animosity result where they get a free move and then charged the nearest thing making up for their forgotten Vanguard move. The Wolf Riders charged my Chameleon Skinks who fled. They lost a rider crossing the ghost fence though (the table’s first blood)

The Orcs and Wyvern advanced to occupy a ghost fence. The bigger Goblin block couldn’t quite reach the fence. The Giant lined up with the advancing infantry blocks as did the Wolf Chariots. The smaller Night Goblin block advanced a bit towards the Venom Thicket while the two Boar chariots went up to the edge of the Venom Thicket where my Chameleon Skinks were hiding. The River Trolls exited their building.

No spells were successfully cast this round, but I had to burn my Dispel Scroll to stop an augmented Foot of Gork spell.

The bolt thrower missed, one rock hit my vanilla Ancient Steggy spot on and inflicted three wounds. The second rock nicked my other two big dinosaurs inflicting no wounds. The Night Goblin archers took some pot shots at something and whiffed. The Doom Diver rattled itself apart. One of the Haunted Mansion hit my Ripper Chief several times inflicting no wounds but causing me to waste my Charmed Shield, then it killed a wolf rider. The other Haunted Mansion wounded a River Troll.

At the end of the turn the Boiling Flood killed three Skink Skirmishers causing them to panic, flee through my Razordons and panick them too. Mahrlect! Curse you table!

Lizarden Turn 1

My Ripper Chief charged the exposed flank of the Goblin Wolf Riders. My fleeing Chameleon Skinks rallied ending up in the way of my blue Saurus. My Skink Skirmishers rallied but they still had a few models in the Boiling Flood. My Razordons also rallied.

My two Saurus blocks and my three big dinos advanced as much as they could impeded by a river and recently rallied Chameleon Skinks. On the opposite side of the river my Carnosaur did likewise. My Salamander marched into the haunted village. My other Chameleon Skinks ran right up to the nearest Boar Chariot. The Razordons advanced upwards behind him. My Cohort occupied a building on my edge of the Haunted Village. A unit of Chameleon Skinks triggered the Night Goblin Archer unit’s Fanatics. One died in the venom thicket, the other stopped just short of my Chameleon Skinks.

I roasted a troll with the Solardon, but the rest of my magic phase was a wash.

My Cohort Skinks failed to wound a troll with their javelins. My Chameleon Skinks shot the Fanatic in front of them killing it dead. The Haunted Mansion killed a wolf rider and a Cohort Skink. It almost wounded the River Trolls and my Ripper Chief.

My Ripper Chief won combat with multiple wounds, a charge and a flank, while receiving no wounds in return. Unfortunately the Wolf Riders still had five models, so they were Steadfast with one rank and thus held. This exposed the Ripper Chief’s flank to the River Trolls.

The turn ended with the Boiling Flood killing another few Skinks and wounded my Carnosaur. Mahrlect! Curse you table!

Orc Turn 2

The Trolls charged my exposed Ripper Chief. A Boar Chariot advanced in front of my Chameleon Skinks.

The larger Night Goblin block joined the Ghost Fence line with the Warboss and Big Uns who all decided stayed put and let the war machines and terrain soften me up. The unengaged Boar Chariot followed the charging one wheeling around carefully to avoid the Venom Thicket. I don’t remember what the Night Goblin archers did here since they basically stopped doing anything useful for rest of the game.

Magic saw foot augment foot of Gork cast on my Blue Saurus. Gork stepped on my boys twice before he got bored and wandered off. Thanks to my Scroll of Shielding I only lost around seven Sauri.

“Can’t believe I survived those two giant green feet from the sky!” THUD said the Saurus unit champion just before a stray rock flattened him, the men were too tired to tell the sir to look out. The other Rock Lobber killed my wounded Stegadon. The Bolt Thrower and Night Goblin Archers failed to hurt my Carnosaur. The Haunted Mansions killed another Cohort Skink or two and then wounded a troll (the trolls were taking fire from BOTH mansions so were taking a lot of shots), then the ghosts killed a Chameleon Skink and took out a Salamander handler.

My Skink Chief killed another wolf rider, but the River Trolls predictably pulverized my Ripper Chief. They restrained their overrun.

Lizardmen Turn 2

A block of Chameleon Skinks and my Ancient Stegadon charged the three wolf riders in range. The Wolf Riders got a bad flee attempt and they got run down by both my units. In hindsight I should have charged with just one of those units. The successful charge was close enough to trigger the larger Night Goblin block’s fanatics. One bowled through my Chameleon Skinks but it rolled subpar, only killing one or two of them. The others fell short.

My Sauri and large dinosaurs finally cleared the &#*! river. My Salamander angled for a shot on the River Trolls. My Razordons and Skirmishers advanced to make up for all the ground they lost by fleeing earlier. My top most Chameleon Skinks ran up to the face of the nearest Boar Chariot.

This was my best magic phase all game. I cast Curse of Anaheir on one of the chariots in the Venom Thicket. Then I Irresistibly Force cast Burning Alignment to kill all three Goblin Fanatics, a Wolf Chariot and inflict a wound on the Wyvern. I don’t remember if I nicked the orcs or Night Goblins, but the damage was pretty minor if I did.

My Salamander wounded a troll, which allowed my Cohort Skinks and the Haunted Mansions (which seem to have been haunted by ghosts of troll victims!) to bring down the trolls to a mere three models, one wounded. My bold Chameleon Skinks inflicted two wounds on the Boar Chariot in front of them.

Orc Turn Three

The Boar Chariot charged my Chameleon Skinks and took a wound from the Venom Thicket. Another Boar Chariot was destroyed completely in the Venom Thicket trying to charge my Carnosaur (I’m starting to rethink my harsh words towards this table though the table needed the assist from Curse of Anaheir to get the job done). The Wolf Chariots and Wyvern charged my Ancient Stegadon.

An augmented Foot of Gork was cast successfully, but scattered wildly. Gork stomped on the empty area behind one of my Skirmisher units twice then meandered off. He also cast Brainbusta and killed one of my Skink Priests (the one

One rocker lobber wiped out my Bastiladon, but the other missed my troops by a wide margin. The Bolt Thrower missed again. The Haunted Mansion killed a Skink or two but that’s it. The ghosts were clearly getting tired.

Predictably my Chameleon Skinks died against the chariot. My Ancient Stegadon broke and was run down, but on the plus side the Wyvern took a few wounds from my Ancient Stegadon and dangerous terrain tests.

LM Turn 3

My green Sauri charged the Wolf Chariots to avenge the Ancient Stegadon. My Carnosaur general charged the Chariot that killed my Chamleon Skink unit.

One of my Skink priests was dead and the Solar Engine was gone so I only had two spells left I could cast. I had recently lost three dinosaurs, so cast an augmented Transformation of Kadon to bring in a new giant monster into play only to draw out a dispel scroll.

My Salamander managed to burn about five Night Goblins but the 18 inch command range general would not let them run away. My various poisoned shooting whiffed this turn. The Haunted Mansions wounedd my Salamander once (who was sandwiched in range of both of them) and killed a few Skinks and Goblins too.

My green Sauri easily destroyed the two Wolf Chariots and then overran into the River Trolls. My Carnosaur whiffed taking a wound and barely beating the chariot. Then the general pursued the chariot off the table.

O&G Turn 4

The Wyvern General charged my Blue Saurus. The giant and Big Uns tried to join but didn’t make it.

My friend miscast a Foot of Gork spell and took around a dozen Big Uns and wounded the wizard with Calamitous Detonation (no Vortex sucking occurred though).

I think the Bolt Thrower killed a single Saurus (though that might have been turn 3 where it got it’s one and only kill this game). I don’t remember if the rock lobbers did nothing or killed a few Cohort Skinks.

My blue Sauri got lucky and broke and ran down the enemy general and run down the enemy general

LM Turn 4

I charged my Green Saurus into the wolf chariots. My Cohort Skinks had nothing left to shoot in range so they exited their building eager to get away from the ghosts which had already killed five of them. My general reemerged on the edge of the table mildly embarrassed. My blue Sauri tried to reposition themselves to better handle the inevitable counter charge of the Giant and Big Uns.

This magic phase was a wash.

My Salamander killed an insignificant number of Night Goblins. My other shooting whiffed. The ghosts didn’t do much significant either.

My Green Saurus destroyed the wolf chariots and overran into the River Trolls.

O&G Turn 5

The big Night Goblin block made a long distance charge on my Salamander. The giant and Big Un’s charged my Blue Sauri.

Magic was a wash.

The Rock Lobbers put a wound or two on my Razordons. The Bolt thrower did nothing as usual. They killed a few Goblins and killed my Salamander ending the close combat before it began. Night Goblins call this winning fair and square.

Between the slime and the Regeneration save. My BSB and 30 odd Saurus failed to inflict a single wound on the Trolls who killed two Sauri. The Trolls lost anyway due to static CR but they held. These were most disciplined trolls I’ve ever seen. My Blue Trolls lost but held.

LM Turn 5

Both my Oldblood general and my Cohort Skinks charged in to save the remants of my blue Saurus unit. The Venom Thicket took the last wound from my Carnosaur meaning my Oldblood finally entered the battlefield on foot. My Razordons advanced towards the Bolt Thrower, my Chameleon Skinks advanced towards a Rock Lobber and my green Sauri did a swift reform and headed in the general direction of the Rock Lobbers. My remaining Skirmishers hung back but tried to get my last Skink into a good range for his augments

Thanks to a lucky channel on my opponent’s part and a bad winds of magic roll for me, I got no spells off.

I had nothing to shoot, but the Haunted Mansion managed to peg a Saurus.

My Green Saurus got a wound or two on the trolls and broke them. The trolls got away sling-shotting through a haunted mansion. My general chopped down the enemy giant and the Big Uns exchanged wounds with the Sauri and the Skink Cohort. I won combat by a slim margin, but the Big Uns weren’t going to break.

O&G Turn 6

The few surviving River Trolls failed to rally and fled off the board. The rest of his stuff couldn't move.

His Orc Shaman cast foot of Gork which got irresistible force. The foot scattered out of harm’s way and the Calamitous Detonation killed many Orc Big Uns (the shaman was unscathed though). That’s three augmented Foot of Gork spells with no miscast. Two normal ones with a miscast. To add insult to injury, Gork deviate and stomped on bear ground again. The miscast killed a number of Big Uns but left the shaman unscathed.

My remaining Skink priest’s unit was too small for a look out sir. He died to a rock lobber. The other war machines missed.

In the melee between my Cohort and Blue Saurus against the Big Uns, my wounded general issued a challenge and got killed by the Fist of Gork enhanced Shaman. Despite having my general killed, I won the combat overall though the Orcs did not break.

LM Turn 6

My green Saurus (practically at full strength!) tried a long shot charge at a rock lobber and failed to reach them. My Razordons charged the watchtower with the bolt thrower in it. My three surviving Chameleon Skinks marched towards the second rock lobber.

I had no surviving casters but I used my power dice to dispel Fist of Gork just to have something to do.

My Chameleon Skinks inflicted one wound on a rock lobber, too little too late.

The Razordons predictably obliterated the spear chukka crew. The battle between the remnants of my Skink Cohort and Blue Saurus against the last of the Big Uns was a draw.

My points: Goblin Shaman, Black Orc Big Boss, Orc Warboss, General Bonus, one standard, on BSB, River Trolls, Spear Chukka, 3 Wolf Chariots, Doom Diver, 2 Boar Chariots, 60 Night Goblins, 10 wolf riders, 1 giant, 2216 points

My friends points: Old Blood, 2 Skink Priests, General Bonus, 1 Standard, 1 Salamander, 1 Bastiladon, 2 Ancient Stegadons, 1 Skink Chief, 1810 points

Approximate totals killed by the Table: Five or six Cohort Skinks, four or five Skirmishers, two or three Chameleon Skinks, two or three Sauri, two wounds off the Carnosaur (including it's last wound), all of a Salamander. A wound or two off the Wyvern, two trolls plus change, four or five Goblins, two or three Wolf Riders a couple Fanatics, one whole Boar chariot plus wounds on another.

What did I learn?

Hindsight is 20/20. This is my friends second go with Orcs and Goblins. We forgot to apply Choppas once or twice. Several O&G rules we had to retroactively apply. I should have been able to be more helpful because I own my own copy of the O&G book and my second most frequent gaming partner plays them almost exclusively.

I forgot to give myself the Ward save and casting bonus from the EOTG. I also accidentally gave myself 80 extra points. I forgot I took out a second Skirmisher unit to put in the Salamander. My opponent accidentally gave himself 5 extra points by undercosting a magic item. Since my Skirmishers did no real damage and failed to protect my Skink Priests I don’t think the extra 75 points swung it for me, but I am not happy about my mistake.

So first off I learned we should be more careful. We forgot a lot of rules and improperly costed our armies.

Second, I learned that Battle for the Pass makes it noticeably harder to kill enemy war machines. If the Doom Diver hadn't self destructed in turn one I think the game would have ended differently.

Third, I was reminded of just how important terrain can be. The table was deadly but we enjoyed it. By serendipity all the terrain on the table had a haunted hellish vibe. My friend and I have discussed replacing random terrain with rotating between different theme sets. Either building themed sets ahead of time or improvising a theme on game days based on the first interesting terrain piece rolled

Fourth, I gained new appreciation for Curse of Anaheir, I think I might like it MORE than Wyssans. Just as potent for the same casting cost but with three times the range. Given how much time my Wyssan's Skink Priest spent fleeing (and then dying) I rarely even got the opportunity to cast the spell.

Fifth, I saw what an 18 inch command range can do. The Wyvern General projected his leadership across pretty much over his whole army. This is why his trolls didn't do anything stupid and his Orcs didn't break much. I think my next Carnosaur will be a Scar Veteran BSB, my BSB did not project himself as well as I would have liked. I don’t LM really need an 18 inch Inspiring Presence though.

Finally, I learned I can do just fine without a Slann.

Our next game is a few days. I'll try not to take about three weeks to put up the battle report like with this one. I will be using this fiery list specifically built around maximizing use of my new load of customized d3 dice and war beast dice. If our schedules allow it, we will play another game a week later with each other's armies. There are so many great Orcs and Goblins options I can hardly choose and I am nervous. He's at least 75% successful when it comes to whupping me with my own Lizardmen though he has yet to try the new book.