1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2500 Hard-hitting list

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by TheGreatFatSlann, May 11, 2017.

1. TheGreatFatSlann
    Skink

TheGreatFatSlann Member

As someone with decent technical knowledge (i.e. watching lots of battle reports and planning out in my head) but comparatively little practical skill (only played a few games so far) I think I've come up with a very decent list, but I'd like to hear your opinions. I am trying to make an all-comers list that can handle pretty much anything, from killy warriors to shooty elves.

Lords:

Slann Mage-Priest (Lore of High Magic) – BSB: Skavenpelt Banner; Disciplines: Reservoir of Eldritch Energy, Soul of Stone, Harmonic Convergence, Focus of Mystery; Magic Items: Channeling Staff, The Egg of Quango

Heroes:

Saurus Scar-Veteran – Great Weapon; Magic Items: Armor of Destiny; Mount: Cold One

Skink Priest (Lore of Beasts) – Magic Items: Dispel Scroll

Skink Chief – Spear, Light armour, Shield; Magic Items: Sacred Stegadon Helm of Itza; Mount: Ripperdactyl, Luckstone, Ironcurse Icon

Core:

Saurus Warriors x 35 – Hand weapon + Shield, Spawn Leader, Musician, Standard Bearer

Skink Skirmishers x 11

Skink Skirmishers x 10

Skink Skirmishers x 10

Special:

Temple Guard x 27 – Revered Guardian, Standard Bearer – War Banner, Musician

Rare:

Ancient Stegadon – Sharpened Horns

Ancient Stegadon – Sharpened Horns

Idea behind this list: Slann in the TG bunker will arcane unforge/convocation anything thats a threat, and once the TG get into combat i will have switched in enough lore of life spells to buff them, plus the priest's wyssans. The frenzy banner will help, and the war banner will add that +1 combat to hopefully not lose frenzy. Saurus are my anvil, and stegadons will flank charge (or maybe a well-placed walk between worlds will slam them into a multi-wound monster and smear it with D6+1 D3 impact hits). The skink chief is there to hunt warmachines.

My only worry is the cowboy, I dont know what to do with him. I know some people swear by him, but being as Ive no real practical experience, Im afraid I would misplay him and get him killed. He isnt as tough as an oldblood, only 2 wounds and not enough points to get a dawnstone, which IMO really hurts his survivability. How do you use him? Just chill in the TG and soak up the frenzy and all the buffs the Slann casts? Or run on his own doing... things?

n810 likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

... Curious, why would you put the Skavenpelt Banner in an all comers list,
    you know it only works against Skaven armies... right ?

I think most people end up using the cowboy as a flanker for your forward units.
    like you Stegadons or your Saurus.

3. TheGreatFatSlann
    Skink

TheGreatFatSlann Member

Yeah but the Skavenpelt Banner also gives my TG frenzy, so all the front models will get an extra attack (that can also trigger PF).

Can a single cowboy really do that much in a flank charge though? He's only 4 attacks, when its all said and done he might add 3-4 to my overall combat res. I had the impression that people used him to clear out annoying chaff or kill lone heroes, but i feel my magic will be able to deal with most chaff and against enemy lords the cowboy is subpar and will probably die.

The units which I somewhat regret not taking here are a carnosaur (but he would be a cannon magnet), some more war machine hunters (like chameleons or rippers) in case my chief gets sniped, and a few salamanders to help with flaming large infantry blocks in case magic (i.e. fiery convocation) doesnt go as planned, but I dont think any of those are more valuable than any of the things ive already put in. I also see a lot of people playing bastiladons, but unless youre really weak on magic i fail to see his usefulness. In most games ive watched he usually dies outright, does very little damage even with the s10 attack and thunderstomp, and the +1 I bonus is usually negligible.

Captaniser likes this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"Skavenpelt Banner also gives my TG frenzy"
    oh yea I forgot it did that too, I'm thinking of the 7th edition version, where it only did stuff vs. Skaven.

Well 3-4 is nothing to scoff at,
    but he can also be use a general
    purpose tool charging to meet any
    challenge you may face, and don't
    forget coldones cause fear.